David A J Moore
- La cuerda dulce--a tolerability and acceptability study of a novel approach to specimen collection for diagnosis of paediatric pulmonary tuberculosisFelicia Chow
Asociación Benéfica Proyectos en Informática, Salud, Medicina, y Agricultura AB PRISMA, Lima, Peru
BMC Infect Dis 6:67. 2006....
- Infrequent MODS TB culture cross-contamination in a high-burden resource-poor settingDavid A J Moore
Department of Infectious Diseases and Immunity, Imperial College London Wellcome Centre for Clinical Tropical Medicine, W12 0NN London, UK
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 56:35-43. 2006..Low rates of cross-contamination are achievable in mycobacterial laboratories in resource-poor settings even when a large proportion of samples are infectious and highly sensitive liquid culture-based diagnostics such as MODS are used...
- Microscopic-observation drug-susceptibility assay for the diagnosis of TBDavid A J Moore
Department of Infectious Diseases and Immunity and the Wellcome Centre for Clinical Tropical Medicine, Imperial College London, Faculty of Medicine Hammersmith Campus, London, United Kingdom
N Engl J Med 355:1539-50. 2006....
- Upper-room ultraviolet light and negative air ionization to prevent tuberculosis transmissionA Roderick Escombe
Department of Infectious Diseases and Immunity, Imperial College London, UK
PLoS Med 6:e43. 2009..We evaluated the efficacy of upper-room ultraviolet (UV) lights and negative air ionization for preventing airborne TB transmission using a guinea pig air-sampling model to measure the TB infectiousness of ward air...
- The infectiousness of tuberculosis patients coinfected with HIVA Roderick Escombe
Department of Infectious Diseases and Immunity, Imperial College London, United Kingdom
PLoS Med 5:e188. 2008..Recently we recreated this model in Lima, Perú, and in this paper we report the use of molecular fingerprinting to investigate patient infectiousness in the current era of HIV infection and multidrug-resistant (MDR) TB...
- The detection of airborne transmission of tuberculosis from HIV-infected patients, using an in vivo air sampling modelA Roderick Escombe
Department of Infectious Diseases and Immunity, Imperial College London, London, United Kingdom
Clin Infect Dis 44:1349-57. 2007..We created an in vivo air sampling model to study airborne transmission of tuberculosis from patients coinfected with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) and to evaluate environmental control measures...
- Solar disinfection of MODS mycobacterial cultures in resource-poor settingsRuvandhi Nathavitharana
Department of Infectious Diseases and Immunity and Wellcome Centre for Clinical Tropical Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College London, London, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 2:e1100. 2007..We investigated the use of a simple solar cooker for the sterilization of mycobacterial broth cultures from the microscopic observation drug susceptibility assay (MODS)...
- Transmission of Multidrug-Resistant and Drug-Susceptible Tuberculosis within Households: A Prospective Cohort StudyLouis Grandjean
Wellcome Centre for Clinical Tropical Medicine, Imperial College London, London, United Kingdom Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Lima, Peru TB Centre, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, United Kingdom
PLoS Med 12:e1001843; discussion e1001843. 2015..To estimate the relative fitness of drug-resistant tuberculosis cases, we compared the incidence of tuberculosis disease among the household contacts of MDRTB index patients to that among the contacts of drug-susceptible index patients...
- The Association between Mycobacterium Tuberculosis Genotype and Drug Resistance in PeruLouis Grandjean
Wellcome Centre for Clinical Tropical Medicine, Imperial College London, St Mary s Campus, Norfolk Place, London, United Kingdom London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, TB Centre and Department of Clinical Research, Keppel St, London, United Kingdom Laboratorio de Investigacion y Desarrollo, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, San Martin de Porres, Lima, Peru
PLoS ONE 10:e0126271. 2015....
- Alternative methods of diagnosing drug resistance--what can they do for me?David A J Moore
Department of Clinical Research, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, United Kingdom
J Infect Dis 204:S1110-9. 2011..We review the bewildering array of choices facing TB program directors and attempt to provide objective information to help in deciding what tools may be best suited to different environments...
- Microscopic Observation Drug Susceptibility Assay for Rapid Diagnosis of Lymph Node Tuberculosis and Detection of Drug ResistanceDaniela E Kirwan
Department of Medical Microbiology, St George s Hospital, London, United Kingdom Infectious Diseases and Immunity, Imperial College London, London, United Kingdom
J Clin Microbiol 54:185-9. 2016..Despite its lower sensitivity than that of other methods, its faster results and simultaneous DST are advantageous in resource-poor settings, supporting the incorporation of MODS into diagnostic algorithms for extrapulmonary TB. ..
- A field evaluation of the Hardy TB MODS Kit™ for the rapid phenotypic diagnosis of tuberculosis and multi-drug resistant tuberculosisLaura Martin
Laboratorio de Investigación en Enfermedades Infecciosas, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Lima, Peru Wellcome Centre for Clinical Tropical Medicine, Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine, London, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 9:e107258. 2014..Here we report the results from a large-scale field evaluation of the MODS kit in a government service laboratory...
