Genomes and Genes
Organization: Indiana University
- Designing conceptual model-based research in chemotherapy-related changes in cognitive functionLisa M Hess
Indiana University School of Medicine, Department of Public Health, 714 N Senate Avenue, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202, USA
Adv Exp Med Biol 678:37-54. 2010..Following this conceptual orientation, the research protocol can be designed. This chapter reviews these factors to guide conceptual model-based research of chemotherapy-related changes in cognitive function...
- Point: hypoxia is the optimal means of reducing pulmonary blood flow in the preoperative single ventricle heartEric Ebenroth
Indiana University Purdue, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
J Appl Physiol 104:1835-6; discussion 1838-9. 2008
- Segmental hemangioma: an important clinical termAnita N Haggstrom
Department of Dermatology, Indiana University, Indianpolis, Indiana, USA
Am J Med Genet A 146:670-1. 2008
- Opinion/education: the ABPN is the neurology resident's best friendRobert M Pascuzzi
Department of Neurology RG 6, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Neurology 70:e16-9. 2008
- Analysis of the erosive potential of calcium-containing acidic beveragesAnderson T Hara
Department of Preventive and Community Dentistry, Oral Health Research Institute, Indiana University School of Dentistry, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Eur J Oral Sci 116:60-5. 2008..Calcium-ion content, as well as pH, were found to be good predictors of the erosive potential of the beverages tested. Generally, beverages supplemented with calcium had a reduced capacity to demineralize enamel...
- Constitutional polymorphisms of prostate cancer: prognostic and diagnostic implicationsNoah M Hahn
Indiana University Melvin and Bren Simon Cancer Center, Indiana Cancer Pavilion Room RT415, 535 Barnhill Drive, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202, USA
Future Oncol 3:665-82. 2007....
- Viewpoint: infusing professionalism into a school of medicine: perspectives from the deanD Craig Brater
Indiana University School of Medicine, Indiana University, Indianapolis and Bloomington, Indiana 46202 5114, USA
Acad Med 82:1094-7. 2007In 2000, leaders at Indiana University School of Medicine (IUSM) consciously set out to incorporate professionalism into the culture of the school...
- Density value means in the evaluation of external apical root resorption: an in vitro study for early detection in orthodontic case simulationsF E Eraso
Indiana University School of Dentistry, Department of Oral Facial Development, Indianapolis, IN 46202 5186, USA
Dentomaxillofac Radiol 36:130-7. 2007..The purpose of this study was to develop an alternative diagnostic tool for the early detection of external apical root resorption (EARR)...
- Palonosetron plus dexamethasone for prevention of chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting in patients receiving multiple-day cisplatin chemotherapy for germ cell cancerLawrence H Einhorn
Division of Hematology Oncology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indiana University Cancer Center, 535 Barnhill Drive, Room 473, Indianapolis, IN, 46202 5289, USA
Support Care Cancer 15:1293-300. 2007..The aims of this study were to assess the safety and antiemetic efficacy of multiple-day dosing of palonosetron plus dexamethasone in patients receiving highly emetogenic multiple-day cisplatin-based chemotherapy for germ cell tumors...
- Role of cell culture for virus detection in the age of technologyDiane S Leland
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN, USA
Clin Microbiol Rev 20:49-78. 2007..e., when testing for only one virus is not sufficient), and when available culture-based methods can provide a result in a more timely fashion than molecular methods...
- Successful treatment of hand and foot psoriasis with efalizumab therapyScott Fretzin
Indiana University Medical Center, Indianapolis, IN, USA
J Drugs Dermatol 5:838-46. 2006..The efficacy of efalizumab in treating these cases of hand and foot psoriasis suggests that it may provide therapeutic benefit...
- Valgus slipped capital femoral epiphysisRandall T Loder
James Whitcomb Riley Hospital for Children, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
J Pediatr Orthop 26:594-600. 2006..Single central screw fixation must be approached with caution because the more medial screw entry point places the screw path in immediate proximity to the femoral neurovascular bundle...
- Risk factors for early radiographic changes of tibiofemoral osteoarthritisSteven A Mazzuca
Department of Medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN 46202 5100, USA
Ann Rheum Dis 66:394-9. 2007..To evaluate the risk factors for early radiographic changes of knee osteoarthritis...
