Affiliation: National Institutes of Health
- Breast fine needle aspiration biopsy: prevailing recommendations and contemporary practicesAndrea Abati
Cytopathology Section, National Cancer Institute National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Clin Lab Med 25:631-54, v. 2005..These guidelines were referred to as "The Uniform Approach to Breast Fine Needle Aspiration Biopsy." This article reviews these recommendations and the contemporary evolution of the practice of BFNA since their original publication...
- Utilization of polymerase chain reaction on archival cytologic material: a comparison with fresh material with special emphasis on cerebrospinal fluidsRubina Mattu
Laboratory of Pathology, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Mod Pathol 17:1295-301. 2004..SSL of archival cytologic material can be used with excellent results for molecular diagnostic tests when fresh material is not available or when the cytologic diagnosis needs further clarification...
- Diagnostic effects of prolonged storage on fresh effusion samplesFrances Manosca
Laboratory of Pathology, National Institutes of Health National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 1500, USA
Diagn Cytopathol 35:6-11. 2007..Amplifiable DNA was present in all samples tested on day 14. We conclude that cytopathologic interpretation of effusion samples remains reliable with refrigeration at 4 degrees C even if processing is delayed...
- The needle in the haystack: application of breast fine-needle aspirate samples to quantitative protein microarray technologyAmy Rapkiewicz
Laboratory of Pathology, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, USA
Cancer 111:173-84. 2007..Reverse-phase protein microarray (RPPM) technology has been applied successfully to the quantitative analysis of breast, ovarian, prostate, and colorectal cancers using frozen surgical specimens...
- Sequential gene profiling of basal cell carcinomas treated with imiquimod in a placebo-controlled study defines the requirements for tissue rejectionMonica C Panelli
Immunogenetics Section, Department of Transfusion Medicine, Clinical Center National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Genome Biol 8:R8. 2007..We hypothesized that the characterization of the early transcriptional events induced by imiquimod may provide insights about immunological events preceding acute tissue and/or tumor rejection...
- Cytological identification of metastatic epithelial nephroblastoma in pleural fluid: report of a case and review of literatureMalcolm Schinstine
Laboratory of Pathology, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 1500, USA
Diagn Cytopathol 34:621-5. 2006..Many cystic and tubular structures were identified. The tumor cells demonstrated strong CD56 and WT1 immunoreactivity. The histology of a subsequent surgical specimen reflected the features seen in cytology...
- Detection of malignant hematopoietic cells in cerebral spinal fluid previously diagnosed as atypical or suspiciousMalcolm Schinstine
Cytopathology Section, Laboratory of Pathology, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 1500, USA
Cancer 108:157-62. 2006..In cases with low numbers of cells or ambiguous morphology, the diagnoses of "atypical" or "suspicious" may be used. The significance of these diagnostic terms in this scenario has not been well established...
- Evaluation of prime/boost regimens using recombinant poxvirus/tyrosinase vaccines for the treatment of patients with metastatic melanomaKimberly R Lindsey
Surgery Branch, National Cancer Institute, Center for Cancer Research, NIH, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Clin Cancer Res 12:2526-37. 2006..Two clinical trials were conducted to evaluate the clinical efficacy and immunologic impact of vaccination against the tyrosinase protein plus systemic interleukin 2 (IL-2) administration in patients with advanced metastatic melanoma...
- The effects of antibody clone and pretreatment method on the results of HER2 immunostaining in cytologic samples of metastatic breast cancer: A query and a review of the literaturePatricia A Fetsch
Cytopathology Section, Laboratory of Pathology, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland
Diagn Cytopathol 35:319-28. 2007..We conclude that HIER may enhance membrane staining with the CB-11 and A0485 antibodies, but also increases cytoplasmic background. Loss of antigenicity is seen when HIER is used with TAB250...
- Indinavir-associated interstitial nephritis and urothelial inflammation: clinical and cytologic findingsJeffrey B Kopp
Kidney Disease Section, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, 20892, USA
Clin Infect Dis 34:1122-8. 2002....
- Human melanoma metastases demonstrate nonstochastic site-specific antigen heterogeneity that correlates with T-cell infiltrationEdmund K Bartlett
Authors Affiliations Surgery Branch, Cytopathology Section, Laboratory of Pathology, Biostatistics and Data Management Section, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, NIH, Bethesda, Maryland and Sidra Medical and Research Centre, Doha, Qatar
Clin Cancer Res 20:2607-16. 2014..In this study, we sought to establish from a large series of human melanoma metastases whether there exists a determined pattern in tumor cellular heterogeneity that may guide the development of future targeted immunotherapies...
- Melanoma metastatic to the breast: utility of fine needle aspiration and immunohistochemistryArmando Carlos Filie
Cytopathology Section, Laboratory of Pathology, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Acta Cytol 46:13-8. 2002....
- Diagnostic sensitivity of bronchoalveolar lavage versus lung fine needle aspirateBradly D Clark
Cytopathology ServiceLaboratory of Pathology, National Cancer Institute National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 1500, USA
Mod Pathol 15:1259-65. 2002..Based on our data, LFNA is the superior method for the cytologic diagnosis of pulmonary pathology amenable to cytologic examination...
- Proteomic evaluation of archival cytologic material using SELDI affinity mass spectrometry: potential for diagnostic applicationsPatricia A Fetsch
Laboratory of Pathology, National Institutes of Health, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD 20892 1500, USA
Am J Clin Pathol 118:870-6. 2002..These preliminary findings suggest a substantial potential for SELDI applications to specific pathologic diagnoses...
