Genomes and Genes
Joanna H Shih
Affiliation: National Institutes of Health
- Analysis of survival data from case-control family studiesJoanna H Shih
Division of Cancer Treatment and Diagnosis, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 7434, USA
Biometrics 58:502-9. 2002..Simulation results demonstrate that the proposed approach has better performance in terms of consistency and efficiency. We illustrate the methodology using a subset of data from the Washington Ashkenazi Study...
- Preliminary evaluation of urinary soluble Met as a biomarker for urothelial carcinoma of the bladderBrian K McNeil
Urologic Oncology Branch, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, Bldg 10, Hatfield Clinical Research Center, Rm 2 W 3952 10 Center Drive MSC 1210, 20892 1210, Bethesda, MD, USA
J Transl Med 12:199. 2014....
- Induction of ebolavirus cross-species immunity using retrovirus-like particles bearing the Ebola virus glycoprotein lacking the mucin-like domainWu Ou
Division of Cellular and Gene Therapies, Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research, Bldg, 29B, Room 5NN22, 8800 Rockville Pike, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Virol J 9:32. 2012..We hypothesized that immunization with MLD-deleted GP1,2 (GPΔMLD) would induce cross-species immunity by making more conserved regions accessible to the immune system...
- Analysis of failure time data with multilevel clustering, with application to the child vitamin a intervention trial in NepalJoanna H Shih
Biometric Research Branch, Division of Cancer Treatment and Diagnosis, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Biometrics 63:673-80. 2007..The analysis of the Nepal study data shows that the association of mortality is much greater within households than within villages...
- Modeling familial association of ages at onset of disease in the presence of competing riskJoanna H Shih
Biometric Research Branch, National Cancer Institute, Rockville, Maryland 20852, USA
Biometrics 66:1012-23. 2010..2006, Journal of the American Statistical Association 101, 65-77). The proposed method is illustrated using the kinship data from the Washington Ashkenazi Study...
- Effects of pooling mRNA in microarray class comparisonsJoanna H Shih
Biometric Research Branch, Division of Cancer Treatment and Diagnosis, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Bioinformatics 20:3318-25. 2004....
- Desmoglein 3 as a prognostic factor in lung cancerJunya Fukuoka
Laboratory of Population Genetics, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Hum Pathol 38:276-83. 2007..8% for desmoglein 3-positive cases (P < .001). Desmoglein 3 status indicated a poor prognosis in lung cancers and portends a more aggressive behavior for atypical carcinoid tumors...
- Loss of cytoplasmic CDK1 predicts poor survival in human lung cancer and confers chemotherapeutic resistanceChunyu Zhang
Medical Oncology Branch, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e23849. 2011..These results have implications for personalizing lung cancer therapy and highlight the potential of combined approaches for biomarker discovery...
- Identification of an integrated SV40 T/t-antigen cancer signature in aggressive human breast, prostate, and lung carcinomas with poor prognosisKristin K Deeb
Laboratory of Cell Regulation and Carcinogenesis, National Institutes of Diabetes, Digestive and Kidney Diseases, NIH, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Cancer Res 67:8065-80. 2007....
- Proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy predicts survival in children with diffuse intrinsic pontine gliomaEmilie A Steffen-Smith
Pediatric Oncology Branch, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, 9000 Rockville Pike, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Neurooncol 105:365-73. 2011..This prospective study shows that MRS can be used to identify high-risk patients and monitor changes in tumor metabolism, which may reflect changes in tumor behavior...
- Case-control and case-only designs with genotype and family history data: estimating relative risk, residual familial aggregation, and cumulative riskNilanjan Chatterjee
Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, 6210 Executive Boulevard, Rockville, Maryland 20852, USA
Biometrics 62:36-48. 2006..We illustrate the proposed methodologies by estimating the risk of breast cancer from BRCA1/2 mutations using data from the Washington Ashkenazi Study...
- Weighted logrank tests for interval censored data when assessment times depend on treatmentMichael P Fay
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, 6700 B Rockledge Dr, MSC 7630, Bethesda, MD 20892 7630, USA
Stat Med 31:3760-72. 2012..Simulations were performed using the interval R package...
- Gene expression profiling identifies a unique androgen-mediated inflammatory/immune signature and a PTEN (phosphatase and tensin homolog deleted on chromosome 10)-mediated apoptotic response specific to the rat ventral prostateKartiki V Desai
Laboratory of Cell Regulation and Carcinogenesis, 41 Medlar s Drive, Room C619, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Mol Endocrinol 18:2895-907. 2004..The VP castration model exhibits immune cell infiltration and loss of PTEN that is often observed in progressive PCa, thereby making this model useful for further delineation of androgen-regulated gene expression with relevance to PCa...
- Comparison of calculated and acquired high b value diffusion-weighted imaging in prostate cancerKinzya B Grant
Molecular Imaging Program, National Cancer Institute NCI, NIH 10 Center Dr, MSC 1182, Bldg 10, Room B3B85, Bethesda, MD, 20892 1088, USA
Abdom Imaging 40:578-86. 2015....
