Alice R Pressman
Affiliation: Kaiser Permanente
- Should we reconsider the routine use of placebo controls in clinical research?Andrew L Avins
Northern California Kaiser Permanente Division of Research, 2000 Broadway, Oakland, CA 94612, USA
Trials 13:44. 2012..An unrecognized consequence of this preference is that clinicians are more limited in their ability to provide the benefits of the non-specific healing effects of placebos in clinical practice...
- Adherence to placebo and mortality in the Beta Blocker Evaluation of Survival Trial (BEST)Alice Pressman
Division of Research, Kaiser Permanente Northern California Oakland, CA 94612, United States
Contemp Clin Trials 33:492-8. 2012..We explored this phenomenon by reanalyzing data from the placebo arm of the Beta Blocker Evaluation of Survival Trial (BEST), a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of bucindolol and mortality...
- A comparison of two worlds: How does Bayes hold up to the status quo for the analysis of clinical trials?Alice R Pressman
Kaiser Permanente Division of Research, Oakland, CA 94612, USA
Contemp Clin Trials 32:561-8. 2011..There is a paucity of literature comparing Bayesian analytic techniques with traditional approaches for analyzing clinical trials using real trial data...
- Methods for assessing fracture risk prediction models: experience with FRAX in a large integrated health care delivery systemAlice R Pressman
Division of Research, Kaiser Permanente Northern California, Oakland, CA, USA
J Clin Densitom 14:407-15. 2011..01). Two versions of this risk tool have similar AUROCs, but alternative assessments indicate that addition of BMD improves performance. Multiple methods should be used to evaluate risk tool performance with less reliance on AUROC alone...
- Placebo adherence and mortality in the Heart and Estrogen/Progestin Replacement StudyAmy M Padula
School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, CA, USA
Am J Med 125:804-10. 2012..Secondary aims included assessment of the association between placebo adherence and cause-specific morbidity and mortality...
- Fracture risk tool validation in an integrated healthcare delivery systemJoan C Lo
Division of Research, Kaiser Permanente Northern California, Oakland, CA 94612, USA
Am J Manag Care 17:188-94. 2011..To evaluate the utility of the Fracture Risk Calculator (FRC, Foundation for Osteoporosis Research and Education) for predicting 10-year hip fracture risk within a "real world" population...
- High-dose corticosteroid exposure and osteoporosis intervention in adultsMaggie Che
Department of Medicine, Kaiser Permanente Medical Center, Vacaville, California 95688 9430, USA
Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 97:497-501. 2006..High-dose corticosteroid exposure is associated with increased risk of bone loss and osteoporotic fractures...
- Epidemiology and adverse cardiovascular risk profile of diagnosed polycystic ovary syndromeJoan C Lo
Division of Research, Kaiser Permanente of Northern California, 2000 Broadway Street, 2nd Floor, Oakland, CA 94612 2304, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 91:1357-63. 2006..Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is associated with menstrual and reproductive abnormalities, insulin resistance, and obesity...
- Patterns of infliximab use among Crohn's disease patients in a community settingAlice R Pressman
Division of Research, Kaiser Permanente Northern California, Oakland, California 94612, USA
Inflamm Bowel Dis 14:1265-72. 2008..We sought to understand predictors of initiation and discontinuation of infliximab in the community-based setting of Kaiser Permanente, Northern California, which provides integrated care to its members...
- Limb fractures in elderly men as indicators of subsequent fracture riskBruce Ettinger
Division of Research, Kaiser Permanente Medical Care Program, Oakland, Calif 94611, USA
Arch Intern Med 163:2741-7. 2003..Whether limb fracture in elderly men predicts future fracture is unknown...