Affiliation: Massachusetts General Hospital
- "Poor Insight": A Capacity Perspective on Treatment Refusal in Serious Mental IllnessNicholas Kontos
Dr Kontos and Dr Freudenreich are with the Department of Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston e mail Dr Querques is with the Department of Psychiatry, Tufts Medical Center, Boston
Psychiatr Serv 67:1254-1256. 2016....
- Capable of more: some underemphasized aspects of capacity assessmentNicholas Kontos
Department of Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA Electronic address
Psychosomatics 56:217-26. 2015..The 4-abilities model of decision-making capacity is vulnerable to constricted application and teaching...
- Beyond capacity: identifying ethical dilemmas underlying capacity evaluation requestsNicholas Kontos
Department of Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Psychosomatics 54:103-10. 2013..Psychiatric consultations involving the evaluation of patients' medical decision-making capacity often seem to have little to do with truly compromised patient autonomy...
- Perspective: biomedicine--menace or straw man? Reexamining the biopsychosocial argumentNicholas Kontos
Harvard Medical School, and Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Acad Med 86:509-15. 2011..The biopsychosocial model would be best served by shedding the biomedical straw man and modifying its ambitions...
- Ownership, responsibility and hospital care: lessons for the consultation psychiatristNicholas Kontos
Department of Psychiatry, Cambridge Health Alliance, Harvard Medical School, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Gen Hosp Psychiatry 30:257-62. 2008..To identify scenarios in which consultation psychiatrists encounter difficulty reconciling their clinical role with consultees' expectations and to suggest concepts that help navigate these situations...
- Psychiatric polypharmacy: a clinical approach based on etiology and differential diagnosisOliver Freudenreich
Harvard Medical School, Department of Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Harv Rev Psychiatry 20:79-85. 2012..Psychiatrists can ask themselves a Kantian question: would my way of prescribing lead to good, socially acceptable outcomes if followed by all physicians treating similar patients?..
- The muddles of medicine: a practical, clinical addendum to the biopsychosocial modelOliver Freudenreich
MGH Division of Psychiatry and Medicine, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Psychosomatics 51:365-9. 2010..The commonly-accepted "biopsychosocial model" does not always lend itself to the kind of pragmatic decisions that many clinical situations demand of physicians...
- Psychological Symptom Amplification: Are Psychological Symptoms Subject to "Somatization"-Like Processes?Nicholas Kontos
From Harvard Medical School and Department of Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA
Harv Rev Psychiatry 24:302-7. 2016..The largely symptom-based nature of psychiatric diagnosis makes PSA a challenging, but necessary, object of further scientific and clinical scrutiny. ..
- The consultation psychiatrist as effective physicianNicholas Kontos
Department of Psychiatry, Cambridge Health Allilance, Harvard Medical School, Cambridge, MA, USA
Gen Hosp Psychiatry 25:20-3. 2003..These principles emphasize the medical model, the status of the psychiatrist as a medical expert, and the importance of defining one's professional limits...
- An approach to the patient with dysregulated mood: major depression and bipolar disorderJohn Querques
Department of Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital, 55 Fruit Street, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Med Clin North Am 94:1117-26, x. 2010..In this article, the authors discuss a general approach for general internists, family practitioners, and other primary care providers to follow in caring for patients with suspected MDD or bipolar disorder...
- Electronic Support Groups: An Open Line of Communication in Contested IllnessMichael Murphy
Department of Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA McLean Hospital, Belmont, MA Electronic address
Psychosomatics 57:547-555. 2016..The relationship between doctors and patients can be strained, which limits communication. Instead, patients often communicate with each other over the Internet in electronic support groups...
- Updates in Psychosomatic Medicine: 2014Oliver Freudenreich
Department of Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA Electronic address
Psychosomatics 56:445-59. 2015..The amount of literature published annually related to psychosomatic medicine is vast; this poses a challenge for practitioners to keep up-to-date in all but a small area of expertise...
- An approach to symptoms at the interface of medicine and psychiatry: pain, insomnia, weight loss and anorexia, fatigue and forgetfulness, and sexual dysfunctionOliver Freudenreich
Harvard Medical School, 25 Shattuck Street, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Med Clin North Am 94:1217-27, xi. 2010..The management of a patient in whom no satisfactory medical or psychiatric diagnosis can be made is also reviewed briefly...