- Continuous daily sunitinib for recurrent glioblastomaTeri Nguyen Kreisl
Neuro Oncology Branch, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, 9030 Old Georgetown Road, 225, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Neurooncol 111:41-8. 2013..Continuous daily sunitinib did not prolong progression-free survival in BEV-naïve nor BEV-resistant patients with recurrent glioblastoma...
- Evaluation of two phosphorylation sites improves the prognostic significance of Akt activation in non-small-cell lung cancer tumorsJunji Tsurutani
Cancer Therapeutics Branch, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD, USA
J Clin Oncol 24:306-14. 2006..In this study, we sought to determine whether evaluation of Akt phosphorylation at T308 would improve prognostic accuracy...
- Magnetic resonance imaging/ultrasound fusion guided prostate biopsy improves cancer detection following transrectal ultrasound biopsy and correlates with multiparametric magnetic resonance imagingPeter A Pinto
Urologic Oncology Branch, Clinical Center and National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 1210, USA
J Urol 186:1281-5. 2011..The cancer detection rates for the first 101 patients are reported...
- Heterologous tissue culture expression signature predicts human breast cancer prognosisEun Sung Park
Laboratory of Genetics, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, United States of America
PLoS ONE 2:e145. 2007..This predisposition can be reflected in the gene expression pattern of the primary tumor, which may predict outcomes and guide the choice of treatment better than other clinical predictors...
- Multiparametric 3T prostate magnetic resonance imaging to detect cancer: histopathological correlation using prostatectomy specimens processed in customized magnetic resonance imaging based moldsBaris Turkbey
Molecular Imaging Program, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
J Urol 186:1818-24. 2011..Precise one-to-one histopathological correlation with magnetic resonance imaging was possible using prostate magnetic resonance imaging based custom printed specimen molds after radical prostatectomy...
- Questions and answers on design of dual-label microarrays for identifying differentially expressed genesKevin Dobbin
Biometric Research Branch, Division of Cancer Treatment and Diagnosis, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD 20892 7434, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 95:1362-9. 2003
- Statistical issues in the design and analysis of gene expression microarray studies of animal modelsLisa M McShane
Biometric Research Branch, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Mammary Gland Biol Neoplasia 8:359-74. 2003..Various clustering methods are discussed for class discovery aims. Class prediction methods are briefly reviewed, and reference is made to the importance of proper validation of predictors...
- Gene expression signature of cigarette smoking and its role in lung adenocarcinoma development and survivalMaria Teresa Landi
Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health NIH, Department of Health and Human Services DHHS, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
PLoS ONE 3:e1651. 2008..Tobacco smoking is responsible for over 90% of lung cancer cases, and yet the precise molecular alterations induced by smoking in lung that develop into cancer and impact survival have remained obscure...
- IL-4 protein expression and basal activation of Erk in vivo in follicular lymphomaKatherine R Calvo
Hematopathology Section, Laboratory of Pathology LP, NIH Clinical Center, Department of Laboratory Medicine, 10 Center Drive, Bldg 10 2C306, Bethesda, MD 20892 1500, USA
Blood 112:3818-26. 2008..These findings suggest IL-4, Erk, and possibly Stat-6 may play a role in the biology of FL and may serve as targets for future therapies...
- Histological staining methods preparatory to laser capture microdissection significantly affect the integrity of the cellular RNAHongyang Wang
Laboratory of Genetics, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, NIH, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
BMC Genomics 7:97. 2006..All RNAs were amplified with two rounds of T7-based in vitro transcription and analyzed by two-color expression analysis on 10-K cDNA microarrays...
- Evaluation of platinum chemotherapy in combination with HER2-targeted α-particle radiationDiane E Milenic
Radioimmune and Inorganic Chemistry Section, Radiation Oncology Branch, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Cancer Biother Radiopharm 28:441-9. 2013..These results again demonstrate the necessity of empirically determining the administration sequence when combining therapeutic modalities...
- Diffusion tensor histogram analysis of pediatric diffuse intrinsic pontine gliomaEmilie A Steffen-Smith
Pediatric Oncology Branch, National Cancer Institute, Center for Cancer Research, National Institutes of Health, Building 10, Room 1 5750, 9000 Rockville Pike, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Biomed Res Int 2014:647356. 2014....
- The kinetics and reproducibility of 18F-sodium fluoride for oncology using current PET camera technologyKaren A Kurdziel
Molecular Imaging Program, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, USA
J Nucl Med 53:1175-84. 2012..We evaluated the kinetics of (18)F-sodium fluoride (NaF) and reassessed the recommended dose, optimal uptake period, and reproducibility using a current-generation PET/CT scanner...
- Predicting outcome of children with diffuse intrinsic pontine gliomas using multiparametric imagingSean J Hipp
Pediatric Oncology Branch, National Cancer Institute, Center for Cancer Research, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Neuro Oncol 13:904-9. 2011..Routine baseline and subsequent imaging for children with DIPG should, at minimum, incorporate DSC-MRI and SVS...
