Jack F Hollis
Affiliation: Kaiser Permanente
- The effectiveness and cost effectiveness of telephone counselling and the nicotine patch in a state tobacco quitlineJack F Hollis
Center for Health Research, Kaiser Permanente Northwest, Portland, OR 97227, USA
Tob Control 16:i53-9. 2007..We examined the effectiveness and cost effectiveness of offering callers single session versus multisession counselling, with or without free nicotine patches...
- Weight loss during the intensive intervention phase of the weight-loss maintenance trialJack F Hollis
Center for Health Research, Kaiser Permanente Northwest, Portland, Oregon 97227, USA
Am J Prev Med 35:118-26. 2008..This paper describes methods and results for the initial 6-month weight-loss program (Phase I)...
- Teen reach: outcomes from a randomized, controlled trial of a tobacco reduction program for teens seen in primary medical careJack F Hollis
Center for Health Research, Kaiser Permanente, Portland, Oregon 97227, USA
Pediatrics 115:981-9. 2005..To test the long-term efficacy of brief counseling plus a computer-based tobacco intervention for teens being seen for routine medical care...
- Design and implementation of an interactive website to support long-term maintenance of weight lossVictor J Stevens
Kaiser Permanente, Center for Health Research, Portland, OR 97227, USA
J Med Internet Res 10:e1. 2008..Internet-based weight loss maintenance programs offer considerable potential for meeting this need. Careful design processes are required to maximize adherence and minimize attrition...
- Associations of internet website use with weight change in a long-term weight loss maintenance programKristine L Funk
Kaiser Permanente, Center for Health Research, Portland, USA
J Med Internet Res 12:e29. 2010..There is limited information about patterns of website use and specific components of an interactive website that might help promote maintenance of weight loss...
- Provider feedback to improve 5A's tobacco cessation in primary care: a cluster randomized clinical trialCharles J Bentz
Providence St Vincent Hospital and Medical Center, Portland, OR 97225, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 9:341-9. 2007..EHR-generated provider feedback improved documentation of assistance with tobacco cessation. Connecting physician offices to a state-level quitline was feasible and well accepted...
- Development and implementation cost analysis of telephone- and Internet-based interventions for the maintenance of weight lossRichard T Meenan
Kaiser Permanente Center for Health Research, Portland, Oregon 97227, USA
Int J Technol Assess Health Care 25:400-10. 2009..This study describes implementation costs of both interventions as well as IT development costs...
- Implementing a tobacco assisted referral program in dental practicesSally J Little
Center for Health Research, Kaiser Permanente Northwest, 3800 N Interstate Avenue, Portland, OR 97227 1110, USA
J Public Health Dent 69:149-55. 2009..The objectives of this study are to design and implement a system-level tobacco-control intervention in a large prepaid dental group practice and assess effects on staff performance measures and patient satisfaction...
- The feasibility of connecting physician offices to a state-level tobacco quit lineCharles J Bentz
Providence St Vincent Hospital and Medical Center, Portland, Oregon 97225, USA
Am J Prev Med 30:31-7. 2006..The wide dissemination of region- and state-level quit lines has been a major goal for public health agencies. However, connecting patients in primary care settings to state-level quit lines has not been evaluated...
- Steps to soulful living (steps): a weight loss program for African-American womenNjeri Karanja
Kaiser Permanente Center for Health Research, Portland, Oregon 97227 1098, USA
Ethn Dis 12:363-71. 2002..Steps to Soulful Living (Steps) was a pilot study to test the effects of a culturally adapted weight loss program on weight loss in African-American women...
- Design of the Prevention of Adult Caries Study (PACS): a randomized clinical trial assessing the effect of a chlorhexidine dental coating for the prevention of adult cariesWilliam M Vollmer
Center for Health Research, 3800 N, Interstate Blvd, Portland, Oregon 97227, USA
BMC Oral Health 10:23. 2010..Although a number of treatments are currently in use for caries prevention in adults, evidence for their efficacy and effectiveness is limited...
- Natural language processing in the electronic medical record: assessing clinician adherence to tobacco treatment guidelinesBrian Hazlehurst
Center for Health Research, Kaiser Permanente, Portland, Oregon 97227, USA
Am J Prev Med 29:434-9. 2005..Comprehensively assessing care quality with electronic medical records (EMRs) is not currently possible because much data reside in clinicians' free-text notes...
- Depressed mood and smoking experimentation among preteensMichael R Polen
Center for Health Research, Kaiser Permanente Northwest, Portland, OR 97227 1110, USA
Psychol Addict Behav 18:194-8. 2004..Depressed mood among preteens and parents appeared to be more strongly related to children's smoking behaviors than to their intentions to smoke...
- The problem is getting us to stop. What teens say about smoking cessationNancy Vuckovic
Kaiser Permanente Center for Health Research, Portland, OR 97227, USA
Prev Med 37:209-18. 2003..Qualitative studies, designed to identify and understand preferences of intervention participants and barriers to participation, offer opportunities to customize programs and improve their reach and effectiveness...
- Developing and testing new smoking measures for the Health Plan Employer Data and Information SetLori Pbert
Division of Preventive and Behavioral Medicine, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester 01655, USA
Med Care 41:550-9. 2003..To develop and test items for the Health Plan Employee Data and Information Set (HEDIS) that assess delivery of the full range of provider-delivered tobacco interventions...
- Comparison of strategies for sustaining weight loss: the weight loss maintenance randomized controlled trialLaura P Svetkey
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Duke Hypertension Center and Sarah W Stedman Nutrition and Metabolism Center, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
JAMA 299:1139-48. 2008..Behavioral weight loss interventions achieve short-term success, but re-gain is common...
- Tobacco-cessation services and patient satisfaction in nine nonprofit HMOsVirginia P Quinn
Kaiser Permanente Southern California, Research and Evaluation Department, Pasadena, California 91188, USA
Am J Prev Med 29:77-84. 2005..There is little information on the extent of compliance with the guideline's treatment model described by the "5A's" (Ask, Advise, Assess, Assist, Arrange)...
- Tobacco-control policies in 11 leading managed care organizations: progress and challengesNancy A Rigotti
Tobacco Research and Treatment Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Harvard Pilgrim Health Care, Boston 02114, USA
Eff Clin Pract 5:130-6. 2002..Although evidence-based national guidelines for tobacco-dependence treatment have been available since 1996, translating these guidelines into clinical practice is challenging...
- EFFICACY AND COST OF STATE QUITLINE POLICIESJack Hollis; Fiscal Year: 2003..e., Oregon Quitline), and society. Cost per quit and cost per year quality-adjusted years of life saved will be calculated from each of these perspectives. ..
- Implementing Tobacco Control in Dental PracticeJack Hollis; Fiscal Year: 2006..The findings will be generalizable because the practice style and visit flow for staff is similar to other practice settings, and telephone-based quitline services are widely available through state-run quitlines. ..
- WEIGHT LOSS MAINTENANCE TRIALJack Hollis; Fiscal Year: 2007..The purpose of this proposal is to develop and test two such interventions, which, if effective, should complement ongoing efforts to stem the obesity epidemic and ultimately prevent obesity-related CVD. ..
- Telephone and Web-based Teen Tobacco Cessation in HMOsJack Hollis; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable]..