Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: National Institutes of Health
- A genome-wide association analysis of serum iron concentrationsToshiko Tanaka
MedStar Research Institute, Baltimore, MD, USA
Blood 115:94-6. 2010..Our results confirm the association of TMPRSS6 variants with iron level and provide further evidence of association with other anemia-related phenotypes...
- Phosphodiesterase 8B gene variants are associated with serum TSH levels and thyroid functionLisette Arnaud-Lopez
Laboratory of Genetics, National Institute on Aging, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Am J Hum Genet 82:1270-80. 2008..This would affect production of T4 and T3 and feedback to alter TSH release by the pituitary. PDE8B may thus provide a candidate target for the treatment of thyroid dysfunction...
- Genome-wide Association Study of Parental Life SpanToshiko Tanaka
Translational Gerontology Branch, National Institute on Aging, Baltimore, Maryland
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci . 2016..Having longer lived parents has been shown to be an important predictor of health trajectories and life span. As such, parental life span is an important phenotype that may uncover genes that affect longevity...
- Genome-wide meta-analysis of observational studies shows common genetic variants associated with macronutrient intakeToshiko Tanaka
Translational Gerontology Branch, National Institute on Aging, Baltimore, MD 21225, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 97:1395-402. 2013..Macronutrient intake varies substantially between individuals, and there is evidence that this variation is partly accounted for by genetic variants...
- Genome-wide association analysis of total cholesterol and high-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels using the Framingham heart study dataLi Ma
Department of Animal Science, University of Minnesota, USA
BMC Med Genet 11:55. 2010..Here, we report single-locus and epistasis SNP effects on TC and HDL-C using the Framingham Heart Study (FHS) data...
- Genome-wide association study of plasma polyunsaturated fatty acids in the InCHIANTI StudyToshiko Tanaka
MedStar Research Institute, Baltimore, MD, USA
PLoS Genet 5:e1000338. 2009..The ELOVL2 SNP was associated with docosapentanoic and DHA but not with EPA in GOLDN. These findings show that polymorphisms of genes encoding enzymes in the metabolism of PUFA contribute to plasma concentrations of fatty acids...
- Genome-wide association study of vitamin B6, vitamin B12, folate, and homocysteine blood concentrationsToshiko Tanaka
MedStar Research Institute, Baltimore, MD 21250, USA
Am J Hum Genet 84:477-82. 2009..The ALPL gene likely influences the catabolism of vitamin B6 while FUT2 interferes with absorption of vitamin B12. These findings highlight mechanisms that affect vitamin B6, vitamin B12 and homocysteine serum levels...
- Habitual sleep duration is associated with BMI and macronutrient intake and may be modified by CLOCK genetic variantsHassan S Dashti
From the Nutrition and Genomics Laboratory HSD, CES, Kr, and JMO, Nutritional Epidemiology Laboratory PFJ, and Cardiovascular Nutrition Laboratory SL F, Jean Mayer U S Department of Agriculture Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University, Boston, MA the Department of Mathematics, Computer Science, and Cooperative Engineering, University of St Thomas, Houston, TX JLF the Translational Gerontology Branch TT and LF and Laboratory of Neurogenetics DGH, National Institute on Aging, Baltimore, MD the Divisions of Sleep and Circadian Disorders BEC, DJG, RS, and FAJLS and Cardiovascular Medicine and Channing Division of Network Medicine DM, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA the Divisions of Sleep Medicine BEC, DJG, and FAJLS and Cardiovascular Medicine and Channing Division of Network Medicine DM, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA the Sleep Disorders Center, VA Boston Healthcare System, Boston, MA DJG the Department of Nutrition, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA AH and DM the Center for Human Genetic Research and Department of Anesthesia, Critical Care and Pain Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA RS the Departments of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services LK and TP and Chronic Disease Prevention M MP, MP, ASH, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 101:135-43. 2015..Also, common genetic variants in the human Circadian Locomotor Output Cycles Kaput (CLOCK) show associations with ghrelin and total energy intake...
