Hunter J Young
Affiliation: Johns Hopkins University
- Blood viscosity and hematocrit as risk factors for type 2 diabetes mellitus: the atherosclerosis risk in communities (ARIC) studyLeonardo J Tamariz
Department of Medicine, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, Florida, USA
Am J Epidemiol 168:1153-60. 2008..63, 95% confidence interval: 1.49, 1.79) were over 60% more likely to develop diabetes. Therefore, elevated blood viscosity and hematocrit deserve attention as emerging risk factors for insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes mellitus...
- Association of blood lactate with type 2 diabetes: the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Carotid MRI StudyStephen O Crawford
Department of Epidemiology, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Int J Epidemiol 39:1647-55. 2010..Accumulating evidence implicates insufficient oxidative capacity in the development of type 2 diabetes. This notion has not been well tested in large, population-based studies...
- Lactate and risk of incident diabetes in a case-cohort of the atherosclerosis risk in communities (ARIC) studyStephen P Juraschek
The Johns Hopkins University, School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
PLoS ONE 8:e55113. 2013..Whether decreased oxidative capacity is a cause or consequence of diabetes is unknown. Our purpose is to evaluate whether lactate, a marker of oxidative capacity, is associated with incident diabetes...
- Chronic inflammation role in the obesity-diabetes association: a case-cohort studyVivian C Luft
Graduate Studies Program in Epidemiology, School of Medicine, Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Diabetol Metab Syndr 5:31. 2013..Chronic inflammation is related to both obesity and diabetes. Our aim was to investigate to what extent this inflammation contributes to the association between obesity and diabetes...
- Comparing self-reported ethnicity to genetic background measures in the context of the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA)Jasmin Divers
Department of Biostatistical Sciences, Wake Forest University School of Medicine Winston Salem, North Carolina 27157, USA
BMC Genet 12:28. 2011..We compare the agreement between SRE and genetic based measures of ancestry (GBMA), and conduct simulation studies based on observed MESA data to evaluate the performance of each measure under various conditions...
- Blood pressure and decline in kidney function: findings from the Systolic Hypertension in the Elderly Program (SHEP)J Hunter Young
Department of Medicine, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and The Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 13:2776-82. 2002..Therefore, systolic BP is a strong, independent predictor of a decline in kidney function among older persons with isolated systolic hypertension...
- The coming epidemic: hypertension in rural Kyrgyzstan, Central AsiaJ H Young
Department of Medicine, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore MD 21205, USA
J Hum Hypertens 19:145-8. 2005..In addition, the rise in blood pressure with age was striking, surpassing the experience in Western countries. This epidemic of hypertension may herald a coming epidemic of cardiovascular disease in Central Asia...
- Differential susceptibility to hypertension is due to selection during the out-of-Africa expansionJ Hunter Young
The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America
PLoS Genet 1:e82. 2005..This differential susceptibility is likely due to our history of adaptation to climate...
- Evolution of blood pressure regulation in humansJ Hunter Young
Department of Medicine, The Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, 2024 Monument Street, Room 2 625, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Curr Hypertens Rep 9:13-8. 2007..Worldwide populations may differ in susceptibility to the new exposures, however, such that those from hot, arid environments are more susceptible to hypertension than populations from cold environments...
- HYPERTENSION AMONG AFRICAN-AMERICANSJEFFERY YOUNG; Fiscal Year: 2006..This research will build a foundation for a successful career as an independent investigator. ..