D J Grab
Affiliation: Johns Hopkins University
- Early invasion of brain parenchyma by African trypanosomesUte Frevert
Division of Medical Parasitology, Department of Microbiology, New York University School of Medicine, New York, New York, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e43913. 2012..Whether individual trypanosomes can act alone or require the interaction from a quorum of parasites remains to be shown. The significance of these findings for disease development is now testable...
- Membrane active chelators as novel anti-African trypanosome and anti-malarial drugsDennis J Grab
Department of Pathology, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Parasitol Int 62:461-3. 2013..While the exact mechanism of action of MACs against intracellular malaria and extracellular African trypanosome parasites has yet to be determined, their potential as antiparasitic agents warrants further investigation...
- Human brain microvascular endothelial cell traversal by Borrelia burgdorferi requires calcium signalingD J Grab
Department of Pediatrics, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Clin Microbiol Infect 15:422-6. 2009..The data suggest a role for calcium signaling in CNS spirochete invasion through endothelial cell barriers...
- Protease activated receptor signaling is required for African trypanosome traversal of human brain microvascular endothelial cellsDennis J Grab
Department of Pediatrics, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 3:e479. 2009....
- Using detergent to enhance detection sensitivity of African trypanosomes in human CSF and blood by loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP)Dennis J Grab
Department of Pathology, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 5:e1249. 2011..e. 1 per µL or 10(3) per mL. We hypothesized that clinical sensitivities that mimic analytical limits based on parasite DNA could be approached or even obtained by simply adding detergent to the samples prior to LAMP assay...
- A role for peripheral blood fibrocytes in Lyme disease?D J Grab
Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Maryland, Baltimore 21287, USA
Med Hypotheses 59:1-10. 2002....
- Anaplasma phagocytophilum-infected neutrophils enhance transmigration of Borrelia burgdorferi across the human blood brain barrier in vitroE Nyarko
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Pediatrics, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Int J Parasitol 36:601-5. 2006..hy926 cells in the presence of A. phagocytophilum-infected neutrophils than with uninfected neutrophils without affecting endothelial cell integrity. Such a mechanism may contribute to increased blood and tissue spirochete loads...