- Renal lymphatics, and lymphatic involvement in sinus vein invasive (pT3b) clear cell renal cell carcinoma: a study of 40 casesStephen M Bonsib
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine, University Hospital, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Mod Pathol 19:746-53. 2006..Small peritumoral lymphatics may be destined for destruction by tumor growth. However, involved lymphatics within sinus and associated with renal pelvis, are likely sources for lymphatic spread and lymph node metastases...
- Treatment options in Alzheimer's disease: maximizing benefit, managing expectationsMartin R Farlow
Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Ind 46202 5111, USA
Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 25:408-22. 2008....
- Association of hepatitis C virus infection with prevalence and development of kidney diseaseSharon M Moe
Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 51:885-92. 2008..Data showed that hepatitis C may be causally linked to some glomerular diseases, and patients who are positive for hepatitis C have increased risk of albuminuria...
- Three-dimensional mechanical environment of orthodontic tooth movement and root resorptionRodrigo F Viecilli
Biomechanics Laboratory, Department of Orthodontics and Orofacial Genetics, Indiana University School of Dentistry and Purdue School of Engineering and Technology, Indianapolis, Ind 46202, USA
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 133:791.e11-26. 2008..In this study, we analyzed the predominant directions of tension and compression in the alveolar structures...
- Solid-phase synthetic route to multiple derivatives of a fundamental peptide unitWilliam L Scott
Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology, Indiana University Purdue University, Indianapolis, 402 N Blackford Street, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Molecules 15:4961-83. 2010..In a single solid-phase sequence, compatible with basic amine substituents, three-point variation is performed at the amino acid a-carbon and the amino and carboxyl functionalities...
- Linking residency training effectiveness to clinical outcomes: a quality improvement approachJohn D Buckley
Department of Medicine, Indiana University, Indianapolis, USA
Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf 36:203-8. 2010..A practical, quality improvement (QI) process was implemented at Henry Ford Hospital to enhance the training program's educational effectiveness and clinical outcomes...
- Risk factors for idiosyncratic drug-induced liver injuryNaga Chalasani
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Department of Medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202, USA
Gastroenterology 138:2246-59. 2010..Nonetheless, DILI is challenging to investigate because of its rarity, the lack of experimental models, the number of medications that might cause it, and challenges to diagnosis...
- Infected atopic dermatitis lesions contain pharmacologic amounts of lipoteichoic acidJeffrey B Travers
Department of Dermatology, Indiana University School of Medicine, 702 Barnhill Drive, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 125:146-52.e1-2. 2010..Bacterial infection with Staphylococcus aureus is a known trigger for worsening of atopic dermatitis (AD); the exact mechanisms by which bacterial infection worsens dermatitis are unknown...
- Experience with the once-yearly histrelin (GnRHa) subcutaneous implant in the treatment of central precocious pubertyKatherine A Lewis
Department of Pediatrics, Indiana University School of Medicine, Riley Hospital for Children, 702 Barnhill Drive, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Drug Des Devel Ther 3:1-5. 2009..While long term studies are needed to establish continued efficacy and safety beyond 2 years of treatment, the histrelin implant appears to be an attractive option for GnRHa treatment in patients with CPP...
- Modern pacemakers: hope or hype?Mithilesh K Das
Krannert Institute of Cardiology, Roudebush VA Medical Center, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
Pacing Clin Electrophysiol 32:1207-21. 2009..Promising new technologies are currently under development and offer hope to patients who may one day derive both symptomatic and mortality benefit from these devices...
- Parkin dosage mutations have greater pathogenicity in familial PD than simple sequence mutationsN Pankratz
Medical and Molecular Genetics, Indiana University, School of Medicine, Hereditary Genomics Division, 410 W 10th St, MI 4000, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Neurology 73:279-86. 2009..Mutations in both alleles of parkin have been shown to result in Parkinson disease (PD). However, it is unclear whether haploinsufficiency (presence of a mutation in only 1 of the 2 parkin alleles) increases the risk for PD...
- Interplay between fluoride and abrasivity of dentifrices on dental erosion-abrasionAnderson T Hara
Oral Health Research Institute, Department of Preventive and Community Dentistry, Indiana University School of Dentistry, 415 N Lansing Street, Indianapolis, 46202 2876 IN, USA
J Dent 37:781-5. 2009..Eroded teeth are more susceptible to toothbrushing wear than sound teeth. We tested the hypothesis that fluoride and abrasivity of dentifrices can interact, modulating the development of erosive-abrasive lesions...
