James S Kaufman
- Randomized controlled trial of clopidogrel plus aspirin to prevent hemodialysis access graft thrombosisJames S Kaufman
Department of Veterans Affairs Boston Healthcare System and Department of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02130, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 14:2313-21. 2003..22 to 1.26; P = 0.14). In the hemodialysis population, therapy with aspirin and clopidogrel was associated with a significantly increased risk of bleeding and probably would not result in a reduced frequency of graft thrombosis...
- Effect of clopidogrel on early failure of arteriovenous fistulas for hemodialysis: a randomized controlled trialLaura M Dember
Boston University, School of Medicine, Renal Section, EBRC 504, 650 Albany St, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
JAMA 299:2164-71. 2008..Small, inconclusive trials have suggested that antiplatelet agents may reduce thrombosis of new fistulas...
- Randomized controlled trial of prophylactic repair of hemodialysis arteriovenous graft stenosisLaura M Dember
Renal Sections of Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Kidney Int 66:390-8. 2004..The present study is a randomized trial comparing prophylactic repair of AV graft stenosis with repair at the time of thrombosis...
- Urine biomarkers of kidney injury among adolescents in Nicaragua, a region affected by an epidemic of chronic kidney disease of unknown aetiologyOriana Ramírez-Rubio
Preventive Medicine and Public Health Department, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, Madrid, Spain Department of Epidemiology, Boston University School of Public Health, Boston, MA, USA
Nephrol Dial Transplant 31:424-32. 2016..Because individuals are frequently diagnosed with CKD in early adulthood, we measured biomarkers of kidney injury among adolescents in different regions of Nicaragua to assess whether kidney damage might be initiated during childhood...
- Predialysis nephrology care and costs in elderly patients initiating dialysisKevin T Stroupe
Center for Management of Complex Chronic Care, Hines VA Hospital, Hines, IL 60141 5151, USA
Med Care 49:248-56. 2011..Access to nephrology care before initiation of chronic dialysis is associated with improved outcomes after initiation. Less is known about the effect of predialysis nephrology care on healthcare costs and utilization...
- Current guidelines for using angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors and angiotensin II-receptor antagonists in chronic kidney disease: is the evidence base relevant to older adults?ANN M O'HARE
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, University of Washington and Veterans Affairs Puget Sound Health Care System, Seattle, Washington 98108, USA
Ann Intern Med 150:717-24. 2009....
- Age affects outcomes in chronic kidney diseaseANN M O'HARE
Department of Medicine, University of Washington, VA Puget Sound Healthcare System, Division of Nephrology, Building 100 Room 5B113, 1660 S Columbian Way, Seattle, WA 98108, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 18:2758-65. 2007..73 m(2). In conclusion, age is a major effect modifier among patients with an eGFR of <60 ml/min per 1.73 m(2), challenging us to move beyond a uniform stage-based approach to managing CKD...
- Adherence to guidelines for ESRD anemia managementDenise M Hynes
Midwest Center for Health Services and Policy Research, Cooperative Studies Program Coordinating Center, Edward Hines Jr Veterans Affairs Hospital, Hines, IL 60141, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 47:455-61. 2006..Because reimbursement for erythropoietin differs for federal versus private-sector dialysis centers, we hypothesized different use patterns by facility type...
- The Central American epidemic of CKDDaniel E Weiner
Division of Nephrology, Tufts Medical Center and Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02111, USA
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 8:504-11. 2013....
- Homocysteine lowering and cognition in CKD: the Veterans Affairs homocysteine studyChristopher B Brady
Geriatric Research, Education, and Clinical Center, Veterans Affairs Boston Healthcare System, Boston, MA 02130, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 54:440-9. 2009..Whether treatment with high-dose B vitamins to decrease high tHcy levels improves cognition in persons with kidney disease is unknown...
- Chronic kidney disease in Nicaragua: a qualitative analysis of semi-structured interviews with physicians and pharmacistsOriana Ramírez-Rubio
Boston University School of Public Health, Boston, MA, USA
BMC Public Health 13:350. 2013..This study examines health professionals´ perceptions regarding etiology of these conditions and their treatment approaches, including use of potentially nephrotoxic medications...
- Value of static venous pressure for predicting arteriovenous graft thrombosisLaura M Dember
Renal Sections, Boston University School of Medicine and VA Boston Healthcare System, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Kidney Int 61:1899-904. 2002..However, it is not known how well static venous pressure elevation predicts subsequent AV graft thrombosis...
- Chronic kidney disease associated with environmental toxins and exposuresPeter Soderland
Renal Section, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA, USA
Adv Chronic Kidney Dis 17:254-64. 2010..The effects of these agents may be modulated by genetic susceptibility and other comorbid conditions and may lead to the development of acute and CKD. In this article, we present environmental factors that are associated with CKD...
- Design of the Dialysis Access Consortium (DAC) Clopidogrel Prevention of Early AV Fistula Thrombosis TrialLaura M Dember
Renal Section, Boston University School of Medicine, MA 02118 USA
Clin Trials 2:413-22. 2005..The autogenous arteriovenous fistula created by direct connection of native artery to vein is the recommended vascular access for hemodialysis. However, it fails frequently due to clotting after surgery...
- Design of the Dialysis Access Consortium (DAC) Aggrenox Prevention Of Access Stenosis TrialBradley S Dixon
Nephrology Division, Veterans Affairs Medical Center and University of Iowa School of Medicine, Iowa City 52242 1081, USA
Clin Trials 2:400-12. 2005..The Dialysis Access Consortium (DAC) Aggrenox Prevention of Access Stenosis Trial tests the hypothesis that Aggrenox (containing dipyridamole and aspirin) can prevent stenosis and prolong survival of arteriovenous grafts...
- Effect of homocysteine lowering on mortality and vascular disease in advanced chronic kidney disease and end-stage renal disease: a randomized controlled trialRex L Jamison
Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care Systems and Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94304, USA
JAMA 298:1163-70. 2007..Folic acid and B vitamins decrease homocysteine levels in this population but whether they lower mortality is unknown...
- Potential cost savings of erythropoietin administration in end-stage renal diseaseDenise M Hynes
Department of Veterans Affairs Cooperative Studies Program Coordinating Center, Hines, Edward G Hines, JR VA Hospital, Illinois 60141, USA
Am J Med 112:169-75. 2002..Since epoetin is expensive, optimizing the therapeutic effect of epoetin using a strategy that includes subcutaneous administration could lead to substantial cost savings...