- Caffeine and alcohol intakes and overall nutrient adequacy are associated with longitudinal cognitive performance among U.S. adultsMay A Beydoun
Intramural Research Program NIA NIH IRP, National Institute on Aging, Baltimore, MD
J Nutr 144:890-901. 2014..Further longitudinal studies conducted on larger samples of adults are needed to determine whether dietary factors individually or in combination are modifiers of cognitive trajectories among adults. ..
- Genome-wide association scan of trait depressionAntonio Terracciano
National Institute on Aging, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, Baltimore, Maryland 21224, USA
Biol Psychiatry 68:811-7. 2010..Identifying the genetic variants that contribute to these individual differences can point to biological pathways etiologically involved in psychiatric disorders...
- Variants of the serotonin transporter gene and NEO-PI-R Neuroticism: No association in the BLSA and SardiNIA samplesAntonio Terracciano
National Institute on Aging, NIH, DHHS, Baltimore, Maryland 21224, USA
Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet 150:1070-7. 2009..Along with other large studies that used different phenotypic measures and found no association, this study substantially increases the evidence against a link between 5-HTT variants and Neuroticism-related traits...
- State- and trait-dependent associations of vitamin-D with brain function during agingAlexandra M Kueider
Unit of Clinical and Translational Neuroscience, Laboratory of Behavioral Neuroscience, National Institute on Aging, Baltimore, MD, USA
Neurobiol Aging 39:38-45. 2016..Widespread associations between vitamin-D regulatory SNPs and cognition suggest a mechanistic basis for the relationship between serum 25(OH)D levels and cognition during aging...
- Multiple loci are associated with white blood cell phenotypesMichael A Nalls
Laboratory of Neurogenetics, Intramural Research Program, National Institute on Aging, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, United States of America
PLoS Genet 7:e1002113. 2011....
- Common variants in Mendelian kidney disease genes and their association with renal functionAfshin Parsa
Division of Nephrology, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland
J Am Soc Nephrol 24:2105-17. 2013..The effect of less common or rare variants in these genes on kidney function in the general population and disease-specific cohorts requires further research. ..
- Association Between Accelerated Multimorbidity and Age-Related Cognitive Decline in Older Baltimore Longitudinal Study of Aging Participants without DementiaElisa Fabbri
Translational Gerontology Branch, Longitudinal Study Section, Clinical Research Branch, National Institute on Aging, National Institutes of Health Baltimore, Baltimore, Maryland
J Am Geriatr Soc 64:965-72. 2016..To explore the association between rate of physical health deterioration, operationalized as rising multimorbidity overtime, and longitudinal decline in cognitive function in older adults without dementia...
- A higher adherence to a Mediterranean-style diet is inversely associated with the development of frailty in community-dwelling elderly men and womenSameera A Talegawkar
Center for Human Nutrition, Department of International Health, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD, USA
J Nutr 142:2161-6. 2012..48 (95% CI: 0.27, 0.86)] but not with feelings of exhaustion and poor muscle strength. In community-dwelling older adults, higher adherence to a Mediterranean-style diet was inversely associated with the development of frailty...
- Mediterranean diet and mobility decline in older personsYuri Milaneschi
Longitudinal Studies Section, Clinical Research Branch, National Institute on Aging, Baltimore, MD 21225, USA
Exp Gerontol 46:303-8. 2011..High adherence to a Mediterranean-style diet is associated with a slower decline of mobility over time in community-dwelling older persons. If replicated, this observation is highly relevant in terms of public health...
- Change in Epigenome-Wide DNA Methylation Over 9 Years and Subsequent Mortality: Results From the InCHIANTI StudyAnn Zenobia Moore
Longitudinal Studies Section, Translational Gerontology Branch, National Institute on Aging, Baltimore, Maryland
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 71:1029-35. 2016..Although the influence of DNAm on health and longevity remains unclear, these findings confirm that aging is associated cross-sectionally and longitudinally with robust and consistent patterns of methylation change. ..
