Affiliation: Mayo Clinic
- Microseizures and the spatiotemporal scales of human partial epilepsyMatt Stead
Department of Neurology, Mayo Systems Electrophysiology Laboratory, Mayo Clinic, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55901, USA
Brain 133:2789-97. 2010..Epileptogenesis may involve the creation of these topographically fractured microdomains and ictogenesis (seizure generation), the dynamics of their interaction and spread...
- Surgery for movement disordersW Hu
Department of Neurology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, MN, USA
J Neurosurg Sci 55:305-17. 2011....
- Multiscale electrophysiology format: an open-source electrophysiology format using data compression, encryption, and cyclic redundancy checkBenjamin H Brinkmann
The Mayo Systems Electrophysiology Lab, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 2009:7083-6. 2009..Open-source software to read, write, and process these files are provided...
- Increased cortical extracellular adenosine correlates with seizure terminationJamie J Van Gompel
Department of Neurological Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota, U S A
Epilepsia 55:233-44. 2014..Because electrochemical techniques can provide vastly superior temporal resolution, we test the hypothesis that extracellular adenosine concentrations rise during seizure termination in an animal model and humans using electrochemistry...
- Spatiotemporal neuronal correlates of seizure generation in focal epilepsyMark R Bower
Department of Neurology, Mayo Clinic, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, U S A
Epilepsia 53:807-16. 2012..e., "unit") activity in patients with epilepsy have a long history, no studies have examined long-term firing rates leading into seizures and the spatial relationship of unit activity with respect to the seizure-onset zone...
- Metadata and annotations for multi-scale electrophysiological dataMark R Bower
Mayo Systems Electrophysiology Lab, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 2009:2811-4. 2009..An example of a graphical utility for generating and evaluating metadata and annotations for "big data" files is presented...
- Network oscillations modulate interictal epileptiform spike rate during human memoryJoseph Y Matsumoto
Mayo Systems Electrophysiology Laboratory, Department of Neurology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Brain 136:2444-56. 2013....
- Intravenous recording of intracranial, broadband EEGMark R Bower
Department of Neurology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, USA
J Neurosci Methods 214:21-6. 2013..As intravascular techniques have transformed cardiology, so intravascular neurophysiology may transform intracranial monitoring, in general, and the treatment of epilepsy, in particular...
- Reactivation of seizure-related changes to interictal spike shape and synchrony during postseizure sleep in patientsMark R Bower
Department of Neurology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota, U S A
Epilepsia 58:94-104. 2017....
- Evidence for consolidation of neuronal assemblies after seizures in humansMark R Bower
Department of Neurology, Division of Clinical Neurophysiology and Epilepsy, Mayo Systems Electrophysiology Laboratory, and
J Neurosci 35:999-1010. 2015..These results suggest that seizures "hijack" physiological learning mechanisms and also suggest a novel epilepsy therapy targeting neuronal dynamics during post-seizure sleep. ..
- On the recording reference contribution to EEG correlation, phase synchrony, and coherenceSanqing Hu
Department of Neurology, Division of Epilepsy and Electroencephalography, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
IEEE Trans Syst Man Cybern B Cybern 40:1294-304. 2010..The experimental results demonstrate the significant impact that the recording reference may have on these bivariate measures...
- Behavioral state classification in epileptic brain using intracranial electrophysiologyVaclav Kremen
Neurology, Mayo Clinic Minnesota, Rochester, Minnesota, United States
J Neural Eng . 2017..In this study we explored the feasibility of automated awake (AW) and slow wave sleep (SWS) classification using wide bandwidth intracranial EEG (iEEG) in patients undergoing evaluation for epilepsy surgery...
- Centromedian-Parafascicular Complex Deep Brain Stimulation for Tourette Syndrome: A Retrospective StudyPaola Testini
Department of Neurologic Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
Mayo Clin Proc 91:218-25. 2016..This surgical series adds to the literature on CM-Pf DBS and supports its use as an effective and safe therapeutic option for severe refractory TS. ..
- Swine model for translational research of invasive intracranial monitoringJamie J Van Gompel
Department of Neurological Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
Epilepsia 52:e49-53. 2011..Therefore, we feel this model provides a valuable, reliable, and novel platform for translational studies of implantable hardware for intracranial monitoring...
- Synchrony in normal and focal epileptic brain: the seizure onset zone is functionally disconnectedChristopher P Warren
Mayo Systems Electrophysiology Laboratory, Department of Neurology, Division of Epilepsy and Electroencephalography, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Neurophysiol 104:3530-9. 2010..We further speculate that this functional isolation may contribute to spontaneous seizure generation and may represent a clinically useful electrophysiological signature for mapping epileptic brain...
