Affiliation: Michigan State University
- Improving informed consent: insights from behavioral decision researchMargaret Holmes-Rovner
College of Human Medicine, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 48824, USA
Med Care 40:V30-8. 2002..However, there is still little evidence about how well informed consent works to assist patients to reach informed decisions about research participation...
- Evidence-based patient choice: a prostate cancer decision aid in plain languageMargaret Holmes-Rovner
Department of Medicine, Michigan State University, C214 East Fee, East Lansing, MI, USA
BMC Med Inform Decis Mak 5:16. 2005..The plain language DA prototype addressed treatment decisions for localized prostate cancer. Evaluation assessed impact on knowledge, decisions, and discussions with doctors in men newly diagnosed with prostate cancer...
- Men's theories about benign prostatic hyperplasia and prostate cancer following a benign prostatic hyperplasia decision aidMargaret Holmes-Rovner
Department of Medicine and Center for Ethics, College of Human Medicine, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
J Gen Intern Med 21:56-60. 2006..To use qualitative methods to explore audiotape evidence of unanticipated confusion between benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) and prostate cancer in using a videotape BPH treatment decision aid (DA)...
- Nurse-led group visits support shared decision making in stable coronary artery diseaseKatherine Dontje
College of Nursing, Michigan State University, East Lansing 48824, USA
J Cardiovasc Nurs 28:269-76. 2013....
- Shared Decision Making Guidance Reminders in Practice (SDM-GRIP)Margaret Holmes-Rovner
Center for Ethics and Humanities in the Life Sciences, C203 East Fee, Michigan State University College of Human Medicine, East Lansing, MI 48824 1316, USA
Patient Educ Couns 85:219-24. 2011..SDM-GRIP (Shared Decision Making Guidance Reminders in Practice) was developed for suspected stable coronary artery disease (CAD), prior to the percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI) decision...
- Decision aids for benign prostatic hyperplasia: applicability across race and educationDavid R Rovner
Department of Medicine, College of Human Medicine, Michigan State University, East Lansing 48823, USA
Med Decis Making 24:359-66. 2004..The authors conducted interviews in a 2 x 2 race by education design with participants who were 50 years old (n = 188). The decision aid was a benign prostatic hyperplasia videotape...
- Refining a brief decision aid in stable CAD: cognitive interviewsKaren Kelly-Blake
College of Human Medicine, Michigan State University, East Lansing, USA
BMC Med Inform Decis Mak 14:10. 2014..We describe the results of cognitive interviews to refine the "Making Choices©" Decision Aid (DA) for shared decision-making (SDM) about stress testing in patients with stable coronary artery disease (CAD)...
- Interventions for providers to promote a patient-centred approach in clinical consultationsFrancesca Dwamena
Department ofMedicine, Michigan StateUniversityCollege ofHumanMedicine, East Lansing, Michigan, USA
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 12:CD003267. 2012..However, the impact of these interventions directly on clinical encounters and indirectly on patient satisfaction, healthcare behaviour and health status has not been adequately evaluated...
- Preliminary validation of the Satisfaction With Decision scale with depressed primary care patientsCelia E Wills
Michigan State University, College of Nursing and Professor, Michigan State University, College of Human Medicine, East Lansing, MI 48825, USA
Health Expect 6:149-59. 2003..To conduct a preliminary validation of the Satisfaction With Decision (SWD) scale with depressed primary care patients...
- Do self-report and medical record comorbidity data predict longitudinal functional capacity and quality of life health outcomes similarly?Adesuwa B Olomu
College of Human Medicine, Clinical Center Building, Michigan State University, 788 Service Road, Room B329, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
BMC Health Serv Res 12:398. 2012..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the performance of the Self-Administered Comorbidity Questionnaire (SCQ) to predict functional capacity, quality of life (QOL) health outcomes compared to CCI medical records data...
- Prudent evidence-fettered shared decision makingElizabeth Libby Bogdan-Lovis
Center for Ethics and Humanities in the Life Sciences, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 48824, USA
J Eval Clin Pract 16:376-81. 2010..We conclude that a frugal default option is a fruitful avenue for future exploration in such situations...
- Treatment decision-making and the form of risk communication: results of a factorial surveyLarry A Hembroff
Institute for Public Policy and Social Research, 321 Berkey Hall, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
BMC Med Inform Decis Mak 4:20. 2004..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the effect of relative and absolute risk information on patient decision-making in scenarios typical of health information for patients...
- Patient comprehension of information for shared treatment decision making: state of the art and future directionsCelia E Wills
College of Nursing, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48825, USA
Patient Educ Couns 50:285-90. 2003..Additional theoretical and practical issues are discussed, as well as selected policy implications of current knowledge...
