Affiliation: National Institutes of Health
- Human embryonic stem cells: mechanisms to escape replicative senescence?Xianmin Zeng
Buck Institute for Age Research, 8001 Redwood Blvd, Novato, CA, 94945, USA
Stem Cell Rev 3:270-9. 2007..We will also discuss the genomic and epigenetic changes in long-term hESC culture and their potential roles in bypassing senescence, as well as alternative sources of pluripotent stem cells...
- Stable expression of hrGFP by mouse embryonic stem cells: promoter activity in the undifferentiated state and during dopaminergic neural differentiationXianmin Zeng
Section on Development and Plasticity, Cellular Neurobiology Research Branch, National Institute on Drug Abuse, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Stem Cells 21:647-53. 2003..The RSV promoter was inactive in undifferentiated, nestin-positive, and TH-positive cells. Thus, EF1 and CMV are effective promoters for transgene expression in undifferentiated ES cells and nestin-positive neural precursors...
- Gene expression profile of neuronal progenitor cells derived from hESCs: activation of chromosome 11p15.5 and comparison to human dopaminergic neuronsWilliam J Freed
Cellular Neurobiology Research Branch, Intramural Research Program IRP, National Institute on Drug Abuse, National Institutes of Health NIH, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
PLoS ONE 3:e1422. 2008..We initiated differentiation of human embryonic stem cells (hESCs) into dopamine neurons, obtained a purified population of neuronal precursor cells by cell sorting, and determined patterns of gene transcription...
- The therapeutic potential of embryonic stem cells: A focus on stem cell stabilityXianmin Zeng
Buck Institute for Age Research, 8001 Redwood Boulevard, Novato, CA 94945, USA
Curr Opin Mol Ther 8:338-44. 2006..Recent findings suggesting that the level of cell stability is not homogeneous throughout all stem cells are also discussed...
- A molecular scheme for improved characterization of human embryonic stem cell linesRichard Josephson
Stem Cell Center, American Type Culture Collection ATCC, Manassas, VA, USA
BMC Biol 4:28. 2006..However, hESC must be routinely analyzed at the genomic level to guard against deleterious changes during extensive propagation, expansion, and manipulation in vitro...
- Comparison of the gene expression profile of undifferentiated human embryonic stem cell lines and differentiating embryoid bodiesBhaskar Bhattacharya
Division of Cellular and Gene Therapies, Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research, Food and Drug Administration, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
BMC Dev Biol 5:22. 2005....
- Properties of pluripotent human embryonic stem cells BG01 and BG02Xianmin Zeng
Development and Plasticity Section, Cellular Neurobiology Research Branch, National Institute on Drug Abuse, Department of Health and Human Services, Baltimore, Maryland 21224, USA
Stem Cells 22:292-312. 2004..These data provide a detailed characterization and an initial gene expression profile for the BG01 and BG02 human ES cell lines...
- Dopaminergic differentiation of human embryonic stem cellsXianmin Zeng
Cellular Neurobiology Research Branch, National Institute on Drug Abuse, Baltimore, Maryland 21224, USA
Stem Cells 22:925-40. 2004..Therefore, hESCs can be used to generate human dopaminergic cells that exhibit biochemical and functional properties consistent with the expected properties of mature dopaminergic neurons...
- Assessing self-renewal and differentiation in human embryonic stem cell linesJingli Cai
Laboratory of Neurosciences, National Institute on Aging, Department of Health and Human Services, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Stem Cells 24:516-30. 2006..We show that qPCR, with as few as 12 selected genes, can reliably distinguish differentiated cells from undifferentiated hESC populations...
- BG01V: a variant human embryonic stem cell line which exhibits rapid growth after passaging and reliable dopaminergic differentiationXianmin Zeng
Cellular Neurobiology Branch, National Institute on Drug Abuse and NIH, DHHS, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Restor Neurol Neurosci 22:421-8. 2004..To explore a karyotypically abnormal variant human embryonic stem cell (hESC) line, BG01V, as a potential model for studies of dopaminergic neuronal differentiation...
- Genome wide profiling of human embryonic stem cells (hESCs), their derivatives and embryonal carcinoma cells to develop base profiles of U.S. Federal government approved hESC linesYing Liu
Laboratory of Neurosciences, National Institute on Aging Intramural Research Program, National Institutes of Health, Baltimore, Maryland 21224, USA
BMC Dev Biol 6:20. 2006....
- NTera2: a model system to study dopaminergic differentiation of human embryonic stem cellsCatherine M Schwartz
Gerontology Research Center, Stem Cell Biology Unit, Laboratory of Neurosciences, National Institute on Aging, National Institutes of Health, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Stem Cells Dev 14:517-34. 2005..Therefore, NTera2 cell dopaminergic neuronal differentiation and PSA-NCAM enrichment provides a useful system for the future study of hESCs...
- Efficient and rapid derivation of primitive neural stem cells and generation of brain subtype neurons from human pluripotent stem cellsYiping Yan
Primary and Stem Cell Culture Systems, Life Technologies, Frederick, Maryland, USA
Stem Cells Transl Med 2:862-70. 2013..This method of pNSC derivation sets the stage for the scalable production of clinically relevant neural cells for cell therapy applications in good manufacturing practice conditions. ..
- A focused microarray to assess dopaminergic and glial cell differentiation from fetal tissue or embryonic stem cellsYongquan Luo
Gerontology Research Center, Stem Cell Biology Unit, Laboratory of Neurosciences, National Institute on Aging, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Stem Cells 24:865-75. 2006..We suggest that this focused array will serve as a useful complement to other large-scale arrays in routine assessment of cell properties prior to their therapeutic use...
