Affiliation: Kaiser Permanente
- Intra-hospital transfers to a higher level of care: contribution to total hospital and intensive care unit (ICU) mortality and length of stay (LOS)Gabriel J Escobar
Hospital Operations Research, Division of Research, Oakland, California, USA
J Hosp Med 6:74-80. 2011..However, these findings have been based on single-center studies or studies that employ ICU admissions as the denominator...
- Development and validation of an electronic medical record-based alert score for detection of inpatient deterioration outside the ICUPatricia Kipnis
Kaiser Foundation Health Plan, Inc, 1950 Franklin St, 17th Floor, Oakland, CA 94612, United States Kaiser Permanente Northern California, Division of Research, 2000 Broadway Avenue, 032 R01, Oakland, CA 94612, United States Electronic address
J Biomed Inform 64:10-19. 2016..With increasing availability of electronic medical records (EMRs), automated early warning scores (EWSs) are becoming feasible...
- Manual and automated methods for identifying potentially preventable readmissions: a comparison in a large healthcare systemAna H Jackson
Care Management Institute, Kaiser Permanente, Oakland, California, USA
BMC Med Inform Decis Mak 14:28. 2014..Identification of potentially preventable readmissions is typically accomplished through manual review or automated classification. Little is known about the concordance of these methods...
- Frequency, duration and predictors of bronchiolitis episodes of care among infants ≥32 weeks gestation in a large integrated healthcare system: a retrospective cohort studyValerie J Flaherman
Department of Pediatrics, University of California, 3333 California St, Box 0503, San Francisco, CA 94143 0503, USA
BMC Health Serv Res 12:144. 2012..No previous studies have used an episode-of-care analysis to describe the frequency, duration, and predictors of bronchiolitis episodes of care during the first two years...
- Effect of choice of estimation method on inter-hospital mortality rate comparisonsPatricia Kipnis
Kaiser Foundation Health Plan, Management, Information and Analysis, Oakland, CA 94612, USA
Med Care 48:458-65. 2010..To evaluate and compare the use of 6 different methods for calculating expected mortality rates and standardized mortality ratios (SMRs) when performing interhospital mortality rate comparisons...
- Risk-adjusting hospital inpatient mortality using automated inpatient, outpatient, and laboratory databasesGabriel J Escobar
Kaiser Permanente Division of Research, Systems Research Initiative and Perinatal Research Unit, Oakland, California 94612, USA
Med Care 46:232-9. 2008..To develop a risk-adjustment methodology that maximizes the use of automated physiology and diagnosis data from the time period preceding hospitalization...
- Persistent recurring wheezing in the fifth year of life after laboratory-confirmed, medically attended respiratory syncytial virus infection in infancyGabriel J Escobar
Division of Research, Perinatal Research Unit, Kaiser Permanente Medical Care Program, Oakland, CA, USA
BMC Pediatr 13:97. 2013..Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) infection in infancy is associated with subsequent recurrent wheezing...
- Risk-adjusting hospital mortality using a comprehensive electronic record in an integrated health care delivery systemGabriel J Escobar
Division of Research, Kaiser Permanente Northern California, Oakland, CA 94612, USA
Med Care 51:446-53. 2013....
- An electronic Simplified Acute Physiology Score-based risk adjustment score for critical illness in an integrated healthcare systemVincent Liu
Kaiser Permanente Division of Research and Systems Research Initiative, Oakland, CA, USA
Crit Care Med 41:41-8. 2013..We sought to create an automated ICU risk adjustment score, based on the Simplified Acute Physiology Score 3, using only data available within the electronic medical record (Kaiser Permanente HealthConnect)...
- Early detection of impending physiologic deterioration among patients who are not in intensive care: development of predictive models using data from an automated electronic medical recordGabriel J Escobar
Hospital Operations Research, Division of Research, Kaiser Permanente Medical Care Program, Oakland, California 94612, USA
J Hosp Med 7:388-95. 2012..Ward patients who experience unplanned transfer to intensive care units have excess morbidity and mortality...
- The association between sepsis and potential medical injury among hospitalized patientsVincent Liu
Division of Research and Systems Research Initiative, Kaiser Permanente, Oakland, CA, USA
Chest 142:606-13. 2012..Patient safety remains a national priority, but the role of disease-specific characteristics in safety is not well characterized...
- Evaluation Following Staggered Implementation of the "Rethinking Critical Care" ICU Care Bundle in a Multicenter Community SettingVincent Liu
1Division of Research, Kaiser Permanente, Oakland, CA 2The Permanente Medical Group, Kaiser Permanente, Oakland, CA 3Kaiser Foundation Hospitals and Health Plan, Kaiser Permanente, Oakland, CA 4Decision Support, Kaiser Permanente, Oakland, CA
Crit Care Med 44:460-7. 2016..To evaluate process metrics and outcomes after implementation of the "Rethinking Critical Care" ICU care bundle in a community setting...
- Piloting electronic medical record-based early detection of inpatient deterioration in community hospitalsGabriel J Escobar
Division of Research, Kaiser Permanente Northern California, Oakland, California
J Hosp Med 11:S18-S24. 2016..The pilot has been successful and deployment to the remaining hospitals has begun. Journal of Hospital Medicine 2016;11:S18-S24. © 2016 Society of Hospital Medicine...
- Accuracy of hospital standardized mortality rates: effects of model calibrationPatricia Kipnis
Division of Research Kaiser Foundation Health Plan, Management, Information and Analysis Hospital Operations Research, Kaiser Permanente Northern California, Oakland, CA
Med Care 52:378-84. 2014..However, the relationship between model fit and the accuracy of hospital comparisons is not well characterized...
- Data that drive: Closing the loop in the learning hospital systemVincent X Liu
Division of Research, Kaiser Permanente, Oakland, California
J Hosp Med 11:S11-S17. 2016..We then describe how a hospital-wide data-driven approach to inpatient care can facilitate improvements in the quality of hospital care. Journal of Hospital Medicine 2016;11:S11-S17. © 2016 Society of Hospital Medicine...
- Risk adjusting community-acquired pneumonia hospital outcomes using automated databasesGabriel J Escobar
Kaiser Permanente Medical Care Program, 2000 Broadway, 2nd Fl, Oakland, CA 94612, USA
Am J Manag Care 14:158-66. 2008....
- Recurrent wheezing in the third year of life among children born at 32 weeks' gestation or later: relationship to laboratory-confirmed, medically attended infection with respiratory syncytial virus during the first year of lifeGabriel J Escobar
Division of Research, Systems Research Initiative and Perinatal Research Unit, Kaiser Permanente Medical Care Program, Oakland, California 94612, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 164:915-22. 2010..To quantify the relationship between recurrent wheezing (RW) in the third year of life and respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) infection, prematurity, and neonatal oxygen exposure...