Affiliation: Harvard University
- Early impact of PCV7/PCV13 sequential introduction to the national pediatric immunization plan, on adult invasive pneumococcal disease: A nationwide surveillance studyGili Regev-Yochay
Sheba Med Ctr, Ramat Gan, Israel Electronic address
Vaccine 33:1135-42. 2015..PCV7 was introduced as a universal childhood vaccination in Israel on July 2009 and was gradually replaced by PCV13 from November 2010. We report data on adult invasive pneumococcal disease (IPD), two years post PCV13 implementation...
- A nationwide surveillance of invasive pneumococcal disease in adults in Israel before an expected effect of PCV7Gili Regev-Yochay
Infectious Disease Unit, Sheba Medical Center, Ramat Gan, Israel, affiliated to the Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Israel
Vaccine 31:2387-94. 2013..9% and 67.9% of isolates in mortality cases respectively. This nationwide active surveillance provides the baseline incidence, mortality rates and risk group distributions of IPD in adults before expected PCV effect...
- Streptococcus pneumoniae carriage in the Gaza stripGili Regev-Yochay
Infectious Disease Unit, Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer affiliated to the Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
PLoS ONE 7:e35061. 2012..We report the epidemiology of S. pneumoniae carriage in a developing region, the Gaza strip, and evaluate the theoretical coverage of carriage strains by pneumococcal conjugate vaccines (PCVs)...
- Parental Staphylococcus aureus carriage is associated with staphylococcal carriage in young childrenGili Regev-Yochay
Infectious Diseases Unit, Sheba Medical Center and Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Pediatr Infect Dis J 28:960-5. 2009..Our previous study suggested that S. aureus carriage in children is associated with parental carriage. Here we wished to distinguish the different components that play a role in the risk to a child of a S. aureus-carrying parent...
- Re-emergence of the type 1 pilus among Streptococcus pneumoniae isolates in Massachusetts, USAGili Regev-Yochay
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, Children s Hospital Boston, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Vaccine 28:4842-6. 2010..These emerging piliated non-VT strains are mostly novel clones, with some exceptions. The rise in pilus type 1 frequency across multiple distinct genetic backgrounds suggests that the pilus may confer an intrinsic advantage...
- In vitro bactericidal activity of Streptococcus pneumoniae and bactericidal susceptibility of Staphylococcus aureus strains isolated from cocolonized versus noncocolonized childrenGili Regev-Yochay
Department of Epidemiology and Department of Immunology and Infectious Diseases, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Clin Microbiol 46:747-9. 2008..Thus, in vitro killing is not the major determinant of the pattern of cocolonization...
- SpxB is a suicide gene of Streptococcus pneumoniae and confers a selective advantage in an in vivo competitive colonization modelGili Regev-Yochay
Department of Epidemiology and Department of Immunology and Infectious Diseases, Harvard School of Public Health, 677 Huntington Ave, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Bacteriol 189:6532-9. 2007..We conclude that a suicide gene of pneumococcus is spxB, which induces an apoptosis-like death in pneumococci and confers a selective advantage in nasopharyngeal cocolonization...
- Reduction in antibiotic use following a cluster randomized controlled multifaceted intervention: the Israeli judicious antibiotic prescription studyGili Regev-Yochay
Infectious Disease Unit, Sheba Medical Center, Ramat Gan, Israel
Clin Infect Dis 53:33-41. 2011....
- Prevalence and genetic relatedness of community-acquired methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in IsraelG Regev-Yochay
Infectious Diseases Unit, Sheba Medical Center, Ramat Gan, Israel
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 25:719-22. 2006..Isolates were negative for pvl and were classified as ST-45-MRSA. Although CA-MRSA is still rare in Israel, the genetic relatedness of the strains found in this study to a successful MSSA clone warrants close follow up...
- Interference between Streptococcus pneumoniae and Staphylococcus aureus: In vitro hydrogen peroxide-mediated killing by Streptococcus pneumoniaeGili Regev-Yochay
Department of Epidemiology, Harvard School of Public Health, 677 Huntington Ave, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Bacteriol 188:4996-5001. 2006..These results provide a possible mechanistic explanation for the interspecies interference observed in epidemiologic studies...
- Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in neonatal intensive care unitGili Regev-Yochay
Infectious Diseases Unit, Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Ramat Gan, 52621 Israel
Emerg Infect Dis 11:453-6. 2005..Fifteen infected neonates were identified, 2 of whom died. This outbreak illustrates how a rare community pathogen can rapidly spread through nosocomial transmission...
- The pneumococcal pilus predicts the absence of Staphylococcus aureus co-colonization in pneumococcal carriersGili Regev-Yochay
Department of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, Children s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Clin Infect Dis 48:760-3. 2009..aureus were significantly lower for individuals carrying a piliated versus a nonpiliated S. pneumoniae strain, suggesting the pilus may be a determinant of the negative association...
