- Airway smooth muscle tone modulates mechanically induced cytoskeletal stiffening and remodeling
Physiology Program, Dept of Environmental Health, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 99:634-41. 2005
..As regards pathobiology of asthma, this suggests a maladaptive positive feedback in which tone potentiates ASM remodeling and stiffening that further increases stress and possibly leads to worsening airway function...
- Fast and slow dynamics of the cytoskeleton
Program in Molecular and Integrative Physiological Sciences, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts 20115, USA
Nat Mater 5:636-40. 2006
..The transition between these two regimes occurred on timescales of the order of 0.01 s, thus setting within the slow glassy regime cellular events such as spreading, crawling, contracting, and invading...
- Universal physical responses to stretch in the living cell
Program in Molecular and Integrative Physiological Sciences, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Nature 447:592-5. 2007
..These laws seem to be both universal and primitive, and thus comprise a striking intersection between the worlds of cell biology and soft matter physics...
- Mechanical strain increases cell stiffness through cytoskeletal filament reorganization
Paul G Smith
Department of Pediatrics, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 285:L456-63. 2003
..They imply, furthermore, that oscillatory loading of ASM may contribute to airway narrowing and failure of airway dilation in asthma...
- Localized mechanical stress induces time-dependent actin cytoskeletal remodeling and stiffening in cultured airway smooth muscle cells
School of Biomedical Engineering, Dalhousie University, 5981 University Avenue, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada B3H 3J5
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 287:C440-8. 2004
..Together, these findings imply that MS is a potent stimulus to enhance stiffness and contractility of ASM cells through CSK remodeling, which may have important implications in airway narrowing and dilation in asthma...
- Beneficial and harmful effects of oscillatory mechanical strain on airway smooth muscle
Geoffrey N Maksym
School of Biomedical Engineering, Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS B3H 1W2, Canada
Can J Physiol Pharmacol 83:913-22. 2005
- Airway smooth muscle cell tone amplifies contractile function in the presence of chronic cyclic strain
Nigel J Fairbank
School of Biomedical Engineering, Dalhousie Univ, 5981 Univ Ave, Halifax, Nova Scotia B3H 1W2, Canada
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 295:L479-88. 2008