J A Billings
Affiliation: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Family satisfaction and bereavement care following death in the hospitalJ A Billings
The Palliative Care Service, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02114 2696, USA
J Palliat Med 2:33-49. 1999..Although 19% of respondents had sought professional help, none had been referred by their physician or the deceased's physician. Hospital-based social workers and chaplains played, at best, a minor role in bereavement follow-up...
- Monolithic moral frameworks: how are the ethics of palliative sedation discussed in the clinical literature?J Andrew Billings
Cambridge Health Alliance, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
J Palliat Med 15:709-13. 2012..We then offer brief examples of how clinicians might use other moral frameworks to assess the ethics of preemptive sedation for terminal extubation. We argue for greater moral pluralism in approaching end-of-life decisions...
- The need for safeguards in advance care planningJ Andrew Billings
Harvard Medical School Center for Palliative Care, 11 Hilliard Street, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
J Gen Intern Med 27:595-600. 2012....
- Humane terminal extubation reconsidered: the role for preemptive analgesia and sedationJ Andrew Billings
Massachusetts General Hospital, Cambridge, MA, USA
Crit Care Med 40:625-30. 2012..Therefore, when death is inevitable and imminent after extubation, suffering should be anticipated, concerns about respiratory depression dismissed, and vigorous preemptive deep sedation or anesthesia provided...
- A one-day, hospital-wide survey of dying inpatientsJ Andrew Billings
Harvard Medical School Centre for Palliative Care and Massachusetts General Hospital, Palliative Care Service, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
J Palliat Med 5:363-74. 2002..We discuss possible policy implication of this study, primarily that general hospitals should consider developing specialized palliative care services for this substantial group of inpatients...
- A palliative care careerJ Andrew Billings
Palliative Care Service, Founders 600, Massachusetts General Hospital, 55 Fruit Street, Boston MA 02114 2698, USA
J Palliat Med 10:1258-61. 2007
- Vicissitudes of the clinician-patient relationship in end-of-life care: recognizing the role for teamsJ Andrew Billings
Palliative Care Service, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, FND 600, 55 Fruit Street, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Palliat Med 5:295-9. 2002
- The role of palliative care in the home in medical education: report from a national consensus ConferenceJ A Billings
Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Palliat Med 4:361-71. 2001..Academic medical centers and hospice/home health agencies should collaborate to develop effective training programs...
- Survey of palliative care programs in United States teaching hospitalsJ A Billings
Palliative Care Service, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School Center for Palliative Care, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Palliat Med 4:309-14. 2001..More detailed information is needed about the type and quality of care they provide...
- Psychosocial training in a palliative care fellowshipJ Andrew Billings
Palliative Care Service, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School Center for Palliative Care, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
J Palliat Med 6:355-63. 2003....
- Palliative care in undergraduate medical education. Status report and future directionsJ A Billings
Palliative Care Service, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston 02114 2698, USA
JAMA 278:733-8. 1997..To describe the status of palliative care education in the undergraduate medical curriculum and to offer recommendations for improvement...
- Nurturing humanism through teaching palliative careS Block
Department of Ambulatory Care and Prevention, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Acad Med 73:763-5. 1998....
- Care of the dying doctor: on the other end of the stethoscopeErik Fromme
Massachusetts General Hospital Palliative Care Service and the Harvard Medical School Center for Palliative Care and Oregon Health and Science University, Boston, MA 02114, USA
JAMA 290:2048-55. 2003..We suggest strategies for negotiating the patient-physician relationship when the patient is also a physician...
- Aggressiveness of care in a prospective cohort of patients with advanced NSCLCJennifer S Temel
Department of Hematology Oncology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Cancer 113:826-33. 2008..Optimal end of life care of patients with terminal cancer is poorly understood. In this study, the aggressiveness of care is described in a cohort of patients with newly diagnosed advanced nonsmall-cell lung cancer (NSCLC)...
- Symptom distress and quality of life in patients with advanced congestive heart failureCraig D Blinderman
Palliative Care Service, Department of Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
J Pain Symptom Manage 35:594-603. 2008..A focus on ameliorating prevalent physical symptoms and psychological distress, along with supportive measures that promote functional mobility, may lead to an improvement in the overall quality of life in this patient population...
