Affiliation: National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
- A comparison of variability and population structure for major histocompatibility complex and microsatellite loci in California coastal steelhead (Oncorhynchus mykiss Walbaum)Andres Aguilar
NOAA Southwest Fisheries Science Center, 110 Shaffer Road, Santa Cruz, CA 95060, USA
Mol Ecol 15:923-37. 2006..These results indicate that, at the scale studied here, drift and migration play a major role in the observed geographical variability of MHC genes in steelhead, and that contemporary selection is relatively weak and difficult to detect...
- A comparison of variation between a MHC pseudogene and microsatellite loci of the little greenbul (Andropadus virens)Andres Aguilar
Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095 USA
BMC Evol Biol 5:47. 2005..Previous microsatellite and mitochondrial DNA analyses had revealed little or no genetic differentiation among Cameroon localities but significant differentiation between localities in Cameroon and Ivory Coast...
- Patterns of variation in MHC class II beta loci of the little greenbul (Andropadus virens) with comments on MHC evolution in birdsAndres Aguilar
Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
J Hered 97:133-42. 2006..virens genomic or transcribed MHC sequences. The use of conserved MHC primers followed by analysis of cloned sequences allows rapid isolation of MHC loci from exotic species and avoids laborious large-scale cloning and sequencing...
- Nuclear and mitochondrial diversification in two native California minnows: insights into taxonomic identity and regional phylogeographyAndres Aguilar
School of Natural Sciences and Sierra Nevada Research Institute, University of California, Merced, CA 95344, USA
Mol Phylogenet Evol 51:373-81. 2009..Additionally, these results suggest that differentiation in this group occurs at the river basin level and that the described genetic entities constitute distinct units and should be conserved as such...
- Patterns of historical balancing selection on the salmonid major histocompatibility complex class II beta geneAndres Aguilar
NOAA Southwest Fisheries Science Center and Department of Ocean Sciences, University of California, 110 Shaffer Road, Santa Cruz, CA 95060, USA
J Mol Evol 65:34-43. 2007..More than half of these sites were mammalian ABS codons, but several were not, suggesting subtle functional differences in the mammalian and teleost fish MHC molecules...
- High MHC diversity maintained by balancing selection in an otherwise genetically monomorphic mammalAndres Aguilar
Department of Organismic Biology, Ecology, and Evolution, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:3490-4. 2004..5 on MHC loci. These results support the importance of balancing selection as a mechanism to maintain variation in natural populations and expose the difficulty of using neutral markers as surrogates for variation in fitness-related loci...
- Elevated genetic structure in the coastal tailed frog (Ascaphus truei) in managed redwood forestsAndres Aguilar
School of Natural Sciences and Sierra Nevada Research Institute, University of California, Merced, 5200 North Lake Road, Merced, CA 95344, USA
J Hered 104:202-16. 2013..Results indicate populations of frogs may have persisted at this scale through intense periods of timber harvest, making southern range edge populations of coastal tailed frogs resilient to past land use practices...
- Novel Concordance Between Geographic, Environmental, and Genetic Structure in the Ecological Generalist Prickly Sculpin (Cottus asper) in CaliforniaJason Baumsteiger
From the School of Natural Sciences and Sierra Nevada Research Institute, University of California Merced, 5200N Lake Road, Merced, CA 95344 Baumsteiger, Aguilar Department of Fisheries Biology, Humboldt State University, 1 Harpst Street, Arcata, CA 95521 Kinziger Baumsteiger is now at the Center for Watershed Sciences, University of California Davis, One Shields Avenue, Davis, CA 95616 and Aguilar is now at Department of Biological Sciences, California State University, Los Angeles, 5151 State University Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90032 8530
J Hered 107:504-17. 2016..More broadly, this study illustrates variable environments within the range of a generalist species may mask genetic divergences and should not be overlooked in biodiversity assessments. ..
- Isolation of 15 single nucleotide polymorphisms from coastal steelhead, Oncorhynchus mykiss (Salmonidae)Andres Aguilar
School of Natural Sciences, University of California, Merced, PO Box 2039, Merced, CA 95340, USA, NOAA Southwest Fisheries Science Center, 110 Shaffer Road, Santa Cruz, CA 95060, USA, Institute of Marine Sciences, University of California, Santa Cruz, 110 Shaffer Road, Santa Cruz, CA 95060, USA
Mol Ecol Resour 8:659-62. 2008..Potential applications include evaluation of population structure, introgression between native and hatchery trout, and evaluating reproductive success...