Renee M Johnson
Affiliation: Harvard University
- Gun possession among Massachusetts batterer intervention program enrolleesEmily F Rothman
Boston University School of Public Health, Boston, MA, USA
Eval Rev 30:283-95. 2006..Recommendations for strengthening relevant gun laws both within and outside of Massachusetts are discussed...
- Are household firearms stored less safely in homes with adolescents?: Analysis of a national random sample of parentsRenee M Johnson
Harvard Injury Control Research Center, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Mass 02115, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 160:788-92. 2006..To examine whether firearms are more frequently stored loaded, unlocked, or both in households with adolescents only (aged 13-17 years) compared with households with younger children only (aged 0-12 years)...
- Gun carrying by high school students in Boston, MA: does overestimation of peer gun carrying matter?David Hemenway
Department of Health Policy and Management, Harvard School of Public Health, Harvard Injury Control Research Center, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Adolesc 34:997-1003. 2011..Social marketing campaigns designed to lower young people's perceptions about the prevalence of peer gun carrying may be a promising strategy for reducing actual gun carrying among youth...
- Neighborhood-level factors associated with physical dating violence perpetration: results of a representative survey conducted in Boston, MAEmily F Rothman
Community Health Sciences Department, Boston University School of Public Health, Boston, MA, USA
J Urban Health 88:201-13. 2011..However, when we used the adult version of the neighborhood assessment data, no neighborhood factor predicted dating violence. The implications and limitations of these findings are discussed...
- The built environment and depressive symptoms among urban youth: A spatial regression studyDustin T Duncan
Department of Social and Behavioral Sciences, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA, USA
Spat Spatiotemporal Epidemiol 5:11-25. 2013..While our results overall suggest that the built environment minimally influences youth depressive symptoms, additional research is needed, including to understand our results in the unexpected direction...
- Peer violence perpetration among urban adolescents: dispelling the myth of the violent immigrantJoanna Almeida
Northeastern University, Boston, MA, USA
J Interpers Violence 26:2658-80. 2011..Results suggest that perpetration of violence worsens with increased time in the U.S. Research is needed to identify factors that contribute to the acquisition of behaviors such as violence among recently arrived immigrant youth...
- Fighting With Siblings and With Peers Among Urban High School StudentsRenee M Johnson
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, MD, USA Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA, USA
J Interpers Violence 30:2221-37. 2015..49 times more likely to have reported fighting with peers. To the extent that we can confirm that sibling violence is associated with aggressive behavior, we should incorporate it into violence prevention programming...
- Who are the owners of firearms used in adolescent suicides?Renee M Johnson
Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA, USA
Suicide Life Threat Behav 40:609-11. 2010..Findings replicate results from previous research and highlight the importance of limiting youth access to firearms...
- Substance use, generation and time in the United States: the modifying role of gender for immigrant urban adolescentsJoanna Almeida
Simmons School of Social Work, Boston, MA, USA
Soc Sci Med 75:2069-75. 2012..The effects of generation and time in US on substance use differ by gender and the particular substance...
- U.S. tabloid magazine coverage of a celebrity dating abuse incident: Rihanna and Chris BrownEmily F Rothman
Department of Community Health Sciences, Boston University School of Public Health, 801 Massachusetts Avenue, Floor 3, Boston, MA 02118, USA
J Health Commun 17:733-44. 2012..Instead, the majority of articles communicated mixed messages about dating abuse, and many minimized the seriousness of partner abuse perpetration. Advocacy is needed to improve future tabloid media framing of dating abuse incidents...
- Does the alcohol make them do it? Dating violence perpetration and drinking among youthEmily F Rothman
Department of Community Health Sciences, Boston University School of Public Health, 801 Massachusetts Avenue, Floor 3, Crosstown Center, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Epidemiol Rev 34:103-19. 2012..Studies designed to investigate the youth alcohol-DVP link specifically, and whether results vary by individuals' gender, developmental stage, or culture, are needed...
- Training mental healthcare providers to reduce at-risk patients' access to lethal means of suicide: evaluation of the CALM ProjectRenee M Johnson
Boston University School of Public Health, Department of Community Health Sciences, 801 Massachusetts Avenue, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Arch Suicide Res 15:259-64. 2011..Findings also indicate that the workshop influenced participants' attitudes, beliefs, and skills regarding conducting lethal means counseling...
- Are first-generation adolescents less likely to be overweight? Results from a survey of Boston youthKendrin R Sonneville
Division of Adolescent and Young Adult Medicine, Boston Children s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
J Immigr Minor Health 17:605-9. 2015..In multivariate models stratified by sex, this pattern persisted for females only. There is a positive, linear trend in BMI by generation that differs by gender. Mechanisms underlying this association should be addressed...
- Emotional distress among LGBT youth: the influence of perceived discrimination based on sexual orientationJoanna Almeida
Northeastern University, School of Health Professions, Institute on Urban Health Research, Stearns Building, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Youth Adolesc 38:1001-14. 2009..Perceived discrimination is a likely contributor to emotional distress among LGBT youth...
- Perpetration of physical assault against dating partners, peers, and siblings among a locally representative sample of high school students in Boston, MassachusettsEmily F Rothman
Department of Community Health Sciences, Boston University School of Public Health, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 164:1118-24. 2010....
- Neighborhood-level LGBT hate crimes and current illicit drug use among sexual minority youthDustin T Duncan
Department of Social and Behavioral Sciences, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA, USA Harvard Youth Violence Prevention Center, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA, USA Electronic address
Drug Alcohol Depend 135:65-70. 2014....
- Association between neighborhood safety and overweight status among urban adolescentsDustin T Duncan
Department of Society, Human Development and Health, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA, USA
BMC Public Health 9:289. 2009....
- Do partners with children know about firearms in their home? Evidence of a gender gap and implications for practitionersTamera Coyne-Beasley
Department of Pediatrics, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7220, USA
Pediatrics 115:e662-7. 2005..Thus, the objective of this study was to examine the level of agreement on household firearms and storage practices among cohabiting partners...
- Storage of poisonous substances and firearms in homes with young children visitors and older adultsTamera Coyne-Beasley
Injury Prevention Research Center, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA
Am J Prev Med 28:109-15. 2005..This study examines storage of poisons and firearms among households with older adults, and households where young children reside compared to those where they visit only...
- Firearm ownership and storage practices, U.S. households, 1992-2002. A systematic reviewRenee M Johnson
Injury Prevention Research Center, School of Public Health, Department of Health Behavior and Health Education, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA
Am J Prev Med 27:173-82. 2004..This systematic review of published articles (1992 to 2002) provides prevalence estimates of firearm ownership and storage practices in U.S. households...
- The association of handgun ownership and storage practices with safety consciousnessTamera Coyne-Beasley
Injury Prevention Research Center, Department of Pediatrics, Division of Community Pediatrics, School of Medicine, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 27599 7225, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 156:763-8. 2002..As with other injury prevention practices, education about safe firearm storage is recommended to prevent injuries to children...
- MINORITY PRE-DOCTORAL FELLOWSHIP PROGRAMRenee Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..