Alison M Bell
Affiliation: Life University
- Future directions in behavioural syndromes researchAlison M Bell
Integrative Biology, University of Illinois, Urbana, 505 South Goodwin Avenue, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
Proc Biol Sci 274:755-61. 2007..I describe the strengths and weaknesses of these non-exclusive strategies, and then discuss the methodological and statistical issues raised by such studies...
- A test of maternal programming of offspring stress response to predation risk in threespine sticklebacksBrett C Mommer
Department of Animal Biology, School of Integrative Biology, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL, USA Electronic address
Physiol Behav 122:222-7. 2013....
- Evolution: skipping schoolAlison M Bell
Integrative Biology, University of Illinois, Urbana, 439 Morrill Hall, 505 S Goodwin Avenue, Urbana, IL 61801, USA Electronic address
Curr Biol 23:R873-5. 2013..A pair of recent papers dissects the genetic basis of schooling behavior, showing that genetic changes in sensory systems are involved when this social behavior is lost during evolution...
- Paternal care in a fish: epigenetics and fitness enhancing effects on offspring anxietyKatie E McGhee
School of Integrative Biology, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL 61801, USA Department of Zoology, University of Cambridge, Downing St, Cambridge CB2 3EJ, UK
Proc Biol Sci 281:20141146. 2014....
- Maternal experience with predation risk influences genome-wide embryonic gene expression in threespined sticklebacks (Gasterosteus aculeatus)Brett C Mommer
Department of Animal Biology, School of Integrative Biology, University of Illinois, Urbana, Illinois, United States of America
PLoS ONE 9:e98564. 2014..Consistent with this hypothesis, embryos of predator-exposed mothers were larger than embryos of control mothers. These findings point to some of the molecular mechanisms that might underlie maternal effects. ..
- Reciprocal behavioral plasticity and behavioral types during predator-prey interactionsKatie E McGhee
School of Integrative Biology, University of Illinois, Urbana, Illinois 61801
Am Nat 182:704-17. 2013....
- Competition avoidance drives individual differences in response to a changing food resource in sticklebacksKate L Laskowski
University of Illinois, School of Integrative Biology, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
Ecol Lett 16:746-53. 2013..By explicitly testing predictions of recent theoretical models, we provide evidence for the types of ecological conditions under which we would expect, and not expect, variation in behavioural plasticity to be favoured...
- Transcriptional regulation of brain gene expression in response to a territorial intrusionYibayiri O Sanogo
Integrative Biology, University of Illinois, Urbana Champaign, IL, USA
Proc Biol Sci 279:4929-38. 2012..Finally, we found a remarkably close association between gene expression and aggressive behaviour at the individual level. This study sheds light on the molecular mechanisms in the brain that underlie the response to social challenges...
- What can whole genome expression data tell us about the ecology and evolution of personality?Alison M Bell
Integrative Biology, University of Illinois, Urbana Champaign, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 365:4001-12. 2010..We suggest strategies for using the power of genomics to understand what maintains behavioural variation, to study the evolution of behavioural correlations and to compare personality traits across diverse organisms...
- Behavioral and respiratory responses to stressors in multiple populations of three-spined sticklebacks that differ in predation pressureAlison M Bell
Integrative Biology, University of Illinois, 505 S Goodwin Ave, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
J Comp Physiol B 180:211-20. 2010..These results are consistent with the growing body of evidence that individuals differ in a suite of physiological and behavioral mechanisms for coping with challenges in the environment...
- Exposure to predation generates personality in threespined sticklebacks (Gasterosteus aculeatus)Alison M Bell
School of Integrative Biology, University of Illinois, Urbana Champaign, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
Ecol Lett 10:828-34. 2007..The behavioural correlation was produced by both selection by predators and behavioural plasticity. These results support the hypothesis that certain correlations between behaviours might be adaptive in some environments...
- Evolutionary biology: animal personalitiesAlison M Bell
Nature 447:539-40. 2007
- Behavioral syndromes: an intergrative overiewAndrew Sih
Department of Environmental Science and Policy, University of California, Davis 95616, USA
Q Rev Biol 79:241-77. 2004..Overall, we suggest that behavioral syndromes could play a useful role as an integrative bridge between genetics, experience, neuroendocrine mechanisms, evolution, and ecology...
- An endocrine disrupter increases growth and risky behavior in threespined stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus)Alison M Bell
Center for Population Biology, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Horm Behav 45:108-14. 2004..The ecological approach taken in this work revealed heretofore unexamined effects of EDCs and has direct implications for the way we evaluate the impact of EDCs in the environment...