- Phase II study: integrated palliative care in newly diagnosed advanced non-small-cell lung cancer patientsJennifer S Temel
Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Clin Oncol 25:2377-82. 2007..To assess the feasibility of early palliative care in the ambulatory setting in patients with newly diagnosed advanced non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC)...
- Spirituality training for palliative care fellowsLisa Marr
Department of Palliative Medicine, Department of Medicine, Medical College of Wisconsin, 9200 West Wisconsin Avenue, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
J Palliat Med 10:169-77. 2007..We surveyed palliative medicine fellowship directors in the United States to learn how they teach spirituality, who does the teaching, and what they teach...
- To hydrate or not to hydrate: is that the real question?Pedro E Huertas
Massachusetts General Hospital, Palliative Care Service, USA
J Support Oncol 2:483-5. 2004
- Survey of palliative medicine fellowship programs, 2003-2005J Andrew Billings
J Palliat Med 7:711-2. 2004
- Teaching and learning end-of-life care: evaluation of a faculty development program in palliative careAmy M Sullivan
Dana Farber Cancer Institute, 44 Binney Street, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Acad Med 80:657-68. 2005..To evaluate the effectiveness of the Program in Palliative Care Education and Practice (PCEP), an intensive faculty development program at Harvard Medical School...
- Learning from the dyingSusan D Block
Division of Psychosocial Oncology and Palliative Care, Dana Farber Cancer Institute and Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, USA
N Engl J Med 353:1313-5. 2005
- The Lake Bluff Forum for academic palliative medicineJ Andrew Billings
J Pain Symptom Manage 31:481. 2006
- Initial voluntary program standards for fellowship training in palliative medicineJ Andrew Billings
Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Palliat Med 5:23-33. 2002..An accreditation group modeled after an ACGME residency review committee will be formed to review and adopt the standards, then accredit programs voluntarily...
- Physician-nurse staffing on palliative care consultation servicesJ Andrew Billings
J Palliat Med 11:819-20. 2008
- Prevalence and structure of palliative care services in California hospitalsSteven Z Pantilat
Program in Medical Ethics, Division of General Internal Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of California San Francisco School of Medicine, 521 Parnassus Avenue, Suite C 126, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Arch Intern Med 163:1084-8. 2003..We sought to determine the prevalence of palliative care services in California hospitals...
- DignityJ Andrew Billings
J Palliat Med 11:138-9. 2008
- Changing perspectives on palliative careYoun Seon Choi
College of Medicine, Korea University, Seoul
Oncology (Williston Park) 16:515-22; discussion 522-7. 2002....
- Training of palliative medicine fellows: a report from the fieldSharon Carmody
Hennepin County Medical Center, Emergency Medicine Department, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55415, USA
J Palliat Med 8:1005-15. 2005..There is currently little data regarding the extent to which clinical, research, educational or administrative skills and competencies have been incorporated into fellowship training...
- A primer on training slots for graduate medical educationJ Andrew Billings
J Palliat Med 10:12-6. 2007
- Opioid antagonists: a review of their role in palliative care, focusing on use in opioid-related constipationYoun Seon Choi
College of Medicine, Korea University, Seoul, South Korea
J Pain Symptom Manage 24:71-90. 2002....
- Merging cultures: palliative care specialists in the medical intensive care unitJ Andrew Billings
Palliative Care Service, Massachusetts General Hospital and the Harvard Medical School Center for Palliative Care, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Crit Care Med 34:S388-93. 2006..Additional problems were noted but not well addressed, particularly routine communication with families and continuity of care for complex patients leaving the ICU...
- Palliative care. Clinical practice guidelines in oncologyMichael H Levy
Fox Chase Cancer Center
J Natl Compr Canc Netw 4:776-818. 2006
- Creating enduring change: demonstrating the long-term impact of a faculty development program in palliative careAmy M Sullivan
Dana Farber Cancer Institute and Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 01984, USA
J Gen Intern Med 21:907-14. 2006..Improved educational and evaluation methods are needed in continuing professional development programs...
- Proposed quality measures for palliative care in the critically ill: a consensus from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Critical Care WorkgroupRichard A Mularski
Center for Health Research, Kaiser Permanente Northwest, Portland, Oregon, USA
Crit Care Med 34:S404-11. 2006..The proposed measures are intended to stimulate further discussion, testing, and refinement for quality of care measurement and enhancement...
- PALLIATIVE CARE FELLOWSHIPJ Billings; Fiscal Year: 2004....