Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: Medical College of Wisconsin
- Osteopontin and calcium stone formationJack G Kleinman
Nephrology Division, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, and Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee 53925, USA
Nephron Physiol 98:p43-7. 2004..Finally, preliminary data is presented regarding the amounts and features of OPN present in the urine of stone formers and normal individuals...
- Bariatric surgery, hyperoxaluria, and nephrolithiasis: a plea for close postoperative management of risk factorsJ G Kleinman
Division of Nephrology, Medical College of Wisconsin and VA Medical Center, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53295, USA
Kidney Int 72:8-10. 2007..After Roux-en-Y, it is important for patients to maintain high urine outputs, to limit fat intake, and to ingest adequate amounts of calcium...
- Acidic polyanion poly(acrylic acid) prevents calcium oxalate crystal depositionJack G Kleinman
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Medical College of Wisconsin and the Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53295, USA
Kidney Int 74:919-24. 2008..1) had the same effects on crystallization in vitro. Our study shows that acidic polymers hold promise as effective therapies for kidney stones likely through prevention of calcium oxalate crystal aggregate formation...
- Induction of apoptosis with cisplatin enhances calcium oxalate crystal adherence to inner medullary collecting duct cellsJack G Kleinman
The Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI, USA
Urol Res 38:97-104. 2010..We conclude that pre-existing apoptotic injury may promote calcium oxalate crystals attachment to renal tubular epithelium via apical NRP expression...
- Telokin expression and the effect of hypoxia on its phosphorylation status in smooth muscle cells from small and large pulmonary arteriesJane A Madden
Department of Neurology, Zablocki Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53295, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 294:L1166-73. 2008..These results suggest that in SPA, phosphorylated telokin may help maintain relaxation under unstimulated conditions, whereas in LPA, telokin's function remains undetermined...
- An acidic peptide sequence of nucleolin-related protein can mediate the attachment of calcium oxalate to renal tubule cellsElena A Sorokina
Nephrology Division, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 15:2057-65. 2004..These results support the notion that surface-associated NRP could mediate attachment of CaOx to the renal tubule epithelium, thereby causing retention of crystals that might eventually become kidney stones...
- Osteopontin is a critical inhibitor of calcium oxalate crystal formation and retention in renal tubulesJeffrey A Wesson
Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center and Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 14:139-47. 2003..These data indicate that OPN plays a critical renoprotective role in vivo as an inhibitor of CaOx crystal formation and retention in renal tubules...