- Arterial stiffness and vitamin D levels: the Baltimore longitudinal study of agingFrancesco Giallauria
Longitudinal Studies Section, Clinical Research Branch, National Institute on Aging, 3001 South Hanover Street, Baltimore, Maryland 21225, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 97:3717-23. 2012..The importance of vitamin D for bone health has long been acknowledged. Recent evidence suggests that vitamin D can also play a role in reducing the risk of several other diseases, including cardiovascular disease...
- COL4A1 is associated with arterial stiffness by genome-wide association scanKirill V Tarasov
Laboratory of Cardiovascular Science, Laboratory of Genetics, Clinical Research Branch, Intramural Research Program, National Institute on Aging, National Institutes of Health, Baltimore, MD, USA
Circ Cardiovasc Genet 2:151-8. 2009..Heritability and linkage studies have pointed toward a genetic component affecting PWV. We conducted a genome-wide association study to identify single-nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) associated with PWV...
- Alzheimer's disease risk genes and the age-at-onset phenotypeMadhav Thambisetty
Clinical and Translational Neuroscience Unit, Laboratory of Behavioral Neuroscience, National Institute on Aging, National Institutes of Health, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Neurobiol Aging 34:2696.e1-5. 2013..None of the other AD risk genes influenced AAO of AD. Our results suggest that besides APOE, other genes associated with AD risk do not exert large effects on the AAO phenotype of AD...
- Multiple loci influence erythrocyte phenotypes in the CHARGE ConsortiumSanthi K Ganesh
National Human Genome Research Institute, Division of Intramural Research, Bethesda, MD, USA
Nat Genet 41:1191-8. 2009..This study has identified new determinants of erythrocyte traits, offering insight into common variants underlying variation in erythrocyte measures...
- New loci associated with kidney function and chronic kidney diseaseAnna Kottgen
Department of Epidemiology, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Nat Genet 42:376-84. 2010..These results further our understanding of the biologic mechanisms of kidney function by identifying loci that potentially influence nephrogenesis, podocyte function, angiogenesis, solute transport and metabolic functions of the kidney...
- A network-based approach to prioritize results from genome-wide association studiesNirmala Akula
Mood and Anxiety Section, Human Genetics Branch, National Institute of Mental Health, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, Bethesda, Maryland, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e24220. 2011..NIMMI is a simple, user-friendly, open-source software tool that efficiently combines genetic association data with biological networks, translating GWAS findings into biological hypotheses...
- Common variation in the beta-carotene 15,15'-monooxygenase 1 gene affects circulating levels of carotenoids: a genome-wide association studyLuigi Ferrucci
Longitudinal Studies Section, Clinical Research Branch, National Institute on Aging, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, United States of America
Am J Hum Genet 84:123-33. 2009..002). Our findings might shed light on the controversial relationship between lipid-soluble anti-oxidant nutrients and human health...
- Meta-analysis of genome-wide association studies for circulating phylloquinone concentrationsHassan S Dashti
From the Nutrition and Genomics Laboratory HSD, CES, Kr, and JMO, Vitamin K Laboratory MKS and SLB, Jean Mayer U S Department of Agriculture Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging, Tufts University, Boston, MA the Translational Gerontology Branch TT, Laboratory of Neurogenetics MAN, National Institute on Aging, Baltimore, MD the Department of Nutrition, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA AH the Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN TJW the Institute for Translational Genomics and Population Sciences, Los Angeles BioMedical Research Institute and Department of Pediatrics, Harbor UCLA Medical Center, Torrance, CA XG and JY the Department of Public Health Sciences YL, Sticht Center on Aging SBK, Wake Forest Medical Center, Winston Salem, NC Medical Genetics Institute, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA DL the Department of Biostatistics, University of Washington, Seattle, WA WCJ Boston University and National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute s Framingham Heart Study, Framingham, MA EJB the Department of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA EJB New York Academy of Medicine, New York, NY DSS the Department of Epidemiology
Am J Clin Nutr 100:1462-9. 2014..Although a strong genetic component has been hypothesized, this has yet to be examined by a genome-wide association (GWA) study...
