R James Brenner
Affiliation: John Wayne Cancer Institute
- Communication errors in radiology: a liability cost analysisR James Brenner
Eisenberg Keefer Breast Center, John Wayne Cancer Institute, Saint Johns Health Center, Tower Saint Johns Imaging, Santa Monica, California 90404, USA
J Am Coll Radiol 2:428-31. 2005..We evaluated the economic effect on radiologists involved in litigation of failures in communication of results...
- Intraoperative loss of core biopsy clips: clinical implicationsKristine Calhoun
Joyce Eisenberg Keefer Breast Center, John Wayne Cancer Institute at St John s Health Center, Santa Monica, CA, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 190:W196-200. 2008..The purpose of this study was to report the occurrence of intraoperative loss of metallic marking clips placed during image-guided biopsy and to hypothesize the likely mechanism of this clinical problem...
- The malpractice liability crisisR James Brenner
Eisenberg Keefer Breast Center, John Wayne Cancer Institute, Tower Saint Johns Imaging, Saint Johns Health Center, Santa Monica, CA 90404, USA
J Am Coll Radiol 1:18-22. 2004..A survey of different states' problems and common issues should assist the reader in understanding the nature of the crisis and proposed solutions...
- Impact of micrometastases in the sentinel node of patients with invasive breast cancerNora M Hansen
John Wayne Cancer Institute, Santa Monica, CA 90404, USA
J Clin Oncol 27:4679-84. 2009..This study is based on the new sixth edition of the American Joint Committee on Cancer (AJCC) staging criteria...
- Percutaneous core needle biopsy of radial scars of the breast: when is excision necessary?R James Brenner
Tower St John s Imaging, Joyce Eisenberg Keefer Breast Center, John Wayne Cancer Institute, St John s Hospital and Health Center, 1328 22nd St, Santa Monica, CA 90404, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 179:1179-84. 2002..This study was conducted to evaluate the outcome of cases of radial scar diagnosed by percutaneous core needle biopsy...
- Breast cancer evaluation: medical legal issuesR James Brenner
Eisenberg Keefer Breast Center, John Wayne Cancer Institute, Saint Johns Health Center, Santa Monica, CA 90404, USA
Breast J 10:6-9. 2004..An understanding of basic legal concepts as they apply to medical practice should provide health care providers a perspective from which to apply their skills and avoid unnecessary legal exposure...
- Screening-detected breast cancer in a man with BRCA2 mutation: case reportR James Brenner
Eisenberg Keefer Breast Center, John Wayne Cancer Institute, Saint Johns Health Center, 1328 22nd St, Santa Monica, CA 90404, USA
Radiology 230:553-5. 2004..The authors discuss the clinical implications of this approach to detecting male breast cancer...
- Computer-assisted detection in clinical practice: medical legal considerationsR James Brenner
Breast Imaging Section, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94115 1667, USA
Semin Roentgenol 42:280-6. 2007
- The more eyes, the better to see? From double to quadruple reading of screening mammogramsJoann G Elmore
J Natl Cancer Inst 99:1141-3. 2007
- The malpractice liability crisis, part 2: moving toward workable solutionsJohn J Smith
Med Tel International, Department of Radiology, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Am Coll Radiol 1:249-54. 2004..Whatever reform mechanism or combination of mechanisms is pursued should represent an improvement on today's existing tort malpractice system...
- Analysis of 172 subtle findings on prior normal mammograms in women with breast cancer detected at follow-up screeningDebra M Ikeda
Department of Radiology, Stanford University Medical Center, Rm S 068A, 300 Pasteur Dr, Stanford, CA 94305 5105, USA
Radiology 226:494-503. 2003..To retrospectively review nonspecific findings on prior screening mammograms to determine what features were most often deemed normal or benign despite the development of breast cancer in the same location detected at follow-up screening...
- Computer-aided detection as evidence in the courtroom: potential implications of an appellate court's rulingR James Brenner
Department of Radiology Breast Imaging, University of California at San Francisco, P O Box 1667, San Francisco, CA 94143 1667, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 186:48-51. 2006..As with any new technology, its impact on determinations of standards of clinical practice is an evolving one that is often defined by its acceptability not only in medical forums but also as defined by courts of law...
