Affiliation: Loyola University Medical Center
- Long-Term Safety Outcomes in Patients with Hematological Malignancies Undergoing Autologous Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation Treated with Palifermin to Prevent Oral MucositisPatrick J Stiff
Cardinal Bernardin Cancer Center, Division of Hematology and Oncology, Department of Medicine, Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, Illinois Electronic address
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 22:164-9. 2016....
- A potential role for B cells in suppressed immune responses in cord blood transplant recipientsB C Beaudette-Zlatanova
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Stritch School of Medicine, Loyola University Chicago, Maywood, IL, USA
Bone Marrow Transplant 48:85-93. 2013..CD5(pos) B cells from assayed CB recipients expressed intracellular IL-10 early post transplant. Our data suggest that B cells, in addition to T cells, may have a role in impaired immune responses in CB transplant patients...
- Prevention of nausea and vomiting associated with stem cell transplant: results of a prospective, randomized trial of aprepitant used with highly emetogenic preparative regimensPatrick J Stiff
Bone Marrow Transplant Program, Department of Pharmacy, University Medical Center, Maywood, Illinois, USA
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 19:49-55.e1. 2013....
- Autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplants that utilize total body irradiation can safely be carried out entirely on an outpatient basisP Stiff
Bone Marrow Transplant Program, Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, IL 60153, USA
Bone Marrow Transplant 38:757-64. 2006..Patients undergoing severely mucotoxic regimens can be safely transplanted in an outpatient setting with a significant cost saving, with no increase in morbidity or mortality...
- Treatment with plerixafor in non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and multiple myeloma patients to increase the number of peripheral blood stem cells when given a mobilizing regimen of G-CSF: implications for the heavily pretreated patientPatrick Stiff
BMT Program, Loyola University Stritch School of Medicine, Maywood, Illinois, USA
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 15:249-56. 2009..Plerixafor and G-CSF increased circulating CD34 cells/microL and led to the adequate collection of stem cells for autotransplant in 96% of the patients. This combination may have particular value in heavily pretreated patients...
- Patients' understanding of disease status and treatment plan at initial hematopoietic stem cell transplantation consultationP J Stiff
Department of Medicine, Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, IL, USA
Bone Marrow Transplant 37:479-84. 2006....
- Transplanted CD34(+) cell dose is associated with long-term platelet count recovery following autologous peripheral blood stem cell transplant in patients with non-Hodgkin lymphoma or multiple myelomaPatrick J Stiff
Loyola University, Chicago, IL 60153, USA
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 17:1146-53. 2011..006). Our analyses confirm previous findings that transplanted CD34(+) cell dose may be associated with better long-term platelet recovery after ASCT...
- Mucositis: continuing progress for a continuing needPatrick J Stiff
Division of Hematology Oncology, Loyola University Medical Center, 2160 South First Avenue, Maywood, IL 60153, USA
J Support Oncol 5:47-62. 2007
- Palifermin reduces patient-reported mouth and throat soreness and improves patient functioning in the hematopoietic stem-cell transplantation settingPatrick J Stiff
Cardinal Bernardin Cancer Center, Maywood, IL 60153, USA
J Clin Oncol 24:5186-93. 2006....
- Reliability and validity of a patient self-administered daily questionnaire to assess impact of oral mucositis (OM) on pain and daily functioning in patients undergoing autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (HSCT)P J Stiff
Cardinal Bernardin Cancer Center, Loyola University, Maywood, IL 60153, USA
Bone Marrow Transplant 37:393-401. 2006..Changes in MTS scores were similar, but patients detected changes 1-3 days earlier than clinicians. In conclusion, the OMDQ is a feasible, reliable, valid, and responsive patient-reported measure of OM severity...
- Clinical and ultrasonic evaluation of spleen size during peripheral blood progenitor cell mobilization by filgrastim: results of an open-label trial in normal donorsPatrick J Stiff
Division of Hematology Oncology, Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, IL 60153, USA
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 15:827-34. 2009..We conclude that the increase in splenic volume during PBPC mobilization in donors was transient, and that filgrastim was well tolerated in this study. This trial was registered at www.ClinicalTrials.gov as NCT00115128...
- Randomized Phase II trial of two high-dose chemotherapy regimens with stem cell transplantation for the treatment of advanced ovarian cancer in first remission or chemosensitive relapse: a Southwest Oncology Group studyPatrick J Stiff
Loyola University Stritch School of Medicine, Maywood, IL 60153, USA
Gynecol Oncol 94:98-106. 2004....
- High-dose chemotherapy with blood or bone marrow transplants for rhabdomyosarcomaPatrick J Stiff
Loyola University Medical Center, 2160 South 1st Avenue, Maywood, IL 60153, USA
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 16:525-32. 2010..Even when performed after relapse for alveolar/undifferentiated histologies, long-term survivals were seen seemingly better than results with conventional therapies...
- Replicative response, immunophenotype, and functional activity of monocyte-derived versus CD34(+)-derived dendritic cells following exposure to various expansion and maturational stimuliB Chen
Department of Medicine, Cardinal Bernardin Cancer Center, Maywood, Illinois, 60153-5385, USA
Clin Immunol 98:280-92. 2001..We conclude that both cell lineages produce potent mature DC, permitting exploration of the optimal clinical strategy to trigger anti-tumor immune responses in patients with malignancies...