- Fractures and amputations in children and adolescents requiring hospitalization after farm equipment injuriesJohn P Lubicky
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, James Whitcomb Riley Hospital for Children, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
J Pediatr Orthop 29:435-8. 2009..The aim of this study is to report the incidence of children requiring hospitalization for orthopaedic trauma after injury secondary to farm equipment accidents...
- Evaluation of a physician informatics tool to improve patient handoffsMindy E Flanagan
Center for Health Services and Outcomes Research, Regenstrief Institute, Indianapolis, IN, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 16:509-15. 2009..CONCLUSIONS The PHT reliably extracts information from the electronic health record. Respondents found the PHT to be suitable, although opportunities for improvement were identified...
- A randomized prospective study of insulin pump vs. insulin injection therapy in very young children with type 1 diabetes: 12-month glycemic, BMI, and neurocognitive outcomesZeina M Nabhan
Section of Pediatric Endocrinology and Diabetology, Department of Pediatrics, James Whitcomb Riley Hospital for Children, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Pediatr Diabetes 10:202-8. 2009....
- Developing drugs for core social and communication impairment in autismDavid J Posey
Department of Psychiatry, Indiana University School of Medicine, 1111 West 10th Street, Indianapolis, IN 46202 4800, USA
Child Adolesc Psychiatr Clin N Am 17:787-801, viii-ix. 2008..More research is needed on the utility of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, cholinergic drugs, glutamatergic drugs, and oxytocin for core autistic symptoms...
- Acrylamide carcinogenicityJames E Klaunig
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Center for Environmental Health, Indiana University School of Medicine, MS A503, 635 Barnhill Drive, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202, USA
J Agric Food Chem 56:5984-8. 2008..In addition, the pattern of tumor formation in the rat following chronic exposure supports a genotoxic mode of action but also suggests a potential role of endocrine modification...
- Effects of sildenafil on pulmonary hypertension and exercise tolerance in severe cystic fibrosis-related lung diseaseGregory S Montgomery
Division of Pediatric Pulmonology, Department of Pediatrics, Indiana University Medical Center, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
Pediatr Pulmonol 41:383-5. 2006..We report on a patient with severe CF lung disease who experienced clinically significant improvements in exercise tolerance and pulmonary hypertension without changing lung function during sildenafil therapy...
- Validation of 18F-fluoro-4-thia-palmitate as a PET probe for myocardial fatty acid oxidation: effects of hypoxia and composition of exogenous fatty acidsTimothy R DeGrado
Department of Radiology, School of Medicine, Indiana University, Indianapolis, 46077, USA
J Nucl Med 47:173-81. 2006....
- Living in the fallout: parents' experiences when their child becomes mentally illW K Mohr
Indiana University School of Nursing, Indianapolis, IN, USA
Arch Psychiatr Nurs 15:69-77. 2001..Identification of this grief process is an important step that can heighten practitioners' awareness so that future interventions and support systems can be developed to help these families deal with their pain and burden...
- Limited response to cardiac arrest by police equipped with automated external defibrillators: lack of survival benefit in suburban and rural Indiana--the police as responder automated defibrillation evaluation (PARADE)W J Groh
Department of Medicine, Krannert Institute of Cardiology, Indiana University, Indianapolis, IN 46202 4800, USA
Acad Emerg Med 8:324-30. 2001..To assess the out-of-hospital cardiac arrest (OHCA) survival advantage after providing police with automated external defibrillators (AEDs) in rural and suburban Indiana...
- Energy expenditure in infants with pulmonary insufficiency: is there evidence for increased energy needs?S C Denne
Department of Pediatrics, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
J Nutr 131:935S-937S. 2001..The doubly labeled water technique holds great promise for the detailed study of energy expenditure in a variety of clinical conditions, including very ill as well as free-living subjects...
- The effects of a mechanical thrombolytic device on normal canine vein valvesG McLennan
Department of Radiology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, USA
J Vasc Interv Radiol 12:89-94. 2001..To determine if the Arrow-Trerotola Percutaneous Thrombolytic Device (PTD) causes damage to normal vein valves...
- Effect of surgery on the nontreated hip in severe cerebral palsyK J Noonan
Department of Orthopaedics, Riley Children s Hospital, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202, USA
J Pediatr Orthop 20:771-5. 2000..We conclude that there are few indications for unilateral hip surgery in patients with diplegia or quadriplegia undergoing initial hip stabilization surgery, especially if any degree of dysplasia is present...