- Deep brain stimulation in tourette syndrome: a description of 3 patients with excellent outcomeRodolfo Savica
Department of Neurology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 87:59-62. 2012..At 1-year follow-up, the mean reduction in the total Yale Global Tic Severity Scale score in the 3 patients was 70% (range, 60%-80%).Our study further supports the role of the CM/Pf DBS target in medically intractable TS...
- Automatic identification and removal of scalp reference signal for intracranial EEGs based on independent component analysisSanqing Hu
Department of Neurology, Division of Epilepsy and Electroencephalography, Mayo Clinic, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 54:1560-72. 2007..The proposed methods should have wide application in quantitative EEG studies...
- The functional organization of human epileptic hippocampusPetr Klimes
Mayo Systems Electrophysiology Laboratory, Department of Neurology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota Institute of Scientific Instruments of the CAS, Brno, Czech Republic International Clinical Research Center, St Anne s University Hospital, Brno, Czech Republic
J Neurophysiol 115:3140-5. 2016..Further study of these phenomena may prove useful for SOZ localization and help understand seizure generation, and the functional deficits seen in epileptic eloquent cortex. ..
- Forecasting Seizures Using Intracranial EEG Measures and SVM in Naturally Occurring Canine EpilepsyBenjamin H Brinkmann
Mayo Systems Electrophysiology Laboratory, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, United States of America
PLoS ONE 10:e0133900. 2015..e. algorithms are subject specific, but achieve prediction performance significantly better than a time-matched Poisson random predictor (p<0.05) in 5/5 dogs analyzed. ..
- Chronic subthreshold subdural cortical stimulation for the treatment of focal epilepsy originating from eloquent cortexNicholas D Child
Department of Neurology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota, U S A
Epilepsia 55:e18-21. 2014....
- Underlying neurobiology and clinical correlates of mania status after subthalamic nucleus deep brain stimulation in Parkinson's disease: a review of the literatureAmit Chopra
Department of Psychiatry and Psychology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN, USA
J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci 24:102-10. 2012..Such working models would serve to further our understanding of the neurobiological underpinnings of mania and contribute valuable new insight toward development of future DBS mood-stabilization therapies...
- Statistical parametric mapping demonstrates asymmetric uptake with Tc-99m ECD and Tc-99m HMPAO SPECT in normal brainBenjamin H Brinkmann
Mayo Systems Electrophysiology Laboratory, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 32:190-8. 2012..The results have important implications for the use of normal control SPECT images in the evaluation of patients with neurologic disease...
- Precise stimulation location optimizes speech outcomes in essential tremorJoseph Y Matsumoto
Department of Neurology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, 100 2nd Street Southwest, Rochester, MN 55905, United States Electronic address
Parkinsonism Relat Disord 32:60-65. 2016..Deep brain stimulation for essential arm tremor is often complicated by dysarthria and persistent voice tremor...
- Long-term outcomes after nonlesional extratemporal lobe epilepsy surgeryKatherine Noe
Department of Neurology, Mayo Clinic, Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
JAMA Neurol 70:1003-8. 2013..Most studies investigating the outcomes of patients with normal MRI findings who underwent (nonlesional) extratemporal epilepsy surgery are confined to a highly select group of patients with limited follow-up...
- Large-scale electrophysiology: acquisition, compression, encryption, and storage of big dataBenjamin H Brinkmann
Mayo Systems Electrophysiology Laboratory, 1216 Second Street SW, Rochester, MN, USA
J Neurosci Methods 180:185-92. 2009..Data are stored in a file format that incorporates lossless data compression using range-encoded differences, a 32-bit cyclically redundant checksum to ensure data integrity, and 128-bit encryption for protection of patient information...
- Electrophysiological biomarkers of epilepsyRichard J Staba
David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Department of Neurology, Room 2 155, 710 Westwood Plaza, Los Angeles, CA, 90095, USA
Neurotherapeutics 11:334-46. 2014..Here, we discuss several aspects of HFOs, as well as IIS and microseizures, and the evidence that supports their role as biomarkers of epilepsy. ..
- Deep brain stimulation in benign tremulous parkinsonismRodolfo Savica
Department of Neurology, College of Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Arch Neurol 68:1033-6. 2011..This disorder has an uncertain pathophysiologic relationship to idiopathic Parkinson disease. Deep brain stimulation (DBS) should be efficacious for this condition, but there is no previously published experience...
- Surgically treated movement disorders associated with heterotopia: report of 2 casesJeffrey P Mullin
Department of Neurosurgery, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Neurosurg Pediatr 6:267-72. 2010..To the best of our knowledge, these cases are the first reported instances of heterotopic gray matter associated with movement disorders. Both patients experienced significant improvements following resection of their heterotopias...