Affiliation: Mount Sinai School of Medicine
- Novel variant of thyroglobulin promoter triggers thyroid autoimmunity through an epigenetic interferon alpha-modulated mechanismMihaela Stefan
Division of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York, New York 10029, USA
J Biol Chem 286:31168-79. 2011..These results reveal a new mechanism of interaction between environmental (IFNα) and genetic (TG) factors to trigger AITD...
- Genetic analysis of interferon induced thyroiditis (IIT): evidence for a key role for MHC and apoptosis related genes and pathwaysAlia Hasham
Division of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY, USA
J Autoimmun 44:61-70. 2013..1), HLA (6p21.3), and TAP1 (6p21.3) that may be involved in the pathogenesis of IIT. Immune-regulation and apoptosis emerged as the predominant mechanisms underlying the etiology of IIT. ..
- Fine mapping of loci linked to autoimmune thyroid disease identifies novel susceptibility genesYaron Tomer
Department of Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York 10029, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 98:E144-52. 2013..We have previously identified three loci on chromosomes 10q, 12q, and 14q that showed strong linkage with AITD, HT, and GD, respectively...
- DNA methylation profiles in type 1 diabetes twins point to strong epigenetic effects on etiologyMihaela Stefan
Division of Endocrinology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA James J Peters Veterans Administration Medical Center, Bronx, NY 10468, USA
J Autoimmun 50:33-7. 2014..Our findings suggest that abnormalities of DNA methylation patterns, known to regulate gene transcription, may be involved in the pathogenesis of T1D. ..
- IFN-α mediates the development of autoimmunity both by direct tissue toxicity and through immune cell recruitment mechanismsNagako Akeno
Division of Endocrinology, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, OH 45267, USA
J Immunol 186:4693-706. 2011..Taken together, our data demonstrate that the induction of tissue inflammation and autoimmunity by IFN-α involves direct tissue toxic effects as well as provocation of destructive bystander immune responses...
- Immunogenetics of autoimmune thyroid diseases: A comprehensive reviewHanna J Lee
Division of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY, USA
J Autoimmun 64:82-90. 2015..Here we review the major immune-modulating genes that are associated with AITD and their potential functional effects on thyroidal immune dysregulation...
- Tg.2098 is a major human thyroglobulin T-cell epitopeFrancesca Menconi
Department of Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY, USA
J Autoimmun 35:45-51. 2010..Taken together these findings suggest that Tg.2098, a strong and specific binder to the disease-associated HLA-DRbeta-Arg74, is a major human T-cell epitope and participant in the pathoetiology of AITD...