- Is apparent diffusion coefficient associated with clinical risk scores for prostate cancers that are visible on 3-T MR images?Baris Turkbey
Molecular Imaging Program, Center for Interventional Oncology, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, 10 Center Dr, MSC 1182, Bldg 10, Room B3B69F, Bethesda, MD 20892 1088, USA
Radiology 258:488-95. 2011....
- A phase II trial of single-agent bevacizumab in patients with recurrent anaplastic gliomaTeri N Kreisl
The Neuro Oncology Branch, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Neuro Oncol 13:1143-50. 2011..Early change in enhancing tumor volume at 4 days after start of therapy was the most significant prognostic factor for overall and progression-free survival...
- On estimating the relationship between longitudinal measurements and time-to-event data using a simple two-stage procedurePaul S Albert
Biostatistics and Bioinformatics Branch, Division of Epidemiology, Statistics, and Prevention Research, Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Biometrics 66:983-7; discussion 987-91. 2010..2008), an advantage of our proposed approach over joint modeling is that it can be implemented with standard statistical software and does not require complex estimation techniques...
- Whole genome expression profiling of advance stage papillary serous ovarian cancer reveals activated pathwaysHoward Donninger
Department of Cell and Cancer Biology, National Cancer Institute, Rockville, MD 20850, USA
Oncogene 23:8065-77. 2004....
- Predicting survival in patients with metastatic kidney cancer by gene-expression profiling in the primary tumorJames R Vasselli
Urologic Oncology Branch, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:6958-63. 2003..We conclude that survival in patients with metastatic renal cell cancer can be correlated with the expression of various genes based solely on the expression profile in the primary kidney tumor...
- Safety, efficacy, and pharmacokinetics/pharmacodynamics of daclizumab (anti-CD25) in patients with adult T-cell leukemia/lymphomaJonathan L Berkowitz
Lymphoid Malignancies Branch, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Clin Immunol 155:176-87. 2014..g., multiple sclerosis) since high-dose daclizumab is required to saturate IL-2R alpha in extravascular sites...
- Markedly additive antitumor activity with the combination of a selective survivin suppressant YM155 and alemtuzumab in adult T-cell leukemiaJing Chen
Metabolism Branch, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Blood 121:2029-37. 2013..Our data support a clinical trial of the combination of YM155 with alemtuzumab in ATL. This trial was registered at www.clinicaltrials.gov as #NCT00061048...
- Identification of unique expression signatures and therapeutic targets in esophageal squamous cell carcinomaWusheng Yan
Pathogenetics Unit, Laboratory of Pathology, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, USA
BMC Res Notes 5:73. 2012..abstract:..
- Modeling tumor growth with random onsetPaul S Albert
Biometric Research Branch, National Cancer Institute, Executive Plaza North, Room 8136, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 7434, USA
Biometrics 59:897-906. 2003..We illustrate this methodology with an application examining the effect of different mutations on tumorigenesis...
- Chromatin remodeling factors and BRM/BRG1 expression as prognostic indicators in non-small cell lung cancerJunya Fukuoka
Laboratory of Population Genetics, Biometric Research Branch, Center for Bioinformatics, Laboratory of Pathology, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Clin Cancer Res 10:4314-24. 2004....
- Comment on 'Evaluation of the gene-specific dye bias in cDNA microarray experiments'Kevin K Dobbin
Bioinformatics 21:2803-4. 2005
- Case-cohort designs and analysis for clustered failure time dataShou En Lu
Department of Biostatistics, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, New Brunswick, New Jersey 08903, USA
Biometrics 62:1138-48. 2006..A data example from the Translating Research into Action for Diabetes (TRIAD) study is used to illustrate the proposed methodology...
- Microarray analysis reveals that leptin induces autocrine/paracrine cascades to promote survival and proliferation of colon epithelial cells in an Apc genotype-dependent fashionJenifer I Fenton
Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan, USA
Mol Carcinog 47:9-21. 2008..These data establish a biologically plausible mechanistic link between the elevated levels of growth factors and the increased risk of colon cancer associated with obesity...
- Appropriateness of some resampling-based inference procedures for assessing performance of prognostic classifiers derived from microarray dataLara Lusa
Department of Experimental Oncology, Istituto Nazionale per lo Studio e la Cura dei Tumori, Milano, Italy
Stat Med 26:1102-13. 2007..Our results suggest that caution should be exercised in interpreting some of the claims of exceptional prognostic classifier performance that have been reported in prominent biomedical journals in the past few years...
- Alpha-methylacyl CoA racemase in pulmonary adenocarcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma, and neuroendocrine tumors: expression and survival analysisKonstantin Shilo
Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, Department of Pulmonary and Mediastinal Pathology, 6825 16th St NW, Washington, DC 20306, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 131:1555-60. 2007..AMACR serves as a useful marker in establishing a diagnosis of prostatic malignancy; however, limited information is available in regard to its presence in pulmonary neoplasms...