- Estimating odds ratios adjusting for misclassification in Alzheimer's disease risk factor assessmentC L Emsley
Division of Biostatistics, Indiana University School of Medicine, RG 4th, 1001 West Tenth Street, Indianapolis, IN 46202 2859, USA
Stat Med 19:1523-30. 2000..We apply the above method to data collected in the Indianapolis-Ibadan Dementia Study to estimate the odds ratio for smoking adjusting for misclassification error...
- Medical realities of cauda equina syndrome secondary to lumbar disc herniationS Shapiro
Department of Neurosurgery, Indiana University Medical Center, Indianapolis, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 25:348-51; discussion 352. 2000..An analysis of 44 cauda equina syndrome cases...
- Current approaches to the treatment of thymomaP J Loehrer
Indiana University Medical Center, The Walther Cancer Institute, Indianapolis 46202 5289, USA
Ann Med 31:73-9. 1999..Indeed, even in advanced disease, systemic therapy may not only prolong the disease-free survival, but may also be curative in various malignancies. The therapy for patients with thymoma has been evolving over the past few years...
- Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) alters the phospholipid molecular species composition of membranous vesicles exfoliated from the surface of a murine leukemia cell lineE E Williams
Department of Biology, Indiana University Purdue University at Indianapolis, 723 West Michigan Street, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1418:185-96. 1999..The data can be interpreted as indicating that DHA induces a restructuring of lateral microdomains on the surface of living cells similar to that predicted by its behavior in model membranes...
- Allogeneic bronchoalveolar lavage cells induce the histology and immunology of lung allograft rejection in recipient murine lungs: role of intercellular adhesion molecule-1 on donor cellsD S Wilkes
Department of Medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis 46202, USA
Transplantation 67:890-6. 1999..Using this model, the purpose of the current study was to determine the role of ICAM-1 on donor lung cells in lung allograft rejection...
- Effect of serial passage in tissue culture on sequence of omp1 from Chlamydia trachomatis clinical isolatesD R Stothard
Department of Medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202, USA
J Clin Microbiol 36:3686-8. 1998..The possibility that C. trachomatis omp1 might undergo mutation during such expansion has not been examined systematically. We found no differences in the omp1 sequences from 10 clinical specimens before and after 20 in vitro passages...
- Strategic planning with multitype libraries in the community: a model with extra funding as the main goalC F Gall
Ruth Lilly Medical Library, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis 46202 5121, USA
Bull Med Libr Assoc 85:252-9. 1997..Standard participative techniques were applied to strategic planning by Indianapolis libraries to help achieve successful community outreach and to write joint statements of mission, vision, goals, and objectives...
- Noninvasive temperature estimation in tissue via ultrasound echo-shifts. Part II. In vitro studyR Maass-Moreno
Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis 46202, USA
J Acoust Soc Am 100:2522-30. 1996..Overall, the results were consistent with theoretical predictions and encourage further experimental work to validate other aspects of the technique...
- Reduced levels of amyloid beta-peptide antibody in Alzheimer diseaseY Du
Department of Pharmacology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis 46285, USA
Neurology 57:801-5. 2001..To investigate whether it was possible to detect the presence and different levels of naturally occurring anti-beta-amyloid (Abeta) antibodies in the CSF of patients with AD and age-matched controls by employing a sensitive ELISA...
- Increase in hepatic arterial blood flow after transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt creation and its potential predictive value of postprocedural encephalopathy and mortalityN H Patel
Department of Radiology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202, USA
J Vasc Interv Radiol 12:1279-84. 2001....
- Relationships of stigma and shame to gonorrhea and HIV screeningJ Dennis Fortenberry
Section of Adolescent Medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Am J Public Health 92:378-81. 2002..The purpose of this study was to assess the relationships between stigma and shame associated with seeking treatment for sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) and undergoing testing for gonorrhea and HIV...
- Trained registered nurses/endoscopy teams can administer propofol safely for endoscopyDouglas K Rex
Division of Gastroenterology Hepatology, Department of Medicine, Indiana University Hospital, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202, USA
Gastroenterology 129:1384-91. 2005..Its administration by anesthesia specialists is associated with high cost. Administration by nonanesthesiologists is controversial because of concerns about safety, particularly respiratory depression...
- HPV infection in adolescents: natural history, complications, and indicators for viral typingMarcia L Shew
Division of Adolescent Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis 46202, USA
Semin Pediatr Infect Dis 16:168-74. 2005....