- Independent risk factors for carriage of penicillin-non-susceptible Streptococcus pneumoniaeGili Regev-Yochay
Infectious Disease Unit, Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Ramat Gan, Israel
Scand J Infect Dis 35:219-22. 2003..24, 95% CI 1.64-3.05). Young children, who attended DCC and received 1 antibiotic course (9% of the population) had a risk 12.9 times higher than children without these features...
- Nasopharyngeal carriage of Streptococcus pneumoniae by adults and children in community and family settingsGili Regev-Yochay
Infectious Disease Unit, Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Israel
Clin Infect Dis 38:632-9. 2004..In a subanalysis of 151 pairs of children and their parents and of 32 pairs of siblings, intrafamilial transmission of S. pneumoniae could not be demonstrated...
- Comparison of community-acquired methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus bacteremia to other staphylococcal species in a neonatal intensive care unitJacob Kuint
Neonatal Department, The Edmond and Lili Safra Children s Hospital, Sheba Medical Center, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Eur J Pediatr 166:319-25. 2007..One possible explanation for this observation is that the CA-MRSA outbreak strain did not contain the pvl-gene, which has been suggested to be a significant virulence factor...
- Association between carriage of Streptococcus pneumoniae and Staphylococcus aureus in ChildrenGili Regev-Yochay
Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Israel
JAMA 292:716-20. 2004..Of particular significance may be an interaction between Streptococcus pneumoniae and Staphylococcus aureus, in view of the recent emergence of community-acquired methicillin-resistant S aureus...
- Transmission of Staphylococcus aureus from mothers to newbornsEyal Leshem
Infectious Diseases Unit, The Chaim Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer and the Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Pediatr Infect Dis J 31:360-3. 2012..The study objective was to define the risk factors and the route of Staphylococcus aureus transmission between mother and newborn...
- A typical hospital-acquired methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus clone is widespread in the community in the Gaza stripAsaf Biber
Infectious Disease Unit, Sheba Medical Center, affiliated to the Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Ramat Gan, Israel
PLoS ONE 7:e42864. 2012..The rapid spread in the community may be due to population determinants or due to yet unknown advantageous features of this particular strain...
- Epidemiologic evidence for serotype-specific acquired immunity to pneumococcal carriageDaniel M Weinberger
Department of Immunology and Infectious Diseases, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Infect Dis 197:1511-8. 2008..We found no evidence of specific protection for type 6B, group 15, or type 19F. Our findings imply that at least some serotypes generate anti-capsular antibodies that can reduce the risk of carriage in unimmunized toddlers...
- Changing parents' opinions regarding antibiotic use in primary careYasmin Maor
Infectious Disease Unit, Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer 52621, Israel
Eur J Pediatr 170:359-64. 2011..Improving parents' knowledge regarding antibiotics can reduce parents' wish for antibiotic treatment...
- Potential role of active surveillance in the control of a hospital-wide outbreak of carbapenem-resistant Klebsiella pneumoniae infectionDebby Ben-David
Infectious Diseases Unit, Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Israel
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 31:620-6. 2010..The recent emergence of carbapenem resistance among Enterobacteriaceae is a major threat for hospitalized patients, and effective strategies are needed...
- Invasive Pneumococcal Disease (IPD) in HIV Infected Patients in Israel since the Introduction of Pneumococcal Conjugated Vaccines (PCV): Analysis of a Nationwide Surveillance Study, 2009-2014Michal Chowers
a Infectious Diseases Unit, Meir Medical Center, Kfar Saba, and the Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Ramat Aviv, Israel
Hum Vaccin Immunother . 2016..A matched case-control study nested in a nationwide, prospective, population-based, cohort of adult IPD was performed. In addition, the HIV-IPD patients were compared to the general adult HIV population in Israel...
- Is methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus replacing methicillin-susceptible S. aureus?Elizabeth Mostofsky
Department of Epidemiology, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA, USA
J Antimicrob Chemother 66:2199-214. 2011..So far, evidence indicates that MSSA still accounts for many infections. Therefore, eradication of MRSA alone is not sufficient to address the public health burden of S. aureus...
- Initial effects of the National PCV7 Childhood Immunization Program on adult invasive pneumococcal disease in IsraelGili Regev-Yochay
Infectious Disease Unit, Sheba Medical Center, Ramat Gan, Israel
PLoS ONE 9:e88406. 2014..Here we report data on adult invasive pneumococcal disease (IPD), two years post PCV7 implementation and before an expected effect of PCV13...
- Resistant organisms and otitis mediaRon Dagan
Pediatr Infect Dis J 24:849; author reply 849-51. 2005
- Does pneumococcal conjugate vaccine influence Staphylococcus aureus carriage in children?Gili Regev-Yochay
Clin Infect Dis 47:289-91; author reply 291-2. 2008