J W Wilson
Affiliation: Mayo Clinic
- Extensively Drug-Resistant Tuberculosis: Principles of Resistance, Diagnosis, and ManagementJohn W Wilson
Department of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN Electronic address
Mayo Clin Proc 91:482-95. 2016..We review the principles of TB drug resistance and the risk factors, diagnosis, and managerial approaches for extensively drug-resistant TB. Treatment outcomes, cost, and unresolved medical issues are also discussed. ..
- Bacterial pathogensJohn W Wilson
Department of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, Mayo Clinic, 200 First Street, SW, Rochester, MN, 55905, USA
Cancer Treat Res 161:91-128. 2014..Antimicrobial resistance in select gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria are discussed along with the mechanisms of resistance and recommended therapies. ..
- Nocardiosis: updates and clinical overviewJohn W Wilson
Division of Infectious Diseases, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 87:403-7. 2012..This review addresses the microbiology of Nocardia, risk factors for infection, clinical presentations, and management strategies...
- Detecting delayed microbiology results after hospital discharge: improving patient safety through an automated medical informatics toolJohn W Wilson
Division of Infectious Diseases, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 86:1181-5. 2011..The CBAM program serves an important role in optimizing patient care and communication with the health care professional during the transition from inpatient to outpatient management...
- Pneumocystis jirovecii testing by real-time polymerase chain reaction and direct examination among immunocompetent and immunosuppressed patient groups and correlation to disease specificityJohn W Wilson
Division of Infectious Diseases, Mayo Clinic and Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 69:145-52. 2011..The use of single-copy gene targets (e.g., cdc2) may lower the rate of "colonization" detection and confer a high predictive value for Pneumocystis pneumonia...
- Comparative evaluation of three human immunodeficiency virus genotyping systems: the HIV-GenotypR method, the HIV PRT GeneChip assay, and the HIV-1 RT line probe assayJ W Wilson
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Clin Microbiol 38:3022-8. 2000..We conclude that although discrepancies in results exist between assays, each assay showed a similar capacity to identify potentially clinically relevant mutations related to patient treatment regimens...
- Hospital rules-based system: the next generation of medical informatics for patient safetyJohn W Wilson
Pharmacy Services and Division of Infectious Diseases, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Am J Health Syst Pharm 62:499-505. 2005..The hospital rules-based system (HRBS) and its subsystems at a major medical center are described...
- Para-aminosalicylic acid (PAS) desensitization review in a case of multidrug-resistant pulmonary tuberculosisJ W Wilson
Division of Infectious Diseases, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 7:493-7. 2003..Tertiary care hospital in the Upper Midwest, United States...
- Optimal testing parameters for blood culturesF R Cockerill
Department of Pathology, Division of Microbiology, Mayo Clinic and Foundation and Mayo Medical School, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Clin Infect Dis 38:1724-30. 2004..Guidelines developed in the 1970s and 1980s for processing and culturing blood may require revision...
- Cidofovir treatment of progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy in a patient receiving highly active antiretroviral therapyR R Razonable
Division of Infectious Diseases and Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn 55905, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 76:1171-5. 2001....
- Bronchoscopy in suspected pulmonary TB with negative induced-sputum smear and MTD(®) Gen-probe testingVivek N Iyer
Division of Pulmonology and Critical Care Medicine, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Gonda 18S, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Respir Med 105:1084-90. 2011..We sought to determine the diagnostic yield of bronchoscopy in these patients with negative initial induced-sputum results both via smear and NAA testing...
- Skin and soft tissue infections due to rapidly growing mycobacteria: comparison of clinical features, treatment, and susceptibilityDaniel Z Uslan
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Arch Dermatol 142:1287-92. 2006..To compare the demographics, clinical features, susceptibility patterns, and treatment for skin and soft tissue infections due to Mycobacterium fortuitum and Mycobacterium chelonae or Mycobacterium abscessus...
- In situ rifampin-soaked grafts with omental coverage and antibiotic suppression are durable with low reinfection rates in patients with aortic graft enteric erosion or fistulaGustavo S Oderich
Division of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, USA
J Vasc Surg 53:99-106, 107.e1-7; discussion 106-7. 2011..This study evaluates the late results of ISRG for AGEF...
