- Menu labeling regulations and calories purchased at chain restaurantsJames W Krieger
Public Health Department of Seattle and King County, Chronic Disease and Injury Prevention Section, 401 5th Avenue, Suite 900, Seattle, WA 98104, USA
Am J Prev Med 44:595-604. 2013..The federal menu labeling law will require chain restaurants to post caloric information on menus, but the impact of labeling is uncertain...
- Housing interventions and control of asthma-related indoor biologic agents: a review of the evidenceJames Krieger
Chronic Disease and Injury Prevention Section, Public Health Seattle and King County, Seattle, Washington 98104, USA
J Public Health Manag Pract 16:S11-20. 2010..The 3 interventions with sufficient evidence all applied multiple, integrated strategies. This evidence review shows that selected interventions that improve housing conditions will reduce morbidity from asthma and respiratory allergies...
- High point walking for health: creating built and social environments that support walking in a public housing communityJames Krieger
Chronic Disease and Injury Prevention Section, Public Health Seattle and King County, Chinook Building, Suite 900, 401 5th Ave, Seattle, WA 98104, USA
Am J Public Health 99:S593-9. 2009..We implemented and evaluated multiple interventions to increase walking activity at a multicultural public housing site...
- A randomized controlled trial of asthma self-management support comparing clinic-based nurses and in-home community health workers: the Seattle-King County Healthy Homes II ProjectJames Krieger
University of Washington School of Medicine and School of Public Health and Community Medicine, Seattle, WA 98104, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 163:141-9. 2009..To compare the marginal benefit of in-home asthma self-management support provided by community health workers (CHWs) with standard asthma education from clinic-based nurses...
- Using a participatory approach to provide assistance to community-based organizations: the Seattle Partners Community Research CenterAllen Cheadle
University of Washington, School of Public Health and Community Medicine, Seattle, USA
Health Educ Behav 29:383-94. 2002..The Discussion section draws from the CRC experience to examine the benefits and challenges of collaboration and the trade-off between capacity building and providing direct technical assistance in promoting long-term CBO viability...
- Nutrition-labeling regulation impacts on restaurant environmentsBrian E Saelens
Center for Child Health, Behavior, and Development, Seattle Children s Research Institute, Seattle, Washington 98145 5005, USA
Am J Prev Med 43:505-11. 2012..Recent attempts to improve the healthfulness of away-from-home eating include regulations requiring restaurants to post nutrition information. The impact of such regulations on restaurant environments is unknown...
- Be active together: supporting physical activity in public housing communities through women-only programsLuiza G Marinescu
Public Health Seattle and King County, USA
Prog Community Health Partnersh 7:57-66. 2013..In public housing communities, both built and social environments are key factors that impact residents' physical activity levels...
- Biomarkers of Insecticide Exposure and Asthma in Children: A National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) 1999-2008 AnalysisM E Perla
a Northwest Pediatric Environmental Health Specialty Unit, School of Public Health, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
Arch Environ Occup Health 70:309-22. 2015..Results support previous associations observed among children's DDE exposure and wheeze. Characterization of risk factors for pesticide exposure and disease recognition among Mexican Americans is needed...
- Written action plan use in inner-city children: is it independently associated with improved asthma outcomes?Jacob Sunshine
University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA 98195 6340, USA
Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 107:207-13. 2011..However the specific, independent effect of WAPs in improving outcomes remains unclear...
- The impact of a community-based chronic disease prevention initiative: evaluation findings from Steps to Health King CountyAllen Cheadle
University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
Health Educ Behav 38:222-30. 2011..Systems change initiatives within school districts and government agencies led to a greater institutional emphasis on health promotion and on partnership with communities to address health inequities...
- Small steps to health: building sustainable partnerships in pediatric obesity careMo Pomietto
Department of Clinical Nutrition, Seattle Children s Research Institute, Metropolitan Park West, 8th Floor, 1100 Olive Way, Suite 500, Mail Stop 8 1, Seattle, WA 98101, USA
Pediatrics 123:S308-16. 2009....
- Population-based comparison of biomarker concentrations for chemicals of concern among Latino-American and non-Hispanic white childrenM E Perla
Department of Health Services, School of Public Health, University of Washington, Box 357236, Seattle, WA, 98195, USA
J Immigr Minor Health 17:802-19. 2015..These results, coupled with additional research on exposure sources may contribute to refinement of environmental health promotion programs for the fast-growing Latino-American population...
- Community Health Worker Home Visits for Medicaid-Enrolled Children With Asthma: Effects on Asthma Outcomes and CostsJonathan D Campbell
Jonathan D Campbell is with the Pharmaceutical Outcomes Research Graduate Program, Center for Pharmaceutical Outcomes Research, University of Colorado Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Anschutz Medical Campus, Department of Clinical Pharmacy, Aurora Marissa Brooks is with Service Employees International Union NW Health Benefits Trust, Seattle, WA Patrick Hosokawa is with Colorado Health Outcomes, University of Colorado, Aurora June Robinson, Lin Song, and James Krieger were with Public Health Seattle and King County, Seattle, WA
Am J Public Health 105:2366-72. 2015..We sought to estimate the return on investment of a streamlined version of an evidence-based community health worker (CHW) asthma home visit program...
- Community health worker home visits for adults with uncontrolled asthma: the HomeBASE Trial randomized clinical trialJames Krieger
Chronic Disease and Injury Prevention Section, Public Health Seattle and King County, Seattle, Washington2School of Public Health, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington3School of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington
JAMA Intern Med 175:109-17. 2015..Asthma is often poorly controlled. Home visitation by community health workers (CHWs) to improve control among adults has not been adequately evaluated...
- Using community-based participatory research to address social determinants of health: lessons learned from Seattle Partners for Healthy CommunitiesJames Krieger
Public Health Seattle and King County, WA 98104, USA
Health Educ Behav 29:361-82. 2002..Implications for researchers using a community-based participatory research approach and public health practitioners seeking to engage communities in addressing social determinants of health are presented...