Mark G Carls
Affiliation: National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
- Petroleum biomarkers as tracers of Exxon Valdez oilMark G Carls
Auke Bay Laboratories, National Marine Fisheries Service and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Juneau, Alaska, USA
Environ Toxicol Chem 35:2683-2690. 2016..2016 The Authors. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc. on behalf of SETAC. This article is a US government work and as such, is in the public domain in the United States of America...
- Polynuclear Aromatic Hydrocarbons in Port Valdez Shrimp and SedimentMark G Carls
NOAA NMFS, Auke Bay Laboratories, 17109 Point Lena Loop Road, Juneau, AK, 99801, USA
Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 71:48-59. 2016..Total PAH accumulation was substantially greater in some pink shrimp than in other species, thus differences in habitat utilization (muddy vs. rocky substrate) are potentially important. ..
- Exposure of pink salmon embryos to dissolved polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons delays development, prolonging vulnerability to mechanical damageMark G Carls
NOAA, NMFS, Alaska Fisheries Science Center, Auke Bay Laboratories, Ted Stevens Marine Research Institute, Juneau, AK 99801, USA
Mar Environ Res 69:318-25. 2010....
- Restoration of oiled mussel beds in Prince William Sound, AlaskaMark G Carls
US National Marine Fisheries Service, Alaska Fisheries Science Center, Auke Bay Laboratory, 11305 Glacier Hwy, Juneau, AK 99801, USA
Mar Environ Res 57:359-76. 2004..Our results suggest mussel relocation is feasible but suggest oil might more effectively be removed from sediment mechanically or chemically than manually...
- Monitoring polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons in aqueous environments with passive low-density polyethylene membrane devicesMark G Carls
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Marine Fisheries Service, Alaska Fisheries Science Center, Auke Bay Laboratory, 11305 Glacier Highway, Juneau, Alaska 99801, USA
Environ Toxicol Chem 23:1416-24. 2004..Thus, a simple plastic membrane can be conveniently used for environmental monitoring, particularly during situations in which contaminant concentrations are low (in the parts-per-billion range), variable, and intermittent...
- Fish embryos are damaged by dissolved PAHs, not oil particlesMark G Carls
Alaska Fisheries Science Center, Auke Bay Laboratories, 17109 Point Lena Loop Road, Juneau, AK 99801, USA
Aquat Toxicol 88:121-7. 2008..Thus, PAHs dissolved from oil are toxic and physical contact with oil droplets is not necessary for embryotoxicity...
- Accumulation of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons by Neocalanus copepods in Port Valdez, AlaskaMark G Carls
NOAA, National Marine Fisheries Service, Auke Bay Laboratory, 11305 Glacier Hwy, Juneau, AK 99801, USA
Mar Pollut Bull 52:1480-9. 2006....
- Nonparametric identification of petrogenic and pyrogenic hydrocarbons in aquatic ecosystemsMark G Carls
National Oceanics and Atmospheric Administration, National Marine Fisheries Service, Alaska Fisheries Science Center, Auke Bay Laboratory, 11305 Glacier Highway, Juneau, Alaska 99801, USA
Environ Sci Technol 40:4233-9. 2006..However, a combined nonparametric model best described a broad range of hydrocarbon sources, thus providing a useful new analytical assessment tool...
- Cardiac arrhythmia is the primary response of embryonic Pacific herring (Clupea pallasi) exposed to crude oil during weatheringJohn P Incardona
Environmental Conservation Division, Northwest Fisheries Science Center, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, 2725 Montlake Boulevard E, Seattle, Washington 98112, USA
Environ Sci Technol 43:201-7. 2009....
- Aryl hydrocarbon receptor-independent toxicity of weathered crude oil during fish developmentJohn P Incardona
Ecotoxicology and Environmental Fish Health Program, Environmental Conservation Division, Northwest Fisheries Science Center, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Seattle, Washington 98112, USA
Environ Health Perspect 113:1755-62. 2005..These findings have multiple implications for the assessment of PAH impacts on coastal habitats...
- Very low embryonic crude oil exposures cause lasting cardiac defects in salmon and herringJohn P Incardona
Environmental and Fisheries Sciences Division, Northwest Fisheries Science Center, National Marine Fisheries Service, NOAA, 2725 Montlake Blvd E, Seattle, WA 98112
Sci Rep 5:13499. 2015....
- The toxicity of creosote-treated wood to Pacific herring embryos and characterization of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons near creosoted pilings in Juneau, AlaskaDanielle L Duncan
School of Fisheries and Ocean Sciences, University of Alaska Fairbanks, Juneau, Alaska, USA
Environ Toxicol Chem . 2016..Creosote pilings contribute to the PAH load within a marina and can rise to PAH concentrations that are harmful to fish embryos, but at a scale that is localized in the environment. Environ Toxicol Chem 2016;9999:1-9. © 2016 SETAC...
- Spilled Oils: Static Mixtures or Dynamic Weathering and Bioavailability?Mark G Carls
Auke Bay Laboratories, NMFS, NOAA, Juneau, Alaska, United States of America
PLoS ONE 10:e0134448. 2015....
- Comment on "Toxicity of weathered Exxon Valdez crude oil to pink salmon embryos"Ron A Heintz
Environ Toxicol Chem 27:1475-6; author reply 1476-8. 2008
- Assessment of the phototoxicity of weathered Alaska North Slope crude oil to juvenile pink salmonMace G Barron
P E A K Research, 1130 Avon Lane, Longmont, CO 80501, United States
Chemosphere 60:105-10. 2005..The results of this study suggest that pink salmon may be at less risk from photoenhanced toxicity compared to the translucent early-life stages of several other Alaska species...
- Evaluation of fish early life-stage toxicity models of chronic embryonic exposures to complex polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon mixturesMace G Barron
P E A K Research, 1130 Avon Lane, Longmont, Colorado 80501, USA
Toxicol Sci 78:60-7. 2004..We recommend the continued use of total PAHs as a metric of exposure until mechanistic models have been further evaluated...
- Comment on "Hydrocarbon composition and toxicity of sediments following the Exxon Valdez oil spill in Prince William Sound, Alaska, USA"Stanley D Rice
Environ Toxicol Chem 22:2539-40; author reply 2540-2. 2003
- Photoenhanced toxicity of aqueous phase and chemically dispersed weathered Alaska North Slope crude oil to Pacific herring eggs and larvaeMace G Barron
P E A K Research, 1134 Avon Lane, Longmont, Colorado 80501, USA
Environ Toxicol Chem 22:650-60. 2003..These results are consistent with the hypothesis that weathered ANS is phototoxic and that UV can be a significant and causative factor in the mortality of early life stages of herring exposed to oil and chemically dispersed oil...