Bonnie D Kerker
- Racial and ethnic disparities in medical history taking: detecting substance use among low-income pregnant womenBonnie D Kerker
New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, New York, NY 10013, USA
Ethn Dis 16:28-34. 2006..To determine whether providers' medical history-taking of substance use varies with their patients' race or ethnicity...
- A population-based assessment of the health of homeless families in New York City, 2001-2003Bonnie D Kerker
Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, New York, NY 10013, USA
Am J Public Health 101:546-53. 2011..We compared estimated population-based health outcomes for New York City (NYC) homeless families with NYC residents overall and in low-income neighborhoods...
- Mental health disorders among individuals with mental retardation: challenges to accurate prevalence estimatesBonnie D Kerker
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT, USA
Public Health Rep 119:409-17. 2004....
- Health care access and utilization among women who have sex with women: sexual behavior and identityBonnie D Kerker
NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, Division of Epidemiology, Bureau of Epidemiology Services, New York, NY 10013, USA
J Urban Health 83:970-9. 2006....
- Adult tobacco use levels after intensive tobacco control measures: New York City, 2002-2003Thomas R Frieden
New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, New York 10013, USA
Am J Public Health 95:1016-23. 2005..We sought to determine the impact of comprehensive tobacco control measures in New York City...
- Use of pharmacy data to evaluate smoking regulations' impact on sales of nicotine replacement therapies in New York CityKristina B Metzger
Bureau of Epidemiology Services, New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, 125 Worth St, Room 315, CN 6, New York, NY 10013, USA
Am J Public Health 95:1050-5. 2005..To assess the impact of these policies on smoking cessation in New York City, we examined over-the-counter sales of nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) products...
- Obesity and diabetes in New York City, 2002 and 2004Gretchen Van Wye
New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, Division of Health Promotion and Disease Prevention, 158 East 115th Street, Room 300, New York, NY 10029, USA
Prev Chronic Dis 5:A48. 2008..We undertook this study to characterize trends in obesity and diagnosed diabetes from 2002 to 2004 among white, black, and Hispanic adult residents of New York City...
- Racial and ethnic differences in depression by partner status and the presence of children in the householdAviva G Schwarz
Bureau of Maternal, Infant, and Reproductive Health, New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, Long Island City, NY 1101 4132, USA
Womens Health Issues 22:e553-61. 2012..The goal of this study is to analyze the relationships among partner status, having children, and depression among women of White, Black, and Hispanic race/ethnicity...
- Contributions of a local health examination survey to the surveillance of chronic and infectious diseases in New York CityR Charon Gwynn
Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University, 722 W 168th St, 13th Floor, New York, NY 10032, USA
Am J Public Health 99:152-9. 2009..We sought to evaluate the contribution of the New York City Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NYC-HANES) to local public health surveillance...
- Victimization and health risk factors among weapon-carrying youthCatherine Stayton
Injury Surveillance and Prevention Program, NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, Bureau of Environmental Disease Prevention, New York, NY, USA
Am J Health Behav 35:654-63. 2011..To compare health risks of 2 subgroups of weapon carriers: victimized and nonvictimized youth...
- Smoking practices in New York City: the use of a population-based survey to guide policy-making and programmingFarzad Mostashari
Bureau of Epidemiology Services, New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, New York, NY 10013, USA
J Urban Health 82:58-70. 2005..In conclusion, large, local surveys can provide essential data to effectively advocate for, plan, implement, and evaluate a comprehensive tobacco control program...
- Patients' characteristics and providers' attitudes: predictors of screening pregnant women for illicit substance useBonnie D Kerker
New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, New York, New York 10013, USA
Child Abuse Negl 28:209-23. 2004..This study's aim was to determine how patients' and providers' characteristics affect hospital providers' decisions to screen pregnant and postpartum women for illicit substances...
- Fatalities associated with the 2009 H1N1 influenza A virus in New York cityEllen H Lee
Bureau of Communicable Disease, Division of Disease Control, New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, New York, USA
Clin Infect Dis 50:1498-504. 2010....
- Increased screening colonoscopy rates and reduced racial disparities in the New York Citywide campaign: an urban modelCatherine A Richards
Department of Epidemiology, Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University, New York, New York, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 106:1880-6. 2011..We evaluated colonoscopy trends among adult New Yorkers aged 50 years and older between 2003 and 2007, the first five years of this campaign...
- Risks of drug-related death, suicide, and homicide during the immediate post-release period among people released from New York City jails, 2001-2005Sungwoo Lim
Bureau of Epidemiology Services, Division of Epidemiology, New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, Queens, NY, USA
Am J Epidemiol 175:519-26. 2012..These results suggest that jail- and community-based interventions are needed to reduce the excess mortality risk among formerly incarcerated people...
- Differences in younger, middle, and older children admitted to child psychiatric inpatient servicesBronce J Rice
Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520 8034, USA
Child Psychiatry Hum Dev 32:241-61. 2002..Implications of the findings for future research and practice are discussed...
- Prevalence, awareness, treatment, and control of high LDL cholesterol in New York City, 2004Ushma D Upadhyay
Bureau of Epidemiology Services, New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, 125 Worth St, Room 315, CN No 6, New York, NY 10013, USA
Prev Chronic Dis 7:A61. 2010..Substantial disparities in cholesterol control exist nationally, but it is unclear how these patterns vary locally...
- Profiling risk of fear of an intimate partner among men and womenE Carolyn Olson
Division of Epidemiology, NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, 125 Worth Street, Room 315, CN 6, New York, NY 10013, USA
Prev Med 47:559-64. 2008..Fear of a partner, a component of intimate partner violence (IPV), can be used in clinical IPV assessment. This study examines correlates of fear in a population-based, urban sample to inform a gender-specific health care response to IPV...
- Mental health needs and treatment of foster youth: barriers and opportunitiesBonnie D Kerker
Bureau of Epidemiology, New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, New York, NY, USA
Am J Orthopsychiatry 76:138-47. 2006..Barriers to needed care are explored, practice and policy implications of lack of care are discussed, and alternative, evidence-based treatment options for foster youth are examined and proposed...
- Vision and oral health needs of individuals with intellectual disabilityPamela L Owens
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD 20850, USA
Ment Retard Dev Disabil Res Rev 12:28-40. 2006....