- An in vitro model of human dopaminergic neurons derived from embryonic stem cells: MPP+ toxicity and GDNF neuroprotectionXianmin Zeng
Intramural Research Program IRP, Cellular Neurobiology Research Branch, Department of Health and Human Services DHHS, National Institute on Drug Abuse NIDA, National Institutes of Health NIH, Baltimore, MD, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 31:2708-15. 2006....
- GABAergic lineage differentiation of AF5 neural progenitor cells in vitroJoseph F Sanchez
Development and Plasticity Section, Cellular Neurobiology Research Branch, Intramural Research Program, National Institute on Drug Abuse, NIH, DHHS, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Cell Tissue Res 324:1-8. 2006..Therefore, AF5 cells can be induced to differentiate to a neuronal phenotype with a GABAergic lineage...
- Human embryonic stem cells have enhanced repair of multiple forms of DNA damageScott Maynard
Laboratory of Molecular Gerontology, National Institute on Aging, NIH, Box 1, 5600 Nathan Shock Drive, Baltimore, Maryland 21224 6825, USA
Stem Cells 26:2266-74. 2008..These data suggest that genomic maintenance pathways are enhanced in human embryonic stem cells, relative to differentiated human cells...
- Genomic alterations in cultured human embryonic stem cellsAnirban Maitra
McKusick Nathans Institute of Genetic Medicine, Department of Pathology, The Sol Goldman Pancreatic Cancer Research Center, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Nat Genet 37:1099-103. 2005....
- Concise review: modeling central nervous system diseases using induced pluripotent stem cellsXianmin Zeng
XCell Science Inc, Novato, California, USA Buck Institute for Research on Aging, Novato, California, USA Laboratory of Stem Cell Biology, NIH Center for Regenerative Medicine, Bethesda, Maryland, USA National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences, NIH, Bethesda, Maryland, USA New York Stem Cell Foundation, New York, New York, USA
Stem Cells Transl Med 3:1418-28. 2014..This will undoubtedly lead to more sensitive and accurate screens for early diagnosis and allow the identification of patient-specific therapies, thus, paving the way to personalized medicine. ..
- Enhanced differentiation of human neural crest stem cells towards the Schwann cell lineage by aligned electrospun fiber matrixYong Juan Ren
Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Johns Hopkins University, 205 Maryland Hall, Baltimore, MD 21218, USA
Acta Biomater 9:7727-36. 2013....
- Functional screening assays with neurons generated from pluripotent stem cell-derived neural stem cellsAnastasia Efthymiou
1National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, USA
J Biomol Screen 19:32-43. 2014..These studies confirm that PSC-derived neurons can be used effectively in viability and functional assays and pave the way for high-throughput screens on neurons derived from patients with neurodegenerative disorders. ..
- Functional crosstalk between hOgg1 and the helicase domain of Cockayne syndrome group B proteinJingsheng Tuo
Laboratory of Molecular Gerontology, National Institute on Aging, National Institutes of Health, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
DNA Repair (Amst) 1:913-27. 2002..We conclude that CSB functions in the catalysis of 8-OH-Gua BER and in the maintenance of efficient hOgg1 expression, and that motif VI of the putative helicase domain of CSB is crucial in these functions...
- Characterization of a new NIH-registered variant human embryonic stem cell line, BG01V: a tool for human embryonic stem cell researchTodd W Plaia
Stem Cell Center, American Type Culture Collection, 10801 University Boulevard, Manassas, Virginia 20110, USA
Stem Cells 24:531-46. 2006....
- Generation and transplantation of dopaminergic neurons derived from embryonic stem cellsAparna Khanna
Embryonic Stem Cell Group, Reliance Life Sciences Pvt Ltd, Dhirubhai Ambani Life Sciences Centre, R 282, TTC Industrial Area of MIDC, Thane Belapur Road, Rabale, Navi Mumbai 400 701, India
Curr Stem Cell Res Ther 2:139-47. 2007..In this manuscript we discuss recent results, review the remarkable progress that has been made in the field, and compare these results with those obtained from mouse ESCs (mESCs)...
- Development of a focused microarray to assess human embryonic stem cell differentiationAmy X Yang
Laboratory of Molecular Tumor Biology, Division of Cellular and Gene Therapies, Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research, Food and Drug Administration, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Stem Cells Dev 14:270-84. 2005..We expect that the described array will be extremely useful in evaluating the extent of differentiation and the state of the hESC-derived population utilized for therapeutic purposes...
- Derivation and characterization of neuronal precursors and dopaminergic neurons from human embryonic stem cells in vitroMelissa Carpenter
The John P Robarts Research Institute, Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine, London, Ontario, Canada
Methods Mol Biol 331:153-67. 2006....
- Karyotypic stability, genotyping, differentiation, feeder-free maintenance, and gene expression sampling in three human embryonic stem cell lines derived prior to August 9, 2001Sandii N Brimble
BresaGen, Inc, Athens, GA 30605, USA
Stem Cells Dev 13:585-97. 2004..BG01, BG02, and BG03 hESCs are therefore independent, undifferentiated, and pluripotent lines that can be maintained without accumulation of karyotypic abnormalities...
- Monitoring differentiation of human embryonic stem cells using real-time PCRKarin Noaksson
Cellartis AB, Arvid Wallgrens Backe 20, 413 46 Goteborg, Sweden
Stem Cells 23:1460-7. 2005..The combination of QPCR with hESC-based technologies opens novel avenues for high-throughput analysis of hESCs in, for example, pharmacological and cytotoxicity screening...