Affiliation: National Institutes of Health
- Pathogenesis of HIV infection: what the virus spares is as important as what it destroysZvi Grossman
Laboratory of Immunology, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Nat Med 12:289-95. 2006....
- High production rates sustain in vivo levels of PD-1high simian immunodeficiency virus-specific CD8 T cells in the face of rapid clearanceConstantinos Petrovas
Immunology Laboratory, Vaccine Research Center, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
J Virol 87:9836-44. 2013..Our data suggest that the persistence of PD-1(high) SIV-specific CD8 T cells in chronic infection is maintained in vivo by a mechanism involving high production coupled with a high disappearance rate. ..
- Memory phenotype CD4 T cells undergoing rapid, nonburst-like, cytokine-driven proliferation can be distinguished from antigen-experienced memory cellsSouheil Antoine Younes
Laboratory of Immunology, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
PLoS Biol 9:e1001171. 2011....
- Antigen-stimulated CD4 T-cell expansion is inversely and log-linearly related to precursor numberJuan Quiel
Laboratories of Immunology and Cellular and Molecular Immunology, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:3312-7. 2011....
- HIV preferentially infects HIV-specific CD4+ T cellsDaniel C Douek
Vaccine Research Center, NIAID, NIH, Maryland 20892, USA
Nature 417:95-8. 2002..Furthermore, the phenomenon of HIV specifically infecting the very cells that respond to it adds a cautionary note to the practice of structured therapy interruption...
- Pathogen-sensing, regulatory T cells, and responsiveness-tuning collectively regulate foreign- and self-antigen mediated T-cell responsesWilliam E Paul
Laboratory of Immunology and Laboratory of Allergic Diseases, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 1892
Cold Spring Harb Symp Quant Biol 78:265-76. 2013....
- Dynamic tuning of lymphocytes: physiological basis, mechanisms, and functionZvi Grossman
Laboratory of Immunology, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 email
Annu Rev Immunol 33:677-713. 2015..Bidirectional tuning of T cells and antigen-presenting cells leads to the definition of homeostatic set points, thus maximizing clonal diversity. ..
- Pathogen-sensing and regulatory T cells: integrated regulators of immune responsesWilliam E Paul
Authors Affiliation Laboratory of Immunology, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, NIH, Bethesda, Maryland
Cancer Immunol Res 2:503-9. 2014..These considerations take on special meaning for responses to "weak antigens" such as many of the antigens displayed by spontaneous human tumors...
- Peripheral expression of self-MHC-II influences the reactivity and self-tolerance of mature CD4(+) T cells: evidence from a lymphopenic T cell modelAvinash Bhandoola
Experimental Immunology Branch, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Immunity 17:425-36. 2002....
- Progressive CD4+ central memory T cell decline results in CD4+ effector memory insufficiency and overt disease in chronic SIV infectionAfam Okoye
Vaccine and Gene Therapy Institute, Department of Pathology, and the Oregon National Primate Research Center, Oregon Health and Science University, Beaverton, OR 97006, USA
J Exp Med 204:2171-85. 2007....
- The duration of exposure to HIV modulates the breadth and the magnitude of HIV-specific memory CD4+ T cellsSouheil Antoine Younes
Laboratoire d Immunologie, Departement de Microbiologie et Immunologie, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Immunol 178:788-97. 2007....
- CD4+ T-cell depletion in HIV infection: are we closer to understanding the cause?Zvi Grossman
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Nat Med 8:319-23. 2002
- HIV infection rapidly induces and maintains a substantial suppression of thymocyte proliferationMarie Lise Dion
Laboratoire d Immunologie, Centre de Recherches du CHUM, Hotel Dieu, Montreal, Quebec H2X 1P1, Canada
Immunity 21:757-68. 2004..Our findings reveal a substantial reduction in intrathymic proliferation. The analysis also indicates the existence of a compensatory mechanism acting to sustain the numbers of recent thymic emigrants (RTEs) in the periphery...
- Concomitant regulation of T-cell activation and homeostasisZvi Grossman
Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, 69978, Israel
Nat Rev Immunol 4:387-95. 2004
- Immunologic and virologic evolution during periods of intermittent and persistent low-level viremiaAnnika C Karlsson
Gladstone Institute of Virology and Immunology, University of California, San Francisco, USA
AIDS 18:981-9. 2004..The interaction of these factors is not well understood, particularly in the setting of antiretroviral therapy...
- HIV-1 viremia prevents the establishment of interleukin 2-producing HIV-specific memory CD4+ T cells endowed with proliferative capacitySouheil Antoine Younes
Departement de Microbiologie et Immunologie, Universite de Montreal, 2900 Edouard Montpetit Boulevard, Montreal H3T 1J4, Canada
J Exp Med 198:1909-22. 2003..Our data favor a model whereby competent HIV-specific Tcm continuously arise in small numbers but under persistent antigenemia are rapidly induced to differentiate into IFN-gamma only-producing cells that lack self-renewal capacity...
- CD4 T cell depletion is linked directly to immune activation in the pathogenesis of HIV-1 and HIV-2 but only indirectly to the viral loadAna E Sousa
Clinical Immunology Unit Institute of Molecular Medicine, Faculty of Medicine of Lisbon, Lisbon, Portugal
J Immunol 169:3400-6. 2002....
- Mathematical modeling of thymopoiesis in HIV infection: real data, virtual data, and data interpretationZvi Grossman
Clin Immunol 107:137-9. 2003
- Immune reconstitution in HIV infection: how to measure thymic function?Zvi Grossman
Clin Immunol 115:115-7. 2005