Wietse A Tol
Affiliation: Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
- Psychosocial interventions for children exposed to traumatic events in low- and middle-income countries: study protocol of an individual patient data meta-analysisMarianna Purgato
World Health Organization Collaborating Centre for Research and Training in Mental Health and Service Evaluation, Section of Psychiatry, University of Verona, Policlinico G, B, Rossi, Piazzale L, A, Scuro 10, 37134 Verona, Italy
Syst Rev 3:34. 2014....
- School-based mental health intervention for children in war-affected Burundi: a cluster randomized trialWietse A Tol
Department of Mental Health, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 624 N Broadway, Hampton House R863, Baltimore, MD 21205 1996, USA
BMC Med 12:56. 2014..We evaluated the effectiveness of a school-based intervention aimed at reducing symptoms of posttraumatic stress disorder, depression, and anxiety (treatment aim); and improving a sense of hope and functioning (preventive aim)...
- Reintegration of child soldiers in Burundi: a tracer studyMark J D Jordans
Department of Research and Development, HealthNet TPO, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
BMC Public Health 12:905. 2012..Substantial attention and resources are aimed at the reintegration of child soldiers, yet rigorous evaluations are rare...
- Is legal status impacting outcomes of group therapy for posttraumatic stress disorder with male asylum seekers and refugees from Iran and Afghanistan?Boris Drožđek
Psychotrauma Centrum Zuid Nederland Reinier van Arkel groep, Den Bosch, The Netherlands
BMC Psychiatry 13:148. 2013..The aim of this study was to examine whether legal status and other resettlement stressors influence outcomes of a trauma-focused group PTSD treatment within a day-treatment setting with asylum seekers and refugees...
- Annual Research Review: Resilience and mental health in children and adolescents living in areas of armed conflict--a systematic review of findings in low- and middle-income countriesWietse A Tol
Department of Mental Health, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD, USA
J Child Psychol Psychiatry 54:445-60. 2013..Knowledge on resilience may assist in developing interventions aimed at improving positive outcomes or reducing negative outcomes, termed promotive or protective interventions...
- Pharmacotherapy for post-traumatic stress disorder: systematic review and meta-analysisMathew Hoskins
Mathew Hoskins, MRCPsych, Jennifer Pearce, Bsc, Andrew Bethell, Bsc, Liliya Dankova, Bsc, Cardiff University, Cardiff, UK Corrado Barbui, MD, Department of Public Health and Community Medicine, Section of Psychiatry, University of Verona, Verona, Italy Wietse A Tol, PhD, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, USA Mark van Ommeren, PhD, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland Joop de Jong, MD, PhD, Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam, The Netherlands Soraya Seedat, MD, Stellenbosch University, Stellenbosch, South Africa Hanhui Chen, MD, Shanghai Mental Health Centre, Shanghai Jiaotong University, Shanghai, China Jonathan I Bisson, DM, Cardiff University, UK
Br J Psychiatry 206:93-100. 2015..Pharmacological treatment is widely used for post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) despite questions over its efficacy...
- Challenges for the implementation of World Health Organization guidelines for acute stress, PTSD, and bereavement: a qualitative study in UgandaJeremy C Kane
Department of Mental Health, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 624 North Broadway, Baltimore, MD, 21205, USA
Implement Sci 11:36. 2016..The current qualitative study aimed to assess perspectives on the feasibility and acceptability of the new guidelines in four clinics that provide mental health services in post-conflict northern Uganda...
- Mental, neurological, and substance use problems among refugees in primary health care: analysis of the Health Information System in 90 refugee campsJeremy C Kane
Department of Mental Health, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 624 North Broadway, Room 894, Baltimore, MD, 21205, USA
BMC Med 12:228. 2014....
- World Health organization guidelines for management of acute stress, PTSD, and bereavement: key challenges on the road aheadWietse A Tol
Department of Mental Health, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America
PLoS Med 11:e1001769. 2014..Wietse Tol and colleagues discuss some of the key challenges for implementation of new WHO guidelines for stress-related mental health disorders in low- and middle-income countries. Please see later in the article for the Editors' Summary. ..
- Understanding resilience in armed conflict: social resources and mental health of children in BurundiBrian J Hall
Macau SAR, People s Republic of China Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Department of Mental Health, 624 N Broadway, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA Electronic address
Soc Sci Med 114:121-8. 2014..Interventions that improve community relations in war-affected communities may alter the trajectories of resource loss and gain with conflict-affected children. ..