- Incidence of Pseudomonas aeruginosa bacteremia: a population-based studyMajdi N Al-Hasan
Department of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, College of Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Am J Med 121:702-8. 2008..The incidence of Pseudomonas aeruginosa bacteremia has not been defined in a population-based investigation...
- Incidence of tuberculosis in Olmsted County, Minnesota, 1990-2001Sarah M Jump
Mayo Medical School, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minn 55905, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 79:1119-23. 2004..To describe and compare the incidence and clinical characteristics of tuberculosis in Olmsted County, Minnesota, among US-born and foreign-born persons...
- Linezolid and serotonergic drug interactions: a retrospective surveyJeremy J Taylor
Department of Pharmacy, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
Clin Infect Dis 43:180-7. 2006..Controversy exists regarding whether linezolid and SSRIs can be given concomitantly. The purpose of this study was to report the incidence of serotonin syndrome in patients receiving linezolid and SSRIs...
- Effect of telephoned notification of positive Clostridium difficile test results on the time to the ordering of antimicrobial therapyBrandon P Verdoorn
Mayo Medical School, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 29:658-60. 2008..The mean times to the ordering of antimicrobial therapy were 11.9 and 3.6 hours, respectively (P < .001)...
- Characterization of bacterial infections in allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplant recipients who received prophylactic levofloxacin with either penicillin or doxycyclineBridgette L Therriault
Department of Pharmacy, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 85:711-8. 2010....
- Update on antiretroviral drug resistance testing: combining laboratory technology with patient careJohn W Wilson
Division of Infectious Diseases, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
AIDS Read 13:25-30, 35-8. 2003..This review discusses updated genotyping and phenotyping methodologies, assay utilities and limitations, clinical validation studies, and current recommendations...
- Iron deficiency in cystic fibrosis: relationship to lung disease severity and chronic Pseudomonas aeruginosa infectionDavid W Reid
Cystic Fibrosis Service, Department of Respiratory Medicine, Monash University Medical School, Alfred Hospital, Prahran, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Chest 121:48-54. 2002....
- De novo breast cancer in patients with liver transplantation: University of Pittsburgh's experience and review of the literatureM Tahir Oruc
Thomas Starzl Transplantation Institute, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Liver Transpl 10:1-6. 2004..However, the effects of chemotherapy, radiotherapy, and/or tamoxifen remain unclear in transplanted patients and need to be evaluated in larger studies...
- Relationship of blood lead levels to incident nonspine fractures and falls in older women: the study of osteoporotic fracturesNaila Khalil
Department of Epidemiology, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15261, USA
J Bone Miner Res 23:1417-25. 2008..07, 2.45; p trend = 0.014) compared with women with lowest lead level. Blood lead levels are associated with an increased risk of falls and fractures, extending the negative health consequences of lead to include osteoporotic fractures...
- Diverticular disease in patients with colon cancer: subgroup analysis of national surgical adjuvant breast and bowel project protocol C-06Atilla Soran
The National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project Operations and Biostatistical Centers, USA
Clin Colorectal Cancer 6:140-5. 2006..National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project (NASBP) protocol C-06 is a clinical trial comparing oral uracil/tegafur/leucovorin with 5-fluorouracil/leucovorin in patients with resected stage II/III carcinoma of the colon...
- Update on the treatment of tuberculosisLisa D Inge
Department of Pharmacy Practice, Shands Jacksonville Medical Center, University of Florida College of Pharmacy, Jacksonville, Florida 32209, USA
Am Fam Physician 78:457-65. 2008..Similarly, care of persons coinfected with human immunodeficiency virus and tuberculosis poses additional challenges, including drug interactions and immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome...
- Metabolic alkalosis contributes to acute hypercapnic respiratory failure in adult cystic fibrosisAnne E Holland
Department of Physiotherapy, The Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Chest 124:490-3. 2003..The aim of this study was to determine the prevalence of metabolic alkalosis in adults with hypercapnic respiratory failure in the setting of acute exacerbations of CF compared with COPD...
- Estrogen receptor status of primary breast cancer is predictive of estrogen receptor status of contralateral breast cancerSandra M Swain
National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 96:516-23. 2004....