- Double-blind comparative trial of oral ondansetron versus oral granisetron versus IV ondansetron in the prevention of nausea and vomiting associated with highly emetogenic preparative regimens prior to stem cell transplantationM P Fox-Geiman
Department of Pharmacy, Nursing and Medicine, and the Bone Marrow Transplant Program, Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, Illinois 60154, USA
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 7:596-603. 2001..A cost analysis revealed significant differences among all arms (P = .0001, all comparisons). All 3 regimens had similar efficacy in this BMT population; oral ondansetron was the most cost-effective...
- Successful autologous peripheral blood stem cell transplantation in transformed follicular lymphoma previously treated with radioimmunotherapy (iodine (131)I tositumomab)J Cooney
University of Loyola Medical Center, 2160 South First Avenue, Maywood, IL 60153, USA
Bone Marrow Transplant 29:523-5. 2002..He remains in complete remission with normal blood counts 25 months post autograft...
- Feasibility of conditioning with thymoglobulin and reduced intensity TBI to reduce acute GVHD in recipients of allogeneic SCTA Toor
Bone Marrow Transplant Program, Department of Internal Medicine, Stritch School of Medicine, Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, IL, USA
Bone Marrow Transplant 42:723-31. 2008..We conclude that 10 mg/kg ATG and TBI allows engraftment with a low risk of acute GVHD; however, further dose optimization of ATG is required to achieve a balance between GVHD and disease relapse...
- A phase II trial evaluating the safety and effectiveness of the AastromReplicell system for augmentation of low-dose blood stem cell transplantationA L Pecora
Department of Medicine, Hackensack University Medical Center, Hackensack, NJ, USA
Bone Marrow Transplant 28:295-303. 2001..551, P = 0.004). Our results indicate that ex vivo expanded bone marrow is capable of facilitating engraftment when combined with low doses of mobilized blood derived CD34(+) cells...
- Posaconazole salvage therapy allows successful allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation in patients with refractory invasive mold infectionsK Mullane
Section of Infectious Diseases, Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, Illinois, USA
Transpl Infect Dis 9:89-96. 2007..The median duration of posaconazole treatment before HSCT was 5 months (range: 1.5-6 months). Posaconazole salvage therapy allowed successful allogeneic HSCT in 3 patients with refractory invasive mold infections...
- Mucositis associated with stem cell transplantation: current status and innovative approaches to managementP Stiff
Loyola University Medical Center, 2160 South First Avenue, Maywood, IL 60153, USA
Bone Marrow Transplant 27:S3-S11. 2001....
- A phase I/II study of galiximab (an anti-CD80 monoclonal antibody) in combination with rituximab for relapsed or refractory, follicular lymphomaJ P Leonard
Division of Hematology Oncology, Weill Medical College of Cornell University and NewYork Presbyterian Hospital, New York, NY 10021, USA
Ann Oncol 18:1216-23. 2007..A phase I/II study was conducted to evaluate galiximab in combination with a standard course of rituximab. Safety, pharmacokinetics, and efficacy were evaluated...
- A prospective investigation of cell dose in single-unit umbilical cord blood transplantation for adults with high-risk hematologic malignanciesU Sobol
Loyola University Medical Center, Cardinal Bernardin Cancer Center, Maywood, IL, USA
Bone Marrow Transplant 50:1519-25. 2015..CD34+ cell dose (⩾1.5 × 10(5)/kg) helps predict faster engraftment and can aid in graft selection. ..
- Activity of single agent temsirolimus (CCI-779) in non-mantle cell non-Hodgkin lymphoma subtypesS M Smith
University of Chicago, Chicago, IL University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX The University of Chicago, Chicago, IL Loyola University Medical School, Maywood, IL Oncology Care Associates, St Joseph, MI Joliet Oncology Hematology Associates, Ltd, Joliet, IL National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD
J Clin Oncol 26:8514. 2008..The success of MTI in mantle cell lymphoma is well-established, but there is limited data in other NHL subtypes...
- Second allografts for relapsed hematologic malignancies: feasibility of using a different donorJ E Duus
Bone Marrow Transplant Program, Department of Internal Medicine, Loyola University Medical Center, Stritch School of Medicine, Maywood, IL 60153, USA
Bone Marrow Transplant 35:261-4. 2005..There were no cases of transplant-related mortality. We conclude that a second allogeneic HSCT using a different donor is a viable option for selected patients relapsing after an allograft if the original donor is not available...
- Analysis of remobilization success in patients undergoing autologous stem cell transplants who fail an initial mobilization: risk factors, cytokine use and costS Boeve
BMT Program, Loyola University Medical Center, 2160 South First Avenue, Maywood, IL 60153, USA
Bone Marrow Transplant 33:997-1003. 2004..001). Most patients failing an initial mobilization benefit from a cytokine only remobilization. Lower cost G-CSF+GM-CSF is as effective as high-dose G-CSF...
