Genomes and Genes
Catherine M Cahill
Affiliation: Harvard University
- An iron-responsive element type II in the 5'-untranslated region of the Alzheimer's amyloid precursor protein transcriptJack T Rogers
Genetics and Aging Research Unit, Department of Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital, Charlestown, Massachusetts 02129 4404, USA
J Biol Chem 277:45518-28. 2002....
- Interleukin (IL) 1beta induction of IL-6 is mediated by a novel phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase-dependent AKT/IkappaB kinase alpha pathway targeting activator protein-1Catherine M Cahill
Neurochemistry Laboratory, Department of Psychiatry Neuroscience and Genetics and Aging Research Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital East, Charlestown, Massachusetts 02129, USA
J Biol Chem 283:25900-12. 2008..This novel pathway is a parallel pathway to the PI 3-kinase/AKT upstream of NFkappaB and both are involved in IL-6 gene transcription in response to IL-1...
- The alpha-synuclein 5'untranslated region targeted translation blockers: anti-alpha synuclein efficacy of cardiac glycosides and PosiphenJack T Rogers
Neurochemistry Laboratory, Psychiatry Neuroscience, Massachusetts General Hospital, Charlestown, MA 02129, USA
J Neural Transm (Vienna) 118:493-507. 2011..These are candidate drugs with the potential to limit toxic SNCA expression in the brains of PD patients and animal models in vivo...
- Selective translational control of the Alzheimer amyloid precursor protein transcript by iron regulatory protein-1Hyun Hee Cho
Neurochemistry Laboratory, Department of Psychiatry Neuroscience, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Charlestown, Massachusetts 02129, USA
J Biol Chem 285:31217-32. 2010..Functionally, shRNA knockdown of IRP1 caused increased expression of neural APP consistent with IRP1-APP IRE-driven translation...
- Iron and the translation of the amyloid precursor protein (APP) and ferritin mRNAs: riboregulation against neural oxidative damage in Alzheimer's diseaseJack T Rogers
Department of Psychiatry, Neurochemistry Laboratory, Massachusetts General Hospital, Charlestown, MA 02129, USA
Biochem Soc Trans 36:1282-7. 2008..The same constellation of RNA-binding proteins [IRP1/IRP2/poly(C) binding protein] control ferritin and APP translation with implications for the biology of metals in AD...
- Amyloid precursor protein and alpha synuclein translation, implications for iron and inflammation in neurodegenerative diseasesCatherine M Cahill
Neurochemistry Laboratory, Department of Psychiatry Neuroscience, Massachusetts General Hospital East, Harvard Medical School, CNY2, Building 149, Charlestown, MA 02129, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1790:615-28. 2009..In the case of AD, metal based therapeutics may ultimately prove more cost effective than the use of an amyloid vaccine as the preferred anti-amyloid therapeutic strategy to ameliorate the cognitive decline of AD patients...
- Drug discovery targeted to the Alzheimer's APP mRNA 5'-untranslated region: the action of paroxetine and dimercaptopropanolSandra Payton
Genetics and Aging Research Unit, Department of Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital, Charlestown, MA 02129, USA
J Mol Neurosci 20:267-75. 2003..In the future, we will identify further novel compounds that influence Abeta levels, either via translation inhibition or by changing the activity of proteins coupled between APP translation and APP processing...
- Interleukin-1alpha stimulates non-amyloidogenic pathway by alpha-secretase (ADAM-10 and ADAM-17) cleavage of APP in human astrocytic cells involving p38 