Thomas E Finucane
Affiliation: Johns Hopkins University
- Association of funding and findings of pharmaceutical research at a meeting of a medical professional societyThomas E Finucane
Division of Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology, Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21224, USA
Am J Med 117:842-5. 2004..To evaluate the association between funding and findings of pharmaceutical research presented at an annual meeting of a medical professional society...
- Palliative care in the ambulatory geriatric practiceThomas E Finucane
Division of Gerontology and Geriatric Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Beacham Ambulatory Care Clinic, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, 5505 Hopkins Bayview Circle, John R Burton Pavilion, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA Electronic address
Clin Geriatr Med 31:193-206. 2015..In patients with sharply limited life expectancy, the risk/benefit equation tilts easily toward narcotic use. In frail elders working to remain independent, the calculus may be quite different. ..
- "Tight control" in geriatrics: the emperor wears a thongThomas E Finucane
School of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21224, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 60:1571-5. 2012..Although no benefit has been shown in elderly adults, some harms are clear, and others are likely...
- Physicians' attitudes about artificial feeding in older patients with severe cognitive impairment in Japan: a qualitative studyKaoruko Aita
Department of Social Gerontology, School of Health Sciences and Nursing, The University of Tokyo, 7 3 1 Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 0033, Japan
BMC Geriatr 7:22. 2007..The objective of this study was to identify and analyze factors related to the decision to provide ANH through percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy (PEG) in older Japanese adults with severe cognitive impairment...
- Should cholinesterase inhibitors be used to treat Alzheimer's disease?Thomas E Finucane
Division of Geriatric Medicine at Johns Hopkins, The Johns Hopkins Bayview Care Circle, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Nat Clin Pract Neurol 2:118-9. 2006
- Tube feeding in dementia: how incentives undermine health care quality and patient safetyThomas E Finucane
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
J Am Med Dir Assoc 8:205-8. 2007..Realigning incentives in these ways could, we believe, improve the quality of care, quality of life, and safety of these vulnerable individuals, likely with reduced costs of care...
- When the mind goes ineptThomas E Finucane
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, Geriatric Center, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 61:1312-3. 2006
- Care of patients nearing death: another viewThomas E Finucane
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, 5505 Hopkins Bayview Circle, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 50:551-3. 2002..A person whose near future necessarily contains all this will often need a trusted, unhurried companion, acting with gentle advocacy and humility. This paper offers perspective and suggestions to such companions/advocates...
- Advance care planning by or on behalf of peritoneal dialysis patients in long-term careJohn E Anderson
Division of Renal Medicine, Department of Surgery, and Division of Geriatric Medicine, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 48:122-7. 2006..Advance care planning (ACP) is recommended for dialysis patients, especially those living in long-term-care facilities. Factors influencing ACP and the effect of plans on outcome are incompletely studied...
- Planning for death but not serious future illness: qualitative study of housebound elderly patientsJoseph A Carrese
Phoebe R Berman Bioethics Institute, Johns Hopkins University, and Division of General Internal Medicine, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, 4940 Eastern Avenue, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
BMJ 325:125. 2002..To understand how elderly patients think about and approach future illness and the end of life...
- A tool to strengthen the older patient-companion partnership in primary care: results from a pilot studyJennifer L Wolff
Department of Health Policy and Management, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland Department of Health, Behavior, and Society, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland Department of Mental Health, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland Division of Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology and Department of Psychiatry, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland
J Am Geriatr Soc 62:312-9. 2014..To determine the acceptability of a pre-consultation checklist for older adults who attend medical visits with an unpaid companion and to evaluate its effects on visit communication...
- The unknown profession: a geriatricianJean Y Campbell
Division of Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology, School of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 61:447-9. 2013..After all, if people do not know what a geriatrician is, how can they support the growth of geriatrics or seek care from us?..
