- Acetazolamide improves central sleep apnea in heart failure: a double-blind, prospective studyShahrokh Javaheri
Pulmonary Section 111F, VA Medical Center, 3200 Vine Street, Cincinnati, OH 45220, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 173:234-7. 2006..Acetazolamide is a mild diuretic and a respiratory stimulant. It is used to treat periodic breathing at high altitude...
- Heart failure and sleep apnea: emphasis on practical therapeutic optionsShahrokh Javaheri
Sleep Disorders Laboratory, Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, OH 45220, USA
Clin Chest Med 24:207-22. 2003..Large-scale, carefully executed therapeutic studies are needed to determine if treatment of sleep-related breathing disorders changes the natural history of left ventricular failure...
- Prevalence of obstructive sleep apnoea and periodic limb movement in 45 subjects with heart transplantationShahrokh Javaheri
Sleep Disorders Laboratory, Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Divisions of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, and Cardiology, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, Ohio 45220, USA
Eur Heart J 25:260-6. 2004..Case reports have shown development of obstructive sleep apnoea in cardiac transplantation recipients. The present study represents the first systematic evaluation of sleep disorders after cardiac transplantation...
- Hypocapnia is not a predictor of central sleep apnea in patients with cirrhosisShahrokh Javaheri
Emeritus Professor of Medicine, Pulmonary Section 111F, VA Medical Center, 3200 Vine Street, Cincinnati, OH 45220, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 171:908-11. 2005..We conclude that, in contrast to SHF, presence of hypocapnia does not predict CSA in cirrhosis...
- Sleep apnea testing and outcomes in a large cohort of Medicare beneficiaries with newly diagnosed heart failureShahrokh Javaheri
Sleepcare Diagnostics, Cincinnati, OH 45040, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 183:539-46. 2011..Previous studies have demonstrated a high prevalence of sleep apnea (SA) in patients with chronic heart failure (HF), which is associated with higher rates of morbidity, mortality, and health care use...
- The prevalence and natural history of complex sleep apneaShahrokh Javaheri
Sleepcare Diagnostics, Christ Hospital, Cincinnati, OH 45040, USA
J Clin Sleep Med 5:205-11. 2009..Central sleep apnea (CSA) may occasionally occur in patients with obstructive sleep apnea during titration with a continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) device...
- Association of smoking, sleep apnea, and plasma alkalosis with nocturnal ventricular arrhythmias in men with systolic heart failureShahrokh Javaheri
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, OH, USA
Chest 141:1449-56. 2012..We incorporated a large number of known pathophysiologic triggers to identify potential targets for therapy to reduce the persistently high incidence of sudden death in this population despite contemporary treatment...
- Central sleep apnea, right ventricular dysfunction, and low diastolic blood pressure are predictors of mortality in systolic heart failureShahrokh Javaheri
Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Cincinnati, Ohio 45220, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 49:2028-34. 2007..The purpose of this study was to determine whether central sleep apnea (CSA) contributes to mortality in patients with heart failure (HF)...
- Sleep disorders in systolic heart failure: a prospective study of 100 male patients. The final reportShahrokh Javaheri
Sleep Disorders Laboratory, Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, and Department of Medicine, University of Cincinnati, College of Medicine, Cincinnati, OH 45040, USA
Int J Cardiol 106:21-8. 2006..Heart failure is a highly prevalent disorder. The main aims of this study were to determine the prevalence, consequences and markers of sleep apnea and the periodic limb movements (PLMS) in heart failure...
- Resolution of papilledema associated with OSA treatmentShahrokh Javaheri
Sleepcare Diagnostics, Cincinnati, OH, USA
J Clin Sleep Med 7:399-400. 2011..She was treated with continuous positive airway pressure, and within a few weeks her papilledema and vision improved. This case report is consistent with association of OSA with papilledema but does not prove causality...
- The performance of two automatic servo-ventilation devices in the treatment of central sleep apneaShahrokh Javaheri
University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Medical Director Sleepcare Diagnostics, Cincinnati, OH 45040, USA
Sleep 34:1693-8. 2011..Our primary aim was to compare the performance of the advanced servo-ventilator (BiPAP autoSV Advanced) with conventional servo-ventilator (BiPAP autoSV) in treating central sleep apnea (CSA)...
- Sleep apnea is linked to heart failure, but does treatment improve outcome?Laura Wexler
University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, OH, USA
Cleve Clin J Med 72:929-36. 2005..Whether treating sleep apnea improves the clinical outcomes of patients with heart failure needs to be tested in randomized clinical trials...
- Central sleep apnea in congestive heart failure: prevalence, mechanisms, impact, and therapeutic optionsShahrokh Javaheri
College of Medicine, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Semin Respir Crit Care Med 26:44-55. 2005..Long-term studies, however, are necessary to determine the impact of therapy on natural history of left ventricular systolic dysfunction...
- CPAP should not be used for central sleep apnea in congestive heart failure patientsShahrokh Javaheri
University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Medical Director Sleepcare Diagnostics Cicinnati, OH, USA
J Clin Sleep Med 2:399-402. 2006
- Elevated glucose in pleural effusion: an early clue to esophageal perforationKhalid F Almoosa
Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Pulmonary Section 111F, VA Medical Center, 3200 Vine Street, Cincinnati, OH 45220, USA
Chest 131:1567-9. 2007..However, these variables are nonspecific. We present a case of pleural effusion in a patient with markedly elevated glucose levels from recent cola ingestion as a specific clue to the diagnosis of esophageal perforation...
- Adaptive pressure support servoventilation: a novel treatment for sleep apnea associated with use of opioidsShahrokh Javaheri
Sleepcare Diagnostics, University of Cincinnati, College of Medicine, Mason, Ohio 45040 USA
J Clin Sleep Med 4:305-10. 2008..However, chronic use of opioids has been associated with high prevalence of sleep apnea which could contribute to morbidity and mortality of such patients...
- Validation and clinical utility of a simple in-home testing tool for sleep-disordered breathing and arrhythmias in heart failure: results of the Sleep Events, Arrhythmias, and Respiratory Analysis in Congestive Heart Failure (SEARCH) studyWilliam T Abraham
The Ohio State University Heart Center, Davis Heart and Lung Research Institute, 473 West 12th Avenue, Columbus, OH 43210 1252, USA
Congest Heart Fail 12:241-7; quiz 248-9. 2006..The device was judged by 80% of patients to be easy or very easy to use, and 74% of patients expressed a preference for the in-home system. Therefore, this system represents a reasonable home testing device in these patients...
- A randomized trial of temperature-controlled radiofrequency, continuous positive airway pressure, and placebo for obstructive sleep apnea syndromeB Tucker Woodson
Department of Otoraryngology and Communication Sciences, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 128:848-61. 2003....
- Pembrey's dream: the time has come for a long-term trial of nocturnal supplemental nasal oxygen to treat central sleep apnea in congestive heart failureShahrokh Javaheri
Chest 123:322-5. 2003