- Reaching out to take on TB in SomaliaDavid A J Moore
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine TB Centre, London, WC1E 7HT, UK
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 108:4-5. 2014..In the extremely challenging environment of Somalia, multiple partners are making headway though collaboration and innovation...
- Natural ventilation for the prevention of airborne contagionA Roderick Escombe
Department of Infectious Diseases and Immunity, Imperial College London, London, United Kingdom
PLoS Med 4:e68. 2007..Natural ventilation may offer a low-cost alternative. Our objective was to investigate the rates, determinants, and effects of natural ventilation in health care settings...
- Improved diagnosis of pleural tuberculosis using the microscopic- observation drug-susceptibility techniqueMarco Tovar
Departamento de Microbiologia, Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Lima, Peru
Clin Infect Dis 46:909-12. 2008..51%; time to diagnosis, 11 days vs. 24 days; P < .001). The MODS technique is inexpensive, allows drug-susceptibility testing, and is a considerably improved diagnostic method for pleural tuberculosis...
- Diagnosis of smear-negative tuberculosis in people with HIV/AIDSDavid A J Moore
Lancet 370:1033-4. 2007
- Recent tuberculosis advances in Latin AmericaTom Pelly
A B PRISMA, Lima, Peru
Curr Opin Infect Dis 17:397-403. 2004..Tuberculosis kills more people than any other infection. Despite advances in diagnostic methods and greater understanding of the reasons for treatment failure, tuberculosis remains common throughout Latin America...
- Microscopic observation drug susceptibility assay, a rapid, reliable diagnostic test for multidrug-resistant tuberculosis suitable for use in resource-poor settingsDavid A J Moore
Laboratorio de Investigación de Enfermedades Infecciosas, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, San Martin de Porras, Lima, Peru
J Clin Microbiol 42:4432-7. 2004..A comprehensive prospective evaluation of MODS is under way in Perú, and independent validation in nonresearch laboratories should be undertaken at the earliest opportunity...
- Diagnosis of sputum-scarce HIV-associated pulmonary tuberculosis in Lima, PeruDaniel Vargas
Asociación Benéfica Proyectos en Informática, Salud, Medicina, y Agricultura, Lima, Peru
Lancet 365:150-2. 2005..03). These preliminary data suggest that the string test is safe and effective for retrieval of useful clinical specimens for diagnosis of pulmonary tuberculosis, and is at least as sensitive as sputum induction...
- Improved recovery of Mycobacterium tuberculosis from children using the microscopic observation drug susceptibility methodRichard A Oberhelman
Department of Tropical Medicine, Tulane School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, 1440 Canal St, SL 29, New Orleans, Louisiana 70112, USA
Pediatrics 118:e100-6. 2006....
- Postmortem findings and opportunistic infections in HIV-positive patients from a public hospital in PeruDominique Eza
Departamento de Laboratorio y Anatomía Patológica, Hospital Nacional Dos de Mayo, Parque Historia de la Medicina Peruana s n, Altura de Cuadra 13 Avenida Grau, Lima 1, Peru
Pathol Res Pract 202:767-75. 2006....
- Does traditional medicine use hamper efforts at tuberculosis control in urban Peru?Clarissa C Oeser
Asociacion Benefica PRISMA, Lima, Peru
Am J Trop Med Hyg 73:571-5. 2005..01). We thus found no evidence that use of traditional remedies has an appreciable effect on diagnostic delay in Lima...
- Future prospects for the MODS assay in multidrug-resistant tuberculosis diagnosisDavid A J Moore
Future Microbiol 2:97-101. 2007
- Tuberculosis in the developing world: recent advances in diagnosis with special consideration of extensively drug-resistant tuberculosisLouis Grandjean
Department of Paediatric Infectious Diseases, St Mary s Hospital Campus, UK
Curr Opin Infect Dis 21:454-61. 2008....
- Inter- and intra-assay reproducibility of microplate Alamar blue assay results for isoniazid, rifampicin, ethambutol, streptomycin, ciprofloxacin, and capreomycin drug susceptibility testing of Mycobacterium tuberculosisBrian Leonard
Laboratorio de Investigación de Enfermedades Infecciosas, Facultad de Ciencias y Filosofia, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Av Honorio Delgado No 430, San Martin de Porras, Lima 31, Peru
J Clin Microbiol 46:3526-9. 2008..Between 1.2 and 8.5% of paired MICs differed by more than one twofold dilution, resulting in discordant susceptible-resistant designations at frequencies between 0.6% (rifampin) and 18.9% (ethambutol)...
- High rates of tuberculosis in end-stage renal failure: the impact of international migrationDavid A J Moore
Dept of Infectious Diseases, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine, Hammersmith Hospital, London W12 0NN, UK
Emerg Infect Dis 8:77-8. 2002..We recommend enhanced vigilance and screening of such patients, both to reduce illness and death and to prevent nosocomial spread of TB among susceptible persons...