Affiliation: Massachusetts General Hospital
- An approach to the patient with dysregulated mood: major depression and bipolar disorderJohn Querques
Department of Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital, 55 Fruit Street, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Med Clin North Am 94:1117-26, x. 2010..In this article, the authors discuss a general approach for general internists, family practitioners, and other primary care providers to follow in caring for patients with suspected MDD or bipolar disorder...
- Beyond capacity: identifying ethical dilemmas underlying capacity evaluation requestsNicholas Kontos
Department of Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Psychosomatics 54:103-10. 2013..Psychiatric consultations involving the evaluation of patients' medical decision-making capacity often seem to have little to do with truly compromised patient autonomy...
- Psychiatric polypharmacy: a clinical approach based on etiology and differential diagnosisOliver Freudenreich
Harvard Medical School, Department of Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Harv Rev Psychiatry 20:79-85. 2012..Psychiatrists can ask themselves a Kantian question: would my way of prescribing lead to good, socially acceptable outcomes if followed by all physicians treating similar patients?..
- Capable of more: some underemphasized aspects of capacity assessmentNicholas Kontos
Department of Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA Electronic address
Psychosomatics 56:217-26. 2015..The 4-abilities model of decision-making capacity is vulnerable to constricted application and teaching...
- Postoperative deliriumGregory L Fricchione
Massachusetts General Hospital, Department of Psychiatry, Warren 615, 55 Fruit St, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Am J Psychiatry 165:803-12. 2008
- The muddles of medicine: a practical, clinical addendum to the biopsychosocial modelOliver Freudenreich
MGH Division of Psychiatry and Medicine, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Psychosomatics 51:365-9. 2010..The commonly-accepted "biopsychosocial model" does not always lend itself to the kind of pragmatic decisions that many clinical situations demand of physicians...
- Ownership, responsibility and hospital care: lessons for the consultation psychiatristNicholas Kontos
Department of Psychiatry, Cambridge Health Alliance, Harvard Medical School, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Gen Hosp Psychiatry 30:257-62. 2008..To identify scenarios in which consultation psychiatrists encounter difficulty reconciling their clinical role with consultees' expectations and to suggest concepts that help navigate these situations...