Patrick J Pagano
Affiliation: Henry Ford Hospital
- Resistance of endothelium-dependent relaxation to elevation of O(-)(2) levels in rabbit carotid arteryP J Pagano
Vascular Biology Unit, Boston Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
Am J Physiol 277:H2109-14. 1999..These findings support the hypothesis that peroxynitrite is the relaxing agent that resists high O(-)(2) in the carotid artery...
- NO-mediated regulation of NAD(P)H oxidase by laminar shear stress in human endothelial cellsNicole Duerrschmidt
University of Technology Dresden, Medical Faculty Carl Gustav Carus, Department of Vascular Endothelium and Microcirculation, Fetscherstr 74, D 01307 Dresden, Germany
J Physiol 576:557-67. 2006..This mechanism might contribute to the regulation of endothelial NO/.O(2)(-) balance and the vasoprotective potential of physiological levels of laminar shear stress...
- Depolarization of the macula densa induces superoxide production via NAD(P)H oxidaseRuisheng Liu
Hypertension and Vascular Research Division, Henry Ford Hospital, 2799 West Grand Blvd, Detroit, MI 48202, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 292:F1867-72. 2007..We conclude that increasing luminal NaCl induces O(2)(-) production during tubuloglomerular feedback. O(2)(-) generated by the macula densa is primarily derived from NAD(P)H oxidase and is induced by depolarization...
- Perivascular superoxide anion contributes to impairment of endothelium-dependent relaxation: role of gp91(phox)Federico E Rey
Hypertension and Vascular Research Division, Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, Mich 48202 2689, USA
Circulation 106:2497-502. 2002..and adventitial NAD(P)H oxidase-derived O2- contributes to impairment of endothelium-dependent relaxation (EDR)...
- The adventitia: the outs and ins of vascular diseasePatrick J Pagano
Cardiovasc Res 75:636-9. 2007
- Adventitial fibroblast reactive oxygen species as autacrine and paracrine mediators of remodeling: bellwether for vascular disease?Mounir J Haurani
Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, Department of General Surgery, MI 48202 2689, USA
Cardiovasc Res 75:679-89. 2007..We will also survey other signaling pathways involving adventitial NAD(P)H oxidase ultimately leading to changes in vascular phenotype...
- Comparison of H2O2-induced vasoconstriction in the abdominal aorta and mesenteric artery of the mouseNoelia Ardanaz
Hypertension and Vascular Research Division, Henry Ford Health System, Detroit, MI 48202 2689, USA
Vascul Pharmacol 47:288-94. 2007..Furthermore, we found that p38, ERK 1/2 and Rho-kinase play a role in H(2)O(2) constriction, which may be critical pathways involved in H(2)O(2)-induced constriction across vascular beds...
- Vascular cell locomotion: osteopontin, NADPH oxidase, and matrix metalloproteinase-9Patrick J Pagano
Circ Res 98:1453-5. 2006
- Hydrogen peroxide as a paracrine vascular mediator: regulation and signaling leading to dysfunctionNoelia Ardanaz
Hypertension and Vascular Research Division, RM 7044, E and R Building, Henry Ford Hospital, 2799 West Grand Boulevard, Detroit, MI 48202 2689, USA
Exp Biol Med (Maywood) 231:237-51. 2006..Taken together, these findings seem consistent with a paracrine effect of H(2)O(2) across the vascular wall...
- Glycated proteins stimulate reactive oxygen species production in cardiac myocytes: involvement of Nox2 (gp91phox)-containing NADPH oxidaseMin Zhang
Cardiovascular Division, King s College London, London, United Kingdom
Circulation 113:1235-43. 2006..However, the effects of early-glycated proteins, such as glycated serum albumin (Gly-BSA), are poorly defined. In this study, we investigated the effects of Gly-BSA on reactive oxygen species (ROS) production by cardiomyocytes...
- Targeting reactive oxygen species in hypertensionM Eugenia Cifuentes
Hypertension and Vascular Research Division, Henry Ford Health System, Detroit, Michigan 48202, USA
Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens 15:179-86. 2006..NADPH oxidase, the primary source of reactive oxygen species in the cardiovascular system, is a strong candidate for the development of therapeutic agents to ameliorate hypertension and end-organ damage...
- Sphingosine kinase functionally links elevated transmural pressure and increased reactive oxygen species formation in resistance arteriesMatthias Keller
Institute of Physiology, Ludwig Maximilians University, Munich, Germany
FASEB J 20:702-4. 2006..Our results indicate a mandatory role for Sk1/S1P in mediating pressure-induced, NADPH oxidase-derived ROS formation. In turn, ROS generation appears to increase Ca2+ sensitivity, necessary for full myogenic vasoconstriction...
- Reduced NAD(P)H oxidase in low renin hypertension: link among angiotensin II, atherogenesis, and blood pressureMing Sheng Zhou
Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, Vascular Biology Institute, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, FL, USA
Hypertension 47:81-6. 2006..Our findings support the notion that in SS hypertension, activation of NAD(P)H oxidase promotes ED and atherogenesis via decreased nitric oxide bioactivity and increased LOX-1 and MCP-1, independent of blood pressure...