- Loss of Weight in Obese Older Adults: A Biomarker of Impending Expansion of Multimorbidity?Elisa Fabbri
Intramural Research Branch, National Institute on Aging, National Institutes of Health, Baltimore, Maryland
J Am Geriatr Soc 63:1791-7. 2015....
- GeMes, clusters of DNA methylation under genetic control, can inform genetic and epigenetic analysis of diseaseYun Liu
Center for Epigenetics, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Am J Hum Genet 94:485-95. 2014..This type of correlated methylation structure has implications for both biological functions of DNA methylation and for the design, analysis, and interpretation of epigenome-wide association studies. ..
- SHAVE: shrinkage estimator measured for multiple visits increases power in GWAS of quantitative traitsOsorio D Meirelles
Laboratory of Genetics, National Institute on Aging, National Institutes of Health, Baltimore, MD, USA
Eur J Hum Genet 21:673-9. 2013..It can also be applied in the optimization of experimental designs or usage of measuring devices. SHAVE is fast and easy to run, written in R and freely available online...
- Vitamin D receptor and megalin gene polymorphisms and their associations with longitudinal cognitive change in US adultsMay A Beydoun
National Institute on Aging, Intramural Research Program, NIH, Baltimore, MD, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 95:163-78. 2012..Vitamin D receptor (VDR) and the megalin gene polymorphism's link with longitudinal cognitive change remains unclear...
- The genetics of blood pressure regulation and its target organs from association studies in 342,415 individualsGeorg B Ehret
Center for Complex Disease Genomics, McKusick Nathans Institute of Genetic Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Nat Genet 48:1171-84. 2016..Our findings expand current knowledge of blood pressure-related pathways and highlight tissues beyond the classical renal system in blood pressure regulation. ..
- Chronic Low-Calorie Sweetener Use and Risk of Abdominal Obesity among Older Adults: A Cohort StudyChee W Chia
Intramural Research Program, National Institute on Aging, National Institutes of Health, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America
PLoS ONE 11:e0167241. 2016..We evaluated whether chronic low-calorie sweetener use is a risk factor for abdominal obesity...
- Single nucleotide polymorphisms and the likelihood of prostate cancer at a given prostate specific antigen levelStacy Loeb
James Buchanan Brady Urological Institute, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
J Urol 182:101-4; discussion 105. 2009..Prostate specific antigen is used for prostate cancer screening but its specificity is limited. Specificity might be increased by considering genotype associated prostate specific antigen levels...
- Genome-wide study identifies two loci associated with lung function decline in mild to moderate COPDNadia N Hansel
Department of Medicine, School of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, USA
Hum Genet 132:79-90. 2013..Genes within these regions were expressed in relevant lung cells and their expression related to airflow limitation suggesting they may represent novel candidate genes for COPD susceptibility...
- Nutritional determinants of mobilityYuri Milaneschi
Longitudinal Studies Section, Clinical Research Branch, National Institute on Aging, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 13:625-9. 2010..This review summarizes the recent literature showing the associations between different nutrients and mobility-related outcomes in older adults...
- BDNF Val66Met is associated with introversion and interacts with 5-HTTLPR to influence neuroticismAntonio Terracciano
National Institute on Aging, NIH, DHHS, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 35:1083-9. 2010..Our findings support the association between the BDNF Met variant and introversion and suggest that BDNF interacts with the serotonin transporter gene to influence neuroticism...
- Genetic diversity is a predictor of mortality in humansNathan A Bihlmeyer
Predoctoral Training Program in Human Genetics, McKusick Nathans Institute of Genetic Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
BMC Genet 15:159. 2014....
- GWAS analysis of handgrip and lower body strength in older adults in the CHARGE consortiumAmy M Matteini
Division of Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Aging Cell 15:792-800. 2016..Further studies are needed to uncover the mechanisms that link this genetic variant with muscle strength. ..