Affiliation: Johns Hopkins University
- The role of the microbiology laboratory in antimicrobial stewardship programsEdina Avdic
Department of Pharmacy, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Osler 425, 600 North Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA Electronic address
Infect Dis Clin North Am 28:215-35. 2014..This article reviews rapid diagnostics, the use of biomarkers, and antibiogram development to antimicrobial stewardship activities and the subsequent impact on patient outcomes...
- Impact of an antimicrobial stewardship intervention on shortening the duration of therapy for community-acquired pneumoniaEdina Avdic
Department of Pharmacy, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21287 5425, USA
Clin Infect Dis 54:1581-7. 2012....
- Management and control strategies for community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureusEdina Avdic
Antibiotic Management Program, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Department of Pharmacy, Osler 425, 600 North Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Expert Opin Pharmacother 9:1463-79. 2008....
- Use of PNA FISH for blood cultures growing Gram-positive cocci in chains without a concomitant antibiotic stewardship intervention does not improve time to appropriate antibiotic therapySara E Cosgrove
Department of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Md Electronic address
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 86:86-92. 2016..Our results suggest that in the absence of guidance from an antibiotic stewardship program, the clinical benefits of rapid diagnostic microbiological tools may be reduced. ..
- The Use of a Combination Antibiogram to Assist with the Selection of Appropriate Antimicrobial Therapy for Carbapenemase-Producing Enterobacteriaceae InfectionsAlice J Hsu
1The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Department of Pharmacy, Baltimore, Maryland
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 36:1458-60. 2015....
- Sphingomonas paucimobilis bloodstream infections associated with contaminated intravenous fentanylLisa L Maragakis
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Hospital Epidemiology and Infection Control, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 15:12-8. 2009..These pharmacies should adopt more stringent quality-control measures, including prerelease product testing, when compounding and distributing large quantities of sterile preparations...
- Sustained Impact of an Antibiotic Stewardship Intervention for Community-Acquired PneumoniaDavid X Li
1Division of Infectious Diseases, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 37:1243-6. 2016..We report that improvements in antibiotic use due to a syndrome-focused intervention for community-acquired pneumonia were sustained 3 years later without additional intervention. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2016;1-4. ..
- Risk Factors for Resistance to β-Lactam/β-Lactamase Inhibitors and Ertapenem in Bacteroides BacteremiaJanessa M Smith
Department of Pharmacy, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 59:5049-51. 2015..The duration of exposure to βL/βLIs (odds ratio [OR], 1.25; 95% confidence interval [CI], 1.08 to 2.31) was the only independent risk factor for resistance. ..
- Ventilator-associated pneumonia: overdiagnosis and treatment are common in medical and surgical intensive care unitsVeronique Nussenblatt
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 35:278-84. 2014..We sought to quantify and characterize unjustified antimicrobial use for VAP and identify risk factors for continuation of antibiotics in patients without VAP after 3 days...
- Antimicrobial prescribing practices in response to different Clostridium difficile diagnostic methodologiesEmily R M Sydnor
Division of Infectious Diseases, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 32:1133-6. 2011..In addition, a significant proportion of patients with confirmed CDI were not treated according to recommended guidelines...
- Carbapenem therapy is associated with improved survival compared with piperacillin-tazobactam for patients with extended-spectrum β-lactamase bacteremiaPranita D Tamma
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Infectious Diseases, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland
Clin Infect Dis 60:1319-25. 2015..We compared 14-day mortality of PTZ vs carbapenems as empiric therapy in a cohort of patients with ESBL bacteremia who all received definitive therapy with a carbapenem...
- What is the role of antimicrobial stewardship in improving outcomes of patients with CAP?Veronique Nussenblatt
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Infect Dis Clin North Am 27:211-28. 2013..This review summarizes interventions that may be promoted by antimicrobial stewardship programs to improve outcomes for patients with CAP...