Thomas N Wise
Affiliation: Inova Fairfax Hospital
- The significance of treating somatic symptoms on functional outcome improvement in patients with major depressive disorder: a post hoc analysis of 2 trialsThomas N Wise
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Prim Care Companion J Clin Psychiatry 10:270-5. 2008..Functional impairment is associated with major depressive disorder (MDD), and patients with MDD often present with somatic symptoms...
- The psychosomatic interviewThomas N Wise
Department of Psychiatry, Inova Health Systems, Falls Church, VA 22042 3300, USA
Adv Psychosom Med 32:19-34. 2012..Organizing the data into the perspectives of diseases, dimensions, behaviors, and life stories allows the clinician to best understand their patients within a psychosomatic milieu...
- Painful physical symptoms in depression: a clinical challengeThomas N Wise
The Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Science, The George Washington University School of Medicine, Washington, DC, USA
Pain Med 8:S75-82. 2007..This mini review addresses the problems inherent to the treatment of painful physical symptoms in depression...
- Relation of fatigue with alexithymia and depression in psychiatric outpatientsThomas N Wise
Johns Hopkins University, USA
Percept Mot Skills 105:539-45. 2007..16) and positively correlated with depression (.44), anxiety (.30), and alexithymia (.35). However, in a multivariate regression analysis, only depression and alexithymia remained significant (p < or = .01)...
- Update on consultation-liaison psychiatry (psychosomatic medicine)Thomas N Wise
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Curr Opin Psychiatry 21:196-200. 2008..Current issues in consultation-liaison psychiatry, which is now labeled psychosomatic medicine as a formal subspecialty by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, are discussed...
- Teaching psychiatric residents about paraphilic disordersThomas N Wise
Fairfax Hospital, Department of Psychiatry, 3300 Gallows Rd, Falls Church, VA 22042 3300, USA
Acad Psychiatry 34:373-7. 2010..The author describes a program for psychiatric residents in evaluating patients with paraphilic disorders...
- Effects of progressive muscle relaxation training on anxiety and depression in patients enrolled in an outpatient pulmonary rehabilitation programSermsak Lolak
Department of Psychiatry, Inova Fairfax Hospital, Falls Church, VA, USA
Psychother Psychosom 77:119-25. 2008..This prospective, randomized controlled trial examined the effect of progressive muscle relaxation (PMR) training on anxiety and depression in patients with chronic breathing disorders receiving pulmonary rehabilitation (PR)...
- Managing the neuropsychiatric side effects of interferon-based therapy for hepatitis CCatherine C Crone
Inova Transplant Center, Inova Fairfax Hospital, 3300 Gallows Road, Falls Church, VA 22042, USA
Cleve Clin J Med 71:S27-32. 2004..These can be additional sources of patient distress during interferon therapy and require appropriate intervention through patient education, psychotropic medications, support, and behavioral techniques...
- Interface of Women's Mental and Reproductive HealthSermsak Lolak
Department of Psychiatry, Inova Fairfax Hospital, 3300 Gallows Road, Falls Church, VA 22042, USA
Curr Psychiatry Rep 7:220-7. 2005..Treatment decisions should involve careful assessment of the risks and benefits of any intervention including the risk of no treatment...
- PedophiliaPeter J Fagan
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Lutherville, MD, USA
JAMA 288:2458-65. 2002..Ultimately, reducing the prevalence of pedophilic behavior requires further collaboration between the criminal justice system and the health care communities...
- A day in the life of a psychiatrist in-the-making. Psychiatrist-in-the making: Jillian Evans, M.D. Mentor: Thomas N. Wise, M.DJillian Evans
Georgetown University School of Medicine, Washington, DC, USA
Acad Psychiatry 29:386-8. 2005
- Commentary: "will medical solutions to sexual problems make sexological care and science obsolete?"Thomas N Wise
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21218, USA
J Sex Marital Ther 33:479-83. 2007
- Alexithymia in patients attending a sexual disorders clinicThomas N Wise
Sexual Behaviors Consultation Unit, Johns Hopkins Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
J Sex Marital Ther 28:445-50. 2002..These data suggest that alexithymia in both sexually dysfunctional and paraphilic individuals is related to depressed mood, although the effect is more pronounced in paraphilics...
- Attribution of cause by patients with depression, anxiety, and alexithymiaThomas N Wise
Georgetown University, USA
Psychol Rep 94:259-63. 2004..This appears to contradict earlier assumptions that alexithymic patients tend to be less psychologically minded than those without this psychological trait...
- The journey to subspecialization in psychosomatic medicine (or consultation liaison psychiatry): a United States experienceThomas N Wise
Georgetown University School of Medicine, USA
Seishin Shinkeigaku Zasshi 105:325-30. 2003
- The changing content of Psychosomatics: reflection of the growth of consultation-liaison psychiatry?Dilip Ramchandani
Department of Psychiatry Temple University School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19140, USA
Psychosomatics 45:1-6. 2004....
- The somatoform disorders for DSM-V: the need for changes in process and contentThomas N Wise
Psychosomatics 43:437-40. 2002
- Efficacy, tolerability, and safety of duloxetineThomas N Wise
CNS Spectr 10:10-1. 2005
- Anger experiences among hepatitis C patients: relationship to depressive symptoms and health-related quality of lifeAmy A Dan
Center for Liver Diseases, Dept of Psychiatry, Inova Fairfax Hospital, Annandale, VA 22003 6800, USA
Psychosomatics 48:223-9. 2007..Greater anger was associated with more depression and poorer HRQL. Findings point to the importance for physicians to screen for a wide range of neuropsychiatric side effects of interferon, including anger...
- Increased risk of suicide among patients with breast implants: do the epidemiologic data support psychiatric consultation?Joseph K McLaughlin
International Epidemiology Institute, Department of Medicine, Vanderbilt Ingram Cancer Center, Vanderbilty University Medical Center, Nashville, TN, USA
Psychosomatics 45:277-80. 2004..Until such studies are completed, psychiatric consultation should be considered before breast augmentation, especially for patients perceived to be at high risk by the plastic surgeon...
- Insight and alexithymia in hospitalized psychiatric patientsEdward Mintz
The Department of Psychiatry at the Inova Fairfax Hospital, Falls Church, Virginia 22042 3300, U S A
Isr J Psychiatry Relat Sci 41:111-7. 2004..In summary, insight is a multidimensional phenomenon that does not simply correlate with alexithymia as a global construct but does correlate with alexithymic subfactor of diminished fantasy life...
- Development of a new assessment strategy in psychosomatic medicine: the diagnostic criteria for psychosomatic researchStefania Fabbri
Department of Psychology, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Adv Psychosom Med 28:1-20. 2007..Their implications for classification purposes (DSM-V) are also discussed...
- A revised Emotional Intelligence Scale: factor re-evaluation and item reductionMichael J Sheridan
Inova Fairfax Hospital, USA
Psychol Rep 98:65-71. 2006..97) and Interpersonal dimensions (.96) of the larger scale, but not with the Situational dimension (.43). The correlation between the total inventory scores was also significant (.94)...
- Issues for DSM-V: psychological factors affecting either identified or feared medical conditions: a solution for somatoform disordersGiovanni A Fava
Am J Psychiatry 164:1002-3. 2007
- Curiosity and crisisThomas N Wise
Psychother Psychosom 75:199-201. 2006