Shamik J Parikh
Affiliation: National Institutes of Health
- Calcium intake and adiposityShamik J Parikh
Unit on Growth and Obesity, Developmental Endocrinology Branch, National Institute of Child Health and Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 1862, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 77:281-7. 2003..We suggest that these data support the need for large, population based clinical trials to assess the effects of supplemental calcium and other components of dairy products on human body weight...
- Effects of calcium supplementation on body weight and adiposity in overweight and obese adults: a randomized trialJack A Yanovski
National Institutes of Health, Hatfield Clinical Research Center, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 1103, USA
Ann Intern Med 150:821-9, W145-6. 2009..Some data suggest that increasing calcium intake may help prevent weight gain...
- Validation of three food frequency questionnaires to assess dietary calcium intake in adultsNancy G Sebring
Clinical Nutrition Services, Unit on Growth and Obesity, Developmental Endocrinology Branch, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 1103, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 107:752-9. 2007..To assess the accuracy of three self-administered food frequency questionnaires (FFQs) to measure dietary calcium intake in healthy adults...
- The prevalence of hypovitaminosis D and secondary hyperparathyroidism in obese Black AmericansLisa B Yanoff
Unit on Growth and Obesity, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 1103, USA
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 64:523-9. 2006..We hypothesized the risk of hypovitaminosis D would therefore be extraordinarily high in obese Black adults...
- Indices of insulin action, disposal, and secretion derived from fasting samples and clamps in normal glucose-tolerant black and white childrenGabriel I Uwaifo
Unit on Growth and Obesity, Developmental Endocrinology Branch, National Institutes of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Diabetes Care 25:2081-7. 2002..To validate fasting indices of insulin sensitivity and secretion in a diverse pediatric population against gold standard estimates from euglycemic and hyperglycemic clamps...
- The relationship between obesity and serum 1,25-dihydroxy vitamin D concentrations in healthy adultsShamik J Parikh
GlaxoSmithKline Pharmaceuticals, King of Prussia, Pennsylvania 19406, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:1196-9. 2004..We conclude that, because 1,25-vit D concentrations fall with increasing adiposity, it appears unlikely that elevation in 1,25-vit D is an important hormonal mechanism causing or maintaining obesity in adults...