Daniel P Glavin
Affiliation: NASA Ames Research Center
- Enrichment of the amino acid L-isovaline by aqueous alteration on CI and CM meteorite parent bodiesDaniel P Glavin
National Aeronautics and Space Administration Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, MD 20771, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:5487-92. 2009....
- New method for estimating bacterial cell abundances in natural samples by use of sublimationDaniel P Glavin
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, Maryland 20071, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 70:5923-8. 2004..coli cell equivalents per gram. For most of these samples, the sublimation-based cell counts were in agreement with total bacterial counts obtained by traditional DAPI (4,6-diamidino-2-phenylindole) staining...
- Understanding prebiotic chemistry through the analysis of extraterrestrial amino acids and nucleobases in meteoritesAaron S Burton
Oak Ridge Associated Universities, Greenbelt, MD 20771, USA
Chem Soc Rev 41:5459-72. 2012..Finally, we will address the future of meteorite research, including asteroid sample return missions...
- Amino acid analysis in micrograms of meteorite sample by nanoliquid chromatography-high-resolution mass spectrometryMichael P Callahan
Solar System Exploration Division, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, Maryland 20771, USA Electronic address
J Chromatogr A 1332:30-4. 2014..g., micrometeorites, interplanetary dust particles, and cometary particles) for biologically-relevant organic molecules. ..
- Carbonaceous meteorites contain a wide range of extraterrestrial nucleobasesMichael P Callahan
National Aeronautics and Space Administration Goddard Space Flight Center and The Goddard Center for Astrobiology, Greenbelt, MD 20771, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:13995-8. 2011..The discovery of new nucleobase analogs in meteorites also expands the prebiotic molecular inventory available for constructing the first genetic molecules...
- Organics captured from comet 81P/Wild 2 by the Stardust spacecraftScott A Sandford
Astrophysics Branch, NASA Ames Research Center, Moffett Field, CA 94035, USA
Science 314:1720-4. 2006..Although the variable extent of modification of these materials by impact capture is not yet fully constrained, a diverse suite of organic compounds is present and identifiable within the returned samples...
- The Urey instrument: an advanced in situ organic and oxidant detector for Mars explorationAndrew D Aubrey
Jet Propulsion Laboratory, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, California 91109, USA
Astrobiology 8:583-95. 2008..This instrument is named in honor of Harold Urey for his seminal contributions to the fields of cosmochemistry and the origin of life...
- Meteoritic Amino Acids: Diversity in Compositions Reflects Parent Body HistoriesJamie E Elsila
Solar System Exploration Division, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, Maryland 20771, United States
ACS Cent Sci 2:370-9. 2016....
- Distribution and stable isotopic composition of amino acids from fungal peptaibiotics: assessing the potential for meteoritic contaminationJamie E Elsila
Goddard Center for Astrobiology and Solar System Exploration Division, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, Maryland 20771, USA
Astrobiology 11:123-33. 2011..We also identify potentially diagnostic relationships between the stable isotopic compositions of pairs of amino acids from the fungal peptides that may aid in ruling out fungal contamination as a source of meteoritic amino acids...
- Direct isolation of purines and pyrimidines from nucleic acids using sublimationDaniel P Glavin
Scripps Institution of Oceanography, University of California at San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093, USA
Anal Chem 74:6408-12. 2002..These results demonstrate the feasibility of using sublimation to isolate purines and pyrimidines from native E. coli DNA and RNA without any chemical treatment of the cells...
- Relative amino acid concentrations as a signature for parent body processes of carbonaceous chondritesOliver Botta
Scripps Institution of Oceanography, University of California at San Diego, La Jolla, CA, USA
Orig Life Evol Biosph 32:143-63. 2002..In contrast to CMs, the data from the CI carbonaceous chondrites indicate that the Strecker synthesis was not active on their parent bodies...