Gene E Likens
Affiliation: Institute of Ecosystem Studies
- Dilution and the elusive baselineGene E Likens
Cary Institute of Ecosystem Studies, Millbrook, New York 12545, United States
Environ Sci Technol 46:4382-7. 2012....
- Long-term relationships between SO2 and NOx emissions and SO4(2-) and NO3- concentration in bulk deposition at the Hubbard Brook Experimental Forest, NHGene E Likens
Institute of Ecosystem Studies, P O Box AB, 65 Sharon Turnpike, Millbrook, New York, NY 12545, USA
J Environ Monit 7:964-8. 2005....
- Long-term sodium chloride retention in a rural watershed: legacy effects of road salt on streamwater concentrationVictoria R Kelly
Institute of Ecosystem Studies, Millbrook, New York 12545, and Dutchess County Environmental Management Council, Millbrook, New York 12545, USA
Environ Sci Technol 42:410-5. 2008..Model results suggest that the increase in streamwater concentration and export was likely due to a lag effect of long-term road salt use and subsurface buildup...
- Effect of climate change between 1984 and 2007 on precipitation chemistry at a site in northeastern U.S.AVictoria R Kelly
Cary Institute of Ecosystem Studies, Box AB, Millbrook, New York 12545, USA
Environ Sci Technol 43:3461-6. 2009....
- Patterns in potassium dynamics in forest ecosystemsChristopher E Tripler
Institute of Ecosystem Studies, Route 44A, Box AB, Millbrook, NY 12545, USA
Ecol Lett 9:451-66. 2006..We suggest that knowledge about the dynamics of this understudied element is imperative for our understanding patterns and processes in forest ecosystems...
- Decoupling of genetic and phenotypic divergence in a headwater landscapeWinsor H Lowe
Division of Biological Sciences, The University of Montana, Missoula, MT 59812, USA
Mol Ecol 21:2399-409. 2012..Our results also underscore the importance of explicitly comparing how terrestrial and aquatic conditions affect spatial patterns of divergence in species with biphasic life cycles...
- Trends in atmospheric ammonium concentrations in relation to atmospheric sulfate and local agricultureVictoria R Kelly
Institute of Ecosystem Studies, Millbrook, NY 12545, USA
Environ Pollut 135:363-9. 2005..These results also suggest that reductions in S emissions have reduced NH(4)(+) transport to and NH(4)(+)-N deposition in the Northeast...
- Acid rain mitigation experiment shifts a forested watershed from a net sink to a net source of nitrogenEmma J Rosi-Marshall
Cary Institute of Ecosystem Studies, Millbrook, NY 12545
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 113:7580-3. 2016....
- Linking direct and indirect data on dispersal: isolation by slope in a headwater stream salamanderWinsor H Lowe
Institute of Ecosystem Studies, Millbrook, New York, New York 12545, USA
Ecology 87:334-9. 2006..More broadly, our results show the value of combining direct data on movement behavior and indirect indices to assess patterns and consequences of dispersal in spatially complex ecosystems...
- Increased salinization of fresh water in the northeastern United StatesSujay S Kaushal
Institute of Ecosystem Studies, Box AB Route 44A, Millbrook, NY 12545, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:13517-20. 2005....
- Role of soil freezing events in interannual patterns of stream chemistry at the Hubbard Brook Experimental Forest, New HampshireRoss D Fitzhugh
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, 220 Hinds Hall, Syracuse University, Syracuse, New York 13244, USA
Environ Sci Technol 37:1575-80. 2003....
- Changes in nitrogen cycling during the past century in a northern hardwood forestKendra K McLauchlan
Environmental Studies Program, Dartmouth College, 6182 Steele Hall, Hanover, NH 03755, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:7466-70. 2007..Our results suggest that chronic disturbances caused by humans, especially logging and agriculture, are major drivers of terrestrial N cycling in forest ecosystems today, even a century after cessation...
- Mycorrhizal weathering of apatite as an important calcium source in base-poor forest ecosystemsJoel D Blum
Department of Geological Sciences, University of Michigan, 425 East University Avenue, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
Nature 417:729-31. 2002..Therefore, it seems that apatite weathering can compensate for some of the calcium lost from base-poor ecosystems, and should be considered when estimating soil acidification impacts and calcium cycling...