Affiliation: Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Effect of pre-adsorbed proteins on attachment, proliferation, and function of endothelial cellsMercedes Balcells
Department of Health Sciences and Technology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge 02139, USA
J Cell Physiol 191:155-61. 2002..The results indicate that the cell adhesion mediators used as coating agents dictate cell biological production as well as adhesion and proliferation...
- Cells in fluidic environments are sensitive to flow frequencyMercedes Balcells
Harvard MIT Division of Health Sciences and Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
J Cell Physiol 204:329-35. 2005..These findings suggest that frequency, independent of shear, is an essential determinant of cell response in pulsatile environments...
- Amyloid beta toxicity dependent upon endothelial cell stateMercedes Balcells
Harvard MIT Division of Health Sciences and Technology, 77 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139, United States
Neurosci Lett 441:319-22. 2008..The specific interactions of Abeta and EC in a state-dependent fashion may help understand further the common and divergent forms of vascular and cerebral toxicity of Abeta and the spectrum of AD...
- Smooth muscle cells orchestrate the endothelial cell response to flow and injuryMercedes Balcells
Harvard MIT Division of Health Sciences and Technology, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Circulation 121:2192-9. 2010..We hypothesized that flow differentially affects mTOR signaling in ECs and SMCs and that SMCs regulate mTOR in ECs...
- Importance of receptor-targeted systems in the battle against atherosclerosisElisabet Rosàs
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Harvard MIT Biomedical Engineering Center, 77 Massachusetts Avenue, E25 438, Cambridge, MA 02139, US
Curr Pharm Des 19:5897-903. 2013..We summarize the latest studies focused on detecting endothelial dysfunction during the early stages of atherosclerosis, when the disease is asymptomatic and describe strategies recently proposed to image and target advanced plaque. ..
- Treatment with chondroitin sulfate to modulate inflammation and atherogenesis in obesityPedro Melgar-Lesmes
Institute for Medical Engineering and Science, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA, USA Electronic address
Atherosclerosis 245:82-7. 2016..We examined how CS treatment affects the formation of atheroma via interaction with endothelial cells and monocytes...
- Modifications of microvascular EC surface modulate phototoxicity of a porphycene anti-ICAM-1 immunoconjugate; therapeutic implicationsElisabet Rosàs
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 77 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, United States
Langmuir 29:9734-43. 2013..These findings have two major implications; the relevance of ICAM-1 as a modulator of drug effects in microvasculature, and the potential of the porphycene bioconjugate as a promising novel PDT agent. ..