- Retrospective utility of bronchoscopy after hematopoietic stem cell transplantC C Hofmeister
Division of Hematology, Department of Medicine, The Ohio State University, Arthur G James Cancer Hospital, B321 Starling Loving Hall, 320 West 10th Avenue, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Bone Marrow Transplant 38:693-8. 2006....
- Total body irradiation, etoposide, cyclophosphamide, and autologous peripheral blood stem-cell transplantation followed by randomization to therapy with interleukin-2 versus observation for patients with non-Hodgkin lymphoma: results of a phase 3 randomizJohn A Thompson
Puget Sound Oncology Consortium, Seattle, WA, USA
Blood 111:4048-54. 2008..Posttransplantation IL-2 given at this dose and schedule of administration had no significant effect on PFS or OS. This study is registered at www.clinicaltrials.gov as NCT00002649...
- Mucosal protection by cytokinesCraig C Hofmeister
Cardinal Bernardin Cancer Center, Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, IL 60153, USA
Curr Hematol Rep 4:446-53. 2005..Several other potentially effective agents are in clinical trials. After 40 years of painful mucositis, relief for patients finally is in sight...
- Utility of single versus tandem autotransplants for advanced testes/germ cell cancer: a center for international blood and marrow transplant research (CIBMTR) analysisHillard M Lazarus
University Hospitals of Cleveland, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 13:778-89. 2007..Patient selection bias for either transplant approach, however, may affect the results of this observational study; a randomized trial is needed to determine which approach, if either, is better...
- Economic impact of palifermin on the costs of hospitalization for autologous hematopoietic stem-cell transplant: analysis of phase 3 trial resultsLinda S Elting
Health Services Research, Department of Biostatistics, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030 4009, USA
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 13:806-13. 2007..In addition to its previously demonstrated clinical benefit, palifermin prophylaxis offers a favorable economic profile among patients with hematologic malignancies who receive total body irradiation and autologous stem cell support...
- BEAM allogeneic transplantation for patients with Hodgkin's disease who relapse after autologous transplantation is safe and effectiveJulian P Cooney
BMT Program, Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, Illinois, USA
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 9:177-82. 2003..A graft versus lymphoma effect appears to be a significant contributing factor in responding patients...
- Current treatment results of allogeneic bone marrow transplantation for acute myeloid and lymphoid leukemiaTulio E Rodriguez
Division of Hematology Oncology, Department of Medicine, Loyola University Stritch School of Medicine, Loyola University Chicago, 2160 South First Avenue, Maywood, IL 60153, USA
Curr Hematol Rep 2:295-301. 2003....
- The value of augmented preparative regimens combined with an autologous bone marrow transplant for the management of relapsed or refractory Hodgkin disease: a Southwest Oncology Group phase II trialPatrick J Stiff
Loyola University Stritch School of Medicine, Maywood, Illinois, USA
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 9:529-39. 2003..A poor-prognosis group was identified that should be treated with novel therapies...
- Favourable results with a single autologous stem cell transplant following conditioning with busulphan and cyclophosphamide in patients with multiple myelomaAmir A Toor
Bone Marrow Transplant Program, Cardinal Bernardin Cancer Center, Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, IL 60153, USA
Br J Haematol 124:769-76. 2004..Busulphan and cyclophosphamide is an effective and well-tolerated preparative regimen for ASCT that can be given to MM patients in the outpatient setting...
- Clinical utility of autopsy after hematopoietic stem cell transplantationCraig C Hofmeister
The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio 43210 1240, USA
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 13:26-30. 2007..Improvements in noninvasive tests for relapse or occult infections may further erode the role of autopsies in discovering missed diagnoses...
- Autologous stem cell transplantation for small cell lung cancerJ Douglas Rizzo
Statistical Center, Health Policy Institute, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee 53226, USA
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 8:273-80. 2002..Transplantation for patients with extensive disease does not appear to produce substantial benefit...
- Post-transplant air-leak syndromeTawee Tanvetyanon
Division of Hematology Oncology, Department of Medicine, Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine, Maywood, IL, USA
Br J Haematol 126:758. 2004
- Second allogeneic transplantation using a reduced-intensity preparative regimen for relapsed myelofibrosisTawee Tanvetyanon
Am J Hematol 77:204-5. 2004
- Alefacept in corticosteroid refractory graft versus host disease: early results indicate promising activityAmir A Toor
Bone Marrow Transplantation Program, Stritch School of Medicine, Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, IL, USA
J Dermatolog Treat 18:13-8. 2007..The pathological and immunohistochemical findings of GVHD also improved, validating our clinical impression. These preliminary findings indicate that alefacept may have beneficial activity in GVHD warranting further study...
- The challenges of oral mucositis and its therapyPatrick J Stiff
J Support Oncol 2:70-2. 2004
- Oral mucositis therapy comes of agePatrick J Stiff
J Support Oncol 3:73-5. 2005
- CARDINAL BERNARDIN CANCER CENTER, LOYOLA UNIVERSITYPatrick Stiff; Fiscal Year: 2002..At the completion of this grant, the Cardinal Bernardin Cancer Center plans to be positioned to successfully apply for a P-30 Cancer Center Support Grant. ..