- Gizmo idolatryBruce Leff
Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21224, USA
JAMA 299:1830-2. 2008
- Nutrition and involuntary weight loss: a pilot study of an educational intervention for nursing home surveyorsJoan C Chang
The Johns Hopkins University Schools of Medicine, Division of Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology, Baltimore, MD 21239, USA
J Am Med Dir Assoc 8:110-4. 2007..To describe the knowledge and attitudes of nursing home (NH) surveyors before and after a brief educational intervention related to nutrition and involuntary weight loss in nursing home residents...
- Another data/rhetoric mismatch on donepezilThomas E Finucane
J Am Geriatr Soc 53:1831; author reply 1831-3. 2005
- Memantine for patients with Alzheimer diseaseThomas E Finucane
JAMA 291:1695; author reply 1695. 2004
- Another advertisement for donepezilThomas E Finucane
J Am Geriatr Soc 52:843; author reply 845-6. 2004
- Getting donepezil into the nursing homeThomas E Finucane
J Am Geriatr Soc 51:133-4; author reply 134. 2003
- More promotional rhetoric in research: the Maryland Assisted Living StudyThomas E Finucane
J Am Geriatr Soc 56:185; author reply 1185-6. 2008
- Frail older adults and palliative careThomas E Finucane
JAMA 297:1193-4; author reply 1194-5. 2007
- The promotion of gabapentinThomas E Finucane
Ann Intern Med 146:312-3; author reply 313-4. 2007
- Yes, industry influence is excessiveAmit A Shah
Section of Geriatric Medicine, University of Texas Southwestern, Dallas TX, USA
Int Psychogeriatr 19:1004-10; discussion 1014-20. 2007
- NICE on dementia: Omitting donepezil is hardly a hardshipThomas E Finucane
BMJ 335:954. 2007
- Results, rhetoric, and randomized trials: the case of donepezilJohn R Gilstad
Division of Internal Medicine, United States Naval Hospital Yokosuka, Yokosuka, Japan
J Am Geriatr Soc 56:1556-62. 2008..Data in the trials are highly consistent. This observation generates the hypothesis that rhetoric in vendor-supported published RCTs may promote vendors' products...
- Attempting resuscitation in nursing homes: cargo cult or resurrections?Thomas E Finucane
J Am Med Dir Assoc 7:399-400. 2006
- Delirium at the end of lifeThomas E Finucane
Ann Intern Med 137:295; author reply 295. 2002
- The AGS' fondness for celecoxibThomas E Finucane
J Am Geriatr Soc 50:1602; author reply 1602-3. 2002
- Cholinesterase inhibitors for Alzheimer's diseaseThomas E Finucane
Lancet 360:1332; author reply 1332-3. 2002
- Cholinesterase inhibitors for Alzheimer diseaseThomas E Finucane
JAMA 289:2359; author reply 2360-1. 2003
- Pressure ulcers: guidelines and dataThomas E Finucane
J Am Geriatr Soc 52:164; author reply 164. 2004
- Alzheimer disease: current concepts and emerging diagnostic and therapeutic strategiesThomas E Finucane
Ann Intern Med 140:71. 2004
- Advance directives, due process, and medical futilityThomas E Finucane
Ann Intern Med 140:403; author reply 404. 2004
- Memories of loved ones about care at the end of lifeCarlos O Weiss
JAMA 291:1445-6; author reply 1446. 2004
- Decision-making during grave illness: how to show respect for the personThomas E Finucane
J Am Med Dir Assoc 5:278-9. 2004
- Drug therapy in Alzheimer's diseaseThomas E Finucane
N Engl J Med 351:1911-3; author reply 1911-3. 2004
- In response to Business and ResearchThomas E Finucane
Am J Med 118:801. 2005
- Advertising the new hypnoticsThomas E Finucane
J Am Geriatr Soc 54:170; author reply 170-2. 2006
- "Quality," nutrition, and pressure ulcersThomas E Finucane
Arch Intern Med 162:100. 2002