- Treatment preference patterns during a videotape decision aid for benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH)Celia E Wills
College of Nursing, Michigan State University, G38 North Hubbard Hall, East Lansing, 48825, USA
Patient Educ Couns 61:16-22. 2006..Decision aids for benign prostatic hyperplasia: applicability across race and education. Med Decis Making 2004;24:359-66], preferences for BPH treatment options were assessed...
- A shared decision-making primary care intervention for type 2 diabetesWilliam Corser
College of Nursing, Michigan State University, A109 Life Sciences Building, East Lansing, MI 48824 1317, USA
Diabetes Educ 33:700-8. 2007..The purpose of this study is to test the feasibility of a brief shared decision-making (SDM) goal-setting intervention among individuals with type 2 diabetes...
- Are patient decision aids the best way to improve clinical decision making? Report of the IPDAS SymposiumMargaret Holmes-Rovner
College of Human Medicine, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
Med Decis Making 27:599-608. 2007..The participants' vote on the proposition was approximately half for and half against...
- Patient decision-making related to antirheumatic drugs in rheumatoid arthritis: the importance of patient trust of physicianRichard W Martin
Departments of Medicine and Rheumatology, College of Human Medicine, Michigan State University, Grand Rapids, Michgan 49546, USA
J Rheumatol 35:618-24. 2008....
- International collaboration in shared decision-making: the International Shared Decision Making (ISDM) conference history and prospectsMargaret Holmes-Rovner
Health Services Research, Michigan State University College of Human Medicine, East Lansing, MI 48823, United States
Patient Educ Couns 73:402-6. 2008..Analyze the role of collaboration in the International Shared Decision Making organization (ISDM)...
- "Concordance between comorbidity data from patient self-report interviews and medical record documentation"William Corser
College of Nursing, Michigan State University, B500A West Fee Hall, East Lansing, Michigan 48824, USA
BMC Health Serv Res 8:85. 2008..The purpose of these prospectively planned analyses was to examine the concordance of comorbidity data obtained from patient self-report survey interviews and hospital medical record documentation...
- Does outpatient telephone coaching add to hospital quality improvement following hospitalization for acute coronary syndrome?Margaret Holmes-Rovner
Center for Ethics, C203 E Fee Hall, Michigan State University College of Human Medicine, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
J Gen Intern Med 23:1464-70. 2008..Telephone counseling in chronic disease self-management is increasing, but has not been tested in studies that control for quality of medical care...
- Colorectal cancer screening barriers in persons with low incomeMargaret Holmes-Rovner
Health Service Research, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 48824, USA
Cancer Pract 10:240-7. 2002..The purpose of this study was to provide insight into the modest success of a physician and patient education and reminder program that improved screening rates from 37% to 49% among rural Medicaid-eligible patients in western Michigan...
- Rate and predictors of blood pressure control in a federal qualified health center in Michigan: a huge concern?Adesuwa B Olomu
College of Human Medicine, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI, USA
J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich) 15:254-63. 2013..02). We found that patients who attended the FQHC had a lower rate of BP control compared with the national average. Our study revealed a male sex disparity and significantly lower rate of BP control among DM patients...
- The mammography screening controversy: who and what is heard in the press?Margaret Holmes-Rovner
Department of Medicine, B213 Clinical Center, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
Patient Educ Couns 51:75-81. 2003..Medical journals' and charities' press releases that begin to include discussion of uncertainty inherent in medical technologies can contribute to evidence-based public deliberation...
- Health behavior goals of cardiac patients after hospitalizationJodi Summers Holtrop
Department of Family Practice, College of Human Medicine, Michigan State University, East Lansing 48824, USA
Am J Health Behav 30:387-99. 2006..To examine the types and influences of health behavior goals self-selected by post hospitalized cardiac patients...
- Implementing shared decision making in federally qualified health centers, a quasi-experimental design study: the Office-Guidelines Applied to Practice (Office-GAP) programAdesuwa Olomu
Department of Medicine, Michigan State University, East Lansing, USA
BMC Health Serv Res 16:334. 2016..The Office-Guidelines Applied to Practice (Office-GAP) intervention is an application of a previous model revised to address guidelines based care for low-income populations with diabetes and coronary heart disease (CHD)...
- Informed Decision Making: Assessment of the Quality of Physician Communication about Prostate Cancer Diagnosis and TreatmentMargaret Holmes-Rovner
Michigan State University Center for Ethics, College of Human Medicine, East Lansing, MI, USA MHR, JW Department of Medicine, College of Human Medicine, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI, USA MHR, DRR Department of Urology, University of Michigan Health System, Ann Arbor, MI, USA JSM Section of Urology, Department of Surgery, VA Ann Arbor, Ann Arbor, MI, USA JSM Center for Bioethics and Social Sciences in Medicine, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA LS, VCK, AF VA Ann Arbor Center for Clinical Management Research, Ann Arbor, MI, USA VCK, AF Department of Psychological Sciences, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO, USA LS, ECM Department of Medicine, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC, USA PAU Fuqua School of Business, Duke University, Durham, NC, USA PAU Departments of Internal Medicine and Psychology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
Med Decis Making 35:999-1009. 2015..We evaluated completeness and quality of informed decision making in localized prostate cancer post biopsy encounters...
