- Towards an experimental cognitive science of CBT
University of California, Davis, USA
Behav Ther 37:314-8. 2006
..Beyond providing evidence for the causal role of selective cognitive processes, this approach offers a potentially powerful method for investigating and developing new therapeutic tools...
- Facilitating a benign interpretation bias in a high socially anxious population
Department of Psychology, Institute of Psychiatry, London, UK
Behav Res Ther 45:1517-29. 2007
..Possible implications of the findings for therapeutic interventions in social phobia are discussed...
- Feels like the real thing: imagery is both more realistic and emotional than verbal thought
Department of Psychology, University of California, Davis, CA 95616 8686, USA
Cogn Emot 27:217-29. 2013
..We conclude that mental images are both more emotionally arousing and more likely to be confused with real events than are verbal descriptions, although source accuracy for images varies according to how they are encoded...
- The causal effect of mental imagery on emotion assessed using picture-word cues
Emily A Holmes
Department of Psychiatry, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
Emotion 8:395-409. 2008
- Cognitive vulnerability to emotional disorders
Medical Research Council, Cognition and Brain Sciences Unit, Cambridge, United Kingdom
Annu Rev Clin Psychol 1:167-95. 2005
..Beyond merely demonstrating the existence of biased processing, research is thus beginning to explore the cognitive causes of emotional vulnerability, and their modification...
- Rumination and attention in major depression
Department of Psychology, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, De Crespigny Park, Denmark Hill, London SE5 8AF, UK
Behav Res Ther 45:2664-78. 2007
..Overall, the results showed that depression is associated with a strategic attentional bias towards negative information and that this bias is stronger in individuals who habitually ruminate...
- Interpretation biases in social anxiety: response generation, response selection, and self-appraisals
Jonathan D Huppert
Center for the Treatment and Study of Anxiety, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, 3535 Market St, Suite 600N, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Behav Res Ther 45:1505-15. 2007
..Results are discussed in terms of a multi-stage processing model of interpretation biases...
- Positive interpretation training: effects of mental imagery versus verbal training on positive mood
Emily A Holmes
MRC Cognition and Brain Sciences Unit, Cambridge, UK
Behav Ther 37:237-47. 2006
..This study also provides the first test of a standardized intervention using an "interpretive bias training" paradigm to improve positive mood...
- Imagery and interpretations in social phobia: support for the combined cognitive biases hypothesis
Colette R Hirsch
Institute of Psychiatry, King s College, University of London, De Crespigny Park, UK
Behav Ther 37:223-36. 2006
..Clinical implications and the potential utility of examining the combined influence of other cognitive biases are highlighted...
- The causal role of interpretive bias in anxiety reactivity
Edward J Wilson
Department of Psychology, University of Western Australia, Nedlands, Australia
J Abnorm Psychol 115:103-11. 2006
..The finding that the manipulation of interpretive bias modified emotional reactivity supports the hypothesis that interpretive bias can indeed play a causal role in anxiety vulnerability...