Affiliation: Middlebury College
- Why we must provide better support for Pakistan's female frontline health workersSvea Closser
Department of Sociology and Anthropology, Middlebury College, Middlebury, Vermont, United States of America
PLoS Med 10:e1001528. 2013b>Svea Closser and Rashid Jooma argue that achieving polio eradication and strengthening Pakistan's health system must focus not just on international engagement but also on local partnerships with Lady Health Workers and other ground-level ..
- Methods for evaluating the impact of vertical programs on health systems: protocol for a study on the impact of the global polio eradication initiative on strengthening routine immunization and primary health careSvea Closser
Department of Sociology and Anthropology, Middlebury College, 306 Munroe Hall, Middlebury, VT 05753, USA
BMC Public Health 12:728. 2012..This article describes a research protocol developed to assess the relationship between the Global Polio Eradication Initiative, routine immunization, and primary health care in multiple settings...
- "We Can't Give Up Now": global health optimism and polio eradication in PakistanSvea Closser
Department of Sociology Anthropology, Middlebury College, Middlebury, Vermont 05753, USA
Med Anthropol 31:385-403. 2012..At the same time, it prevents open, objective analysis of the problems the project faces...
- The impact of polio eradication on routine immunization and primary health care: a mixed-methods studySvea Closser
Department of Sociology and Anthropology, Middlebury College, Middlebury
J Infect Dis 210:S504-13. 2014..This study evaluated the impact of polio eradication activities on routine immunization (RI) and primary healthcare (PHC)...
- Listening to community health workers: how ethnographic research can inform positive relationships among community health workers, health institutions, and communitiesKenneth Maes
at the time of writing, Kenneth Maes was with the Department of Anthropology, School of Language, Culture, and Society, Oregon State University, Corvallis Svea Closser was with the Department of Sociology and Anthropology, Middlebury College, Middlebury, VT Ippolytos Kalofonos was with the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Health, University of Washington, Seattle
Am J Public Health 104:e5-9. 2014..We call for a broader application of ethnographic research to inform working relationships among CHWs, communities, and health institutions. ..