- Posthospital heart-healthy behaviors in adults with comorbid diabetesMelodee L Vanden Bosch
College of Nursing, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
Clin Nurs Res 21:327-49. 2012..Results suggest the need for sustained and tailored nursing interventions to facilitate heart-healthy behavior changes in adults with diabetes after ACS hospitalization...
- Hormone therapy after the Women's Health Initiative: a qualitative studyLinda M French
Department of Family Medicine, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan, USA
BMC Fam Pract 7:61. 2006..The purpose of this study was to describe the impact of new hormone therapy recommendations on patients' attitudes and decision-making in a primary care practice...
- Shared decision-making in the US--research & development outpaces deliveryMargaret Holmes-Rovner
Health Services Research, Michigan State University, 2007 Visiting Professor, Center for the Advancement of Health, Washington DC, USA
Z Arztl Fortbild Qualitatssich 101:254-8. 2007....
- Changes in practice patterns affecting in-hospital and post-discharge survival among ACS patientsManfred Stommel
College of Nursing, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan, USA
BMC Health Serv Res 6:140. 2006....
- Estimating mean hospital cost as a function of length of stay and patient characteristicsElena Polverejan
Department of Epidemiology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48823, USA
Health Econ 12:935-47. 2003....
- Likely consequences of increased patient choiceMargaret Holmes-Rovner
Health Expect 8:1-3. 2005
- International Patient Decision Aid Standards (IPDAS): beyond decision aids to usual design of patient education materialsMargaret Holmes-Rovner
Health Expect 10:103-7. 2007
- Men's interpretations of graphical information in a videotape decision aidJan Pylar
Integrity Rehabilitation Services, Brighton, MI, USA
Health Expect 10:184-93. 2007..A descriptive study design was used to examine men's interpretations of a representative sample of the types of graphs that were shown in the benign prostatic hyperplasia videotape DA...
- The development of COMRADE--a patient-based outcome measure to evaluate the effectiveness of risk communication and treatment decision making in consultationsAdrian Edwards
Department of Primary Care, Clinical School of Medicine, University of Wales Swansea, Singleton Park, UK
Patient Educ Couns 50:311-22. 2003..Usage in further studies will facilitate systematic reviews. Consequently, lessons for wider application of these interventions in practice, and policy implications regarding greater patient involvement should then be clearer...
- Hopelessness and depression in the early recovery period after hospitalization for acute coronary syndromeSusan L Dunn
Nursing Department, Hope College, Holland, MI 49423, USA
J Cardiopulm Rehabil 26:152-9. 2006....
- Outpatient medication use and health outcomes in post-acute coronary syndrome patientsZhou Yang
Department of Health Services Research, Management and Policy, University of Florida, 101 S Newell Dr, Rm 4141, Gainesville, FL 32610 0195, USA
Am J Manag Care 12:581-7. 2006..To investigate the pattern of postdischarge evidence-based outpatient medication use and its impact on subsequent hospital readmissions in post-acute coronary syndrome (ACS) patients...
- Patient education materials about the treatment of early-stage prostate cancer: a critical reviewAngela Fagerlin
Veterans Administration Center for Practice Management and Outcomes Research, Veterans Administration Healthcare System, and Division of General Medicine, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 0429, USA
Ann Intern Med 140:721-8. 2004..To ensure that patients make informed medical decisions, patient education materials must communicate treatment risks and benefits...
- Do patient decision aids meet effectiveness criteria of the international patient decision aid standards collaboration? A systematic review and meta-analysisAnnette M O'Connor
Ottawa Health Research Institute, Canada
Med Decis Making 27:554-74. 2007..To describe the extent to which patient decision aids (PtDAs) meet effectiveness standards of the International Patient Decision Aids Collaboration (IPDAS)...
- Presidential reflections on the 25th anniversary of the society for medical decision makingArthur S Elstein
Department of Medical Education, University of Illinois at Chicago, USA
Med Decis Making 24:408-20. 2004
- Developing a quality criteria framework for patient decision aids: online international Delphi consensus processGlyn Elwyn
Department of General Practice, Centre for Health Sciences Research, Cardiff University, Cardiff CF14 4YS
BMJ 333:417. 2006..To develop a set of quality criteria for patient decision support technologies (decision aids)...