- Medical-legal issues associated with breast fine needle aspiration biopsyR James Brenner
Department of Radiology, UCSF Mount Zion Hospital, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94115 1667, USA
Clin Lab Med 25:777-85, vii. 2005..The claims review process is then discussed. The meaning of misdiagnosis, including overdiagnosis and delay of diagnosis, is discussed in terms of legal harm and expert review...
- Computer-aided detection output on 172 subtle findings on normal mammograms previously obtained in women with breast cancer detected at follow-up screening mammographyDebra M Ikeda
Department of Radiology, Stanford University Medical Center, Room S 068A, Rte 1, 300 Pasteur Dr, Stanford, CA 94305 5105, USA
Radiology 230:811-9. 2004..To evaluate, by using a computer-aided detection (CAD) program, the nonspecific findings on normal screening mammograms obtained in women in whom breast cancer was later detected at follow-up screening mammography...
- MBI: M(I)BI agonistes or a new chapter?R James Brenner
Breast J 13:1-2. 2007
- National trends and practices in breast MRILawrence W Bassett
Department of Radiology, University of California, Los Angeles, 200 UCLA Medical Plaza, Rm 165 47, Box 956952, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 191:332-9. 2008..The objective of our study was to report on the current practices of radiologists involved in the performance and interpretation of breast MRI in the United States...
- Improving quality outcomes in a single-payer system: lessons learned from the UK National Health Service Breast Screening ProgrammeMatthew G Wallis
Cambridge Breast Unit, Adeenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge, United Kingdom
J Am Coll Radiol 5:737-43. 2008..A review of selected aspects of the program should serve as a template for consideration of how the deliberate coordination of clinical care can be improved under such circumstances...
- Needle localization of breast lesions: localizing dataR James Brenner
AJR Am J Roentgenol 179:1643; author reply 1644. 2002
- Radiologist characteristics associated with interpretive performance of diagnostic mammographyDiana L Miglioretti
Group Health Center for Health Studies, Group Health Cooperative, 1730 Minor Ave, Ste 1600, Seattle, WA 98101, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 99:1854-63. 2007..Extensive variability has been noted in the interpretive performance of screening mammography; however, less is known about variability in diagnostic mammography performance...
- Alternative breast-imaging approachesR James Brenner
Breast Imaging Section, University of California, UCSF Mt Zion Hospital, Radiology H2804, 1600 Divisadero Street, San Francisco, CA 94115 1667, USA
Radiol Clin North Am 45:907-23, viii. 2007..Other techniques, including exploitation of additional components of the electromagnetic spectrum, have provided novel concepts that may ripen into clinical use...
- The expert witness: understanding the rationaleR James Brenner
University of California, San Francisco, UCSF Mt Zion Hospital, Radiology H2804, 1600 Divisadero Street, San Francisco, CA 94115 1667, USA
J Am Coll Radiol 4:612-6. 2007..Certain types of restrictions and adverse consequences for misstatements exist but are subordinated to the trial process in most circumstances, a process that varies among different jurisdictions...
- Mammography with breast cushionsSuzanne L Dibble
Institute for Health and Aging, University of California, San Francisco, California, USA
Womens Health Issues 15:55-63. 2005..We conducted a randomized clinical trial to determine the impact on pain and image quality when breast cushions were used to pad the surfaces of the mammography equipment during film-screen mammography...
- American College Of Radiology/Society of Breast Imaging curriculum for resident and fellow education in breast imagingEdward A Sickles
University of California, San Francisco, Medical Center, Department of Radiology, San Francisco, CA 94143 1667, USA
J Am Coll Radiol 3:879-84. 2006..Radiologists already in practice also may find the curriculum useful in outlining the material they need to know to remain up to date in the practice of breast imaging...
- Prior mammograms: how old is old?R James Brenner
AJR Am J Roentgenol 181:594-5; author reply 595. 2003
- Prevalence of rupture in inamed silicone breast implantsPer Hedén
Department of Plastic Surgery, Akademikliniken Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Plast Reconstr Surg 118:303-8; discussion 309-12. 2006..The authors' study was designed to acquire long-term rupture data specific to Inamed's third-generation silicone breast implants using magnetic resonance imaging technology...
- To err is human, to correct divine: the emergence of technology-based communication systemsR James Brenner
University of California, San Francisco, Mt Zion Medical Center, San Francisco, CA 94115 1667, USA
J Am Coll Radiol 3:340-5. 2006..An enterprise approach to this challenge, including commercially available systems, offers a potentially cost-effective solution that addresses both risk management and quality improvement goals...