- Lack of inducible NO synthase reduces oxidative stress and enhances cardiac response to isoproterenol in mice with deoxycorticosterone acetate-salt hypertensionYing Sun
Hypertension and Vascular Research Division, Department of Internal Medicine, Henry Ford Health System, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI 48202 2689, USA
Hypertension 46:1355-61. 2005....
- Perivascular gene transfer of NADPH oxidase inhibitor suppresses angioplasty-induced neointimal proliferation of rat carotid arteryHector M Dourron
Division of Vascular Surgery, Henry Ford Health System, Detroit, Michigan, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 288:H946-53. 2005....
- Cloning and sequencing of rabbit leukocyte NADPH oxidase genes reveals a unique p67(phox) homologKatherine A Gauss
Department of Veterinary Molecular Biology, Montana State University, Bozeman, 59717, USA
J Leukoc Biol 71:319-28. 2002..These studies contribute to our understanding of the nature of the leukocyte NADPH oxidase in different species and will be valuable in future research using the rabbit model...
- Expression of a functionally active gp91phox-containing neutrophil-type NAD(P)H oxidase in smooth muscle cells from human resistance arteries: regulation by angiotensin IIRhian M Touyz
Multidisciplinary Research Group on Hypertension, Clinical Research Institute of Montreal, University of Montreal, Montreal, Canada
Circ Res 90:1205-13. 2002..These novel findings provide insight into the molecular regulation of NAD(P)H oxidase by Ang II in HVSMCs. Furthermore, we identify differences in gp91phox homologue expression in VSMCs from rats and human small and large arteries...
- Rac-dependent monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 production is induced by nutrient deprivationNeuza H M Lopes
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Circ Res 91:798-805. 2002..In conclusion, ND, an important component of ischemia, is sufficient to induce MCP-1 production by HAECs, and such production requires a functional Rac1, redox-dependent pathway...
- Novel role of gp91(phox)-containing NAD(P)H oxidase in vascular endothelial growth factor-induced signaling and angiogenesisMasuko Ushio-Fukai
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Circ Res 91:1160-7. 2002....
- The reactive adventitia: fibroblast oxidase in vascular functionFederico E Rey
Department of Microbiology, University of Iowa, Iowa City, USA
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 22:1962-71. 2002..A clearer understanding of the molecular mechanisms involved will likely lead to therapeutic strategies aimed at preventing vascular dysfunction in diseases such as atherosclerosis, in which these pathways are activated...
- Endothelin-1 increases vascular superoxide via endothelin(A)-NADPH oxidase pathway in low-renin hypertensionLixin Li
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Michigan State University, East Lansing 48824 1317, USA
Circulation 107:1053-8. 2003..However, the mechanisms underlying superoxide production in low-renin hypertension are undefined...
- Novel NAD(P)H oxidase inhibitor suppresses angioplasty-induced superoxide and neointimal hyperplasia of rat carotid arteryGary M Jacobson
Hypertension and Vascular Research Division, Henry Ford Health System, Detroit, Mich, USA
Circ Res 92:637-43. 2003..Our data indicate that in response to balloon injury of the rat carotid artery, NAD(P)H oxidase activity contributes to neointimal hyperplasia and is involved in vascular cell proliferation and migration during restenosis...
- NAD(P)H oxidase mediates angiotensin II-induced vascular macrophage infiltration and medial hypertrophyJianhua Liu
Hypertension and Vascular Research Division and the Biostatistics Department, Henry Ford Hospital, 2799 West Grand Blvd, Detroit, Mich 48202 2689, USA
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 23:776-82. 2003....
- c-Src and smooth muscle NAD(P)H oxidase: assembling a path to hypertrophyM Eugenia Cifuentes
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 23:919-21. 2003
- Gene transfer of NAD(P)H oxidase inhibitor to the vascular adventitia attenuates medial smooth muscle hypertrophyJianhua Liu
Hypertension and Vascular Research Division, Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, Mich 48202 2689, USA
Circ Res 95:587-94. 2004..After treatment with Ad-gp91ds-eGFP, 4-HNE generation was normalized. Thus NAD(P)H oxidases in adventitial fibroblasts and macrophages appear to modulate Ang II-induced medial hypertrophy...
- Nox4 oxidase overexpression specifically decreases endogenous Nox4 mRNA and inhibits angiotensin II-induced adventitial myofibroblast migrationMounir J Haurani
Department of General Surgery, Hypertension and Vascular Research Division, Room 7044, E and R Building, Henry Ford Hospital, 2799 West Grand Blvd, Detroit, MI 48202 2689, USA
Hypertension 52:143-9. 2008..05). Our data suggest that Nox4 promotes Ang II-induced myofibroblast migration via an H(2)O(2)-dependent pathway. The data also suggest that Nox4 causes feedback inhibition of its own expression in adventitial myofibroblasts...