- Localization of the ABCG2 mitoxantrone resistance-associated protein in normal tissuesPatricia A Fetsch
Laboratory of Pathology, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Cancer Lett 235:84-92. 2006..These data suggest a dual function for ABCG2 in some tissues: the excretion of toxins and xenobiotics including anti-cancer agents and a potential, as-yet undefined role in the secretion of endogenous substrates...
- Combined breast ductal lavage and ductal endoscopy for the evaluation of the high-risk breast: a feasibility studyDavid N Danforth
Surgery Branch, The Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Surg Oncol 94:555-64. 2006....
- Adult T-cell leukemia/lymphoma: a cytopathologic, immunocytochemical, and flow cytometric studyLaila Dahmoush
National Institutes of Health National Cancer Institute, Section of Cytopathology, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Cancer 96:110-6. 2002..Adult T-cell leukemia/lymphoma (ATLL) is a postthymic lymphoproliferative neoplasm of T cells caused by human T-cell lymphotropic virus (HTLV-1). Most cases are found in Japan, the Caribbean basin, and West Africa...
- Infection of mesothelial cells with human herpes virus 8 in human immunodeficiency virus-infected patients with Kaposi's sarcoma, Castleman's disease, and recurrent pleural effusionsPeter Bryant-Greenwood
Laboratory of Pathology, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Building 10, Room 2A19, Bethesda, MD, USA
Mod Pathol 16:145-53. 2003..Additional studies need to be done to define the role of mesothelial cell infection in the pathogenesis of these HHV 8-associated effusions and define the prognostic significance...
- Granulocytic invasion of the central nervous system after hematopoietic stem cell transplantation for systemic lupus erythematosusPaolo A Muraro
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, USA
Haematologica 91:ECR21. 2006..Granulocytic invasion of the central nervous system represents a novel and possibly preventable cause of neurological complications during haematologic reconstitution...
- Urinary cytology associated with human polyomavirus and indinavir therapy in HIV-infected patientsArmando C Filie
Cytopathology Section, Laboratory of Pathology, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Am J Clin Pathol 117:922-6. 2002..Indinavir crystals have a characteristic fan or circular lamellate appearance. Because indinavir crystals may be associated with genitourinary disease, recognizing and reporting them is clinically relevant in HIV+ patients...
- The clinical immunohistochemistry laboratory: regulations and troubleshooting guidelinesPatricia A Fetsch
Laboratory of Pathology, Cytopathology Section, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, USA
Methods Mol Biol 588:399-412. 2010..The second portion of this chapter addresses the most common problems encountered in immunohistochemical procedures and the appropriate solutions to correct them...
- Comparison of three commonly used cytologic preparations in effusion immunocytochemistryPatricia A Fetsch
Cytopathology Section, National Institutes of Health National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 1500, USA
Diagn Cytopathol 26:61-6. 2002..The cost per test for cell block immunocytochemistry was also the most economical for our laboratory...
- There may be "madness in the methods," but the devil is in the detailsPatricia A Fetsch
Diagn Cytopathol 34:590-3; author reply 594-5. 2006
- Adoptive cell transfer therapy following non-myeloablative but lymphodepleting chemotherapy for the treatment of patients with refractory metastatic melanomaMark E Dudley
Surgery Branch, National Cancer Institute, NIH, CRC 3 3940, 10 Center Dr MSC 1201, Bethesda MD 20892 1202, USA
J Clin Oncol 23:2346-57. 2005..We investigated the combination of lymphodepleting chemotherapy followed by the adoptive transfer of autologous tumor reactive lymphocytes for the treatment of patients with refractory metastatic melanoma...
- Fine-needle aspiration of a Xp11.2 translocation/TFE3 fusion renal cell carcinoma metastatic to the lung: report of a case and review of the literatureMalcolm Schinstine
Department of Pathology, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, 940 S L Young Boulevard, Oklahoma City, OK 73104, USA
Diagn Cytopathol 34:751-6. 2006..These findings correspond to the recently described Xp11.2 translocation/TFE3 fusion renal cell carcinoma. To our knowledge, this is the first report describing the cytologic features of an Xp11.2 translocation/TFE3 fusion RCC...
- Use of peptide antibodies to probe for the mitoxantrone resistance-associated protein MXR/BCRP/ABCP/ABCG2Thomas Litman
Laboratory of Oncology, Herlev University Hospital, DK 2730 Herlev, Denmark
Biochim Biophys Acta 1565:6-16. 2002..These results support the hypothesis that ABCG2 is an ABC half-transporter that forms dimers in the plasma membrane, functioning as an ATP-dependent outward pump for substrate transport...
- High incidence of occult leptomeningeal disease detected by flow cytometry in newly diagnosed aggressive B-cell lymphomas at risk for central nervous system involvement: the role of flow cytometry versus cytologyUpendra Hegde
Experimental Transplantation and Immunology Branch, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health Bethesda, MD 20892 1868, USA
Blood 105:496-502. 2005..Patients at risk for CNS spread should undergo staging CSF evaluation by flow cytometry...
- The National Cancer Institute Thyroid FNA State of the Science Conference: "Wrapped up"Andrea Abati
Diagn Cytopathol 36:388-9. 2008