- Fluoride concentration of bottled water, tap water, and fluoridated salt from two communities in MexicoE Angeles Martinez-Mier
Oral Health Research Institute, Indiana University School of Dentistry, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Int Dent J 55:93-9. 2005..To determine fluoride levels in bottled water, tap water, and fluoridated salt from two communities in Mexico...
- Treatment of depression improves physical functioning in older adultsChristopher M Callahan
Indiana University Center for Aging Research, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 53:367-73. 2005..To determine the effect of collaborative care management for depression on physical functioning in older adults...
- Dental fluorosis and altitude: a preliminary studyE Angeles Martinez-Mier
Oral Health Research Institute, Indiana University School of Dentistry, Indianapolis 46202, USA
Oral Health Prev Dent 2:39-48. 2004..This investigation determined and compared dental fluorosis prevalence in populations of children living at high and low altitudes in Mexico...
- The relative anticaries effectiveness of three fluoride-containing dentifrices in Puerto RicoG K Stookey
Indiana University Purdue University at Indianapolis, Ind, USA
Caries Res 38:542-50. 2004....
- Comparison of intracranial self-administration of ethanol within the posterior ventral tegmental area between alcohol-preferring and Wistar ratsZachary A Rodd
Department of Psychiatry, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202 4887, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 28:1212-9. 2004....
- The perils of paying academic physicians according to the clinical revenue they generateRichard B Gunderman
School of Medicine, Indiana University, 702 Barnhill Drive, Room 1053, Indianapolis, IN, U S A
Med Sci Monit 10:RA15-20. 2004..Debates over how to compensate medical school faculty members represent nothing less than a battle for the heart and soul of academic medicine...
- Federating data with Information IntegratorAndrew D Arenson
INGEN IT Core, Research and Academic Computing Division, University Information Technology Services, Indiana University, Indianapolis 46202, USA
Brief Bioinform 4:375-81. 2003....
- Stage Ia-IIa cancer of the cervixJeanne M Schilder
Indiana University School of Medicine, 535 Barnhill Drive, Room 436, Indianapolis, IN 46202 5274, USA
Cancer J 9:395-403. 2003..A thorough discussion between the physician and patient is necessary to determine the optimal management for each individual. This review discusses the major factors that influence physician and patient management choices...
- A Mexican man with "too much blood"Montaser Shaheen
Department of Medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Lancet 362:806. 2003
- Peripheral neuropathies in clinical practiceRobert M Pascuzzi
Department of Neurology, RG 6, Indiana University School of Medicine, 1050 Wishard Boulevard, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Med Clin North Am 87:697-724. 2003..The clinical history and examination are often sufficient to create a more focused and appropriate laboratory evaluation, counseling for the patient as to long-term prognosis, and options for clinical management...
- Inter- and intrarater reliability of the Ashworth Scale and the Disability Assessment Scale in patients with upper-limb poststroke spasticityAllison Brashear
Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN, USA
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 83:1349-54. 2002..To evaluate the reliability of the Ashworth Scale and the Disability Assessment Scale (DAS) in poststroke patients with upper-limb spasticity and functional disability...
- Low-molecular-weight, calcium-dependent phospholipase A2 genes are linked and map to homologous chromosome regions in mouse and humanJ A Tischfield
Department of Medical and Molecular Genetics, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis 46202 5251, USA
Genomics 32:328-33. 1996..Unlike its rodent counterpart, human PLA2G2C appears to be a nonfunctional pseudogene...
- Outcomes of Perinatal StrokeMeredith Golomb; Fiscal Year: 2008..She wrote her MSc thesis on walking after perinatal stroke. She is an Assistant Professor at Indiana University (IU) School of Medicine, which, with its affiliated 4 hospitals, is the largest provider of tertiary ..
- Gene expression associated with the CNS reinforcing act*ZACHARY RODD HENRICKS; Fiscal Year: 2003..The results of the proposed project will provide valuable information on neuronal systems and receptors within the extended amygdala involved in mediating the rewarding properties of alcohol. ..
- CHEMOKINES/CYTOKINES AND RECEPTORS IN STEM CELL HOMINGHal Broxmeyer; Fiscal Year: 2005..These studies should clarity the relevance of SDF-1 and CXCR4 for homing/engraftment and mobilization of primary stem/progenitor cells. ..