Genomes and Genes
X M Guan
Affiliation: Merck Research Laboratories
- Distribution of neuromedin U receptor subtype 2 mRNA in the rat brainX M Guan
Department of Metabolic Disorders, Merck Research Laboratories, P O Box 2000, Rahway, NJ 07065, USA
Brain Res Gene Expr Patterns 1:1-4. 2001..The presence of NMU2R in the hypothalamus is consistent with its role in energy balance. Significant levels of expression of NMU2R elsewhere in the brain may suggest additional physiological functions for this neuropeptide...
- Regulation of energy homeostasis by bombesin receptor subtype-3: selective receptor agonists for the treatment of obesityXiao Ming Guan
Merck Research Laboratories, Rahway, NJ 07065, USA
Cell Metab 11:101-12. 2010..These results demonstrate that BRS-3 has a role in energy homeostasis that complements several well-known pathways and that BRS-3 agonists represent a potential approach to the treatment of obesity...
- Evidence of altered hypothalamic pro-opiomelanocortin/ neuropeptide Y mRNA expression in tubby miceX M Guan
Department of Genetics and Molecular Biology, Merck Research Laboratories, P O Box 2000, Rahway, NJ 07065, USA
Brain Res Mol Brain Res 59:273-9. 1998..These results suggest that the altered hypothalamic POMC and/or NPY functions may be important contributing factors for the development of obesity in this animal model...
- Inactivation of the mouse melanocortin-3 receptor results in increased fat mass and reduced lean body massA S Chen
Department of Obesity Research, Merck Research Laboratories, Rahway, New Jersey, USA
Nat Genet 26:97-102. 2000..Mice lacking both Mc3r and Mc4r become significantly heavier than Mc4r(-/-) mice. We conclude that Mc3r and Mc4r serve non-redundant roles in the regulation of energy homeostasis...
- Orexigenic action of peripheral ghrelin is mediated by neuropeptide Y and agouti-related proteinH Y Chen
Department of Metabolic Disorders, Merck Research Laboratories, P O Box 2000, RY80T 150, Rahway, New Jersey 07065, USA
Endocrinology 145:2607-12. 2004..Our results establish an in vivo orexigenic function for NPY and AgRP, mediating the effect of ghrelin...
- Role of the melanocortin-4 receptor in metabolic rate and food intake in miceA S Chen
Department of Metabolic Disorders, Merck Research Laboratories, NJ, USA
Transgenic Res 9:145-54. 2000..We conclude that MC-4R can mediate control of both metabolic rate and food intake in mice. We infer that a role for MC-3R in mediating the acute effects of MT-II on basal metabolic rate and food intake in wildtype mice seems limited...
- Identification and characterization of novel mammalian neuropeptide FF-like peptides that attenuate morphine-induced antinociceptionQ Liu
Department of Pharmacology, Merck Research Laboratories, West Point, Pennsylvania 19486, USA
J Biol Chem 276:36961-9. 2001..These results indicate that the endogenous ligands for FF1 and FF2 are NPVF- and NPFF-derived peptides, respectively, and suggest that the NPVF/FF1 system may be an important part of endogenous anti-opioid mechanism...
- A selective human beta3 adrenergic receptor agonist increases metabolic rate in rhesus monkeysM H Fisher
Department of Medicinal Chemistry, Merck Research Laboratories, Rahway, New Jersey 07065, USA
J Clin Invest 101:2387-93. 1998..These data suggest a role for beta3 agonists in the treatment of human obesity...
- Identification of receptors for neuromedin U and its role in feedingA D Howard
Department of Metabolic Disorders, Merck Research Laboratories, Rahway, New Jersey 07065, USA
Nature 406:70-4. 2000..These findings provide a molecular basis for the biochemical activities of NMU and may indicate that NMU is involved in the central control of feeding...
- Potent and selective human beta(3)-adrenergic receptor antagonistsM R Candelore
Department of Molecular Pharmacology Immunology and Rheumatology, Merck and Co, Rahway, New Jersey, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 290:649-55. 1999..In addition, we describe specific 3'-phenoxy substitutions that transform these compounds from potent agonists into selective antagonists...
- Mutant human presenilin 1 protects presenilin 1 null mouse against embryonic lethality and elevates Abeta1-42/43 expressionS Qian
Department of Biochemistry and Physiology, Merck Research Laboratories, Rahway, New Jersey 07065, USA
Neuron 20:611-7. 1998....
- Characteristic dysfunction of stunned myocardium induced by 2,3-butanedione monoxime without ischaemiaX Wang
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, UMDNJ Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, Piscataway, New Jersey 08854 5635, USA
Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 32:968-74. 2005..Because contractility was not impaired, dysfunction was apparently caused by disrupting the association between contractile force and muscle motion...
- Cloning, sequencing, and expression of the rhesus monkey beta 2 adrenergic receptorA M Amend
Department of Molecular Pharmacology and Biochemistry, Merck Research Laboratories, Rahway, NJ 07065, USA
DNA Cell Biol 14:753-7. 1995..Therefore, the rhesus monkey represents a valid animal model for developing therapeutic agents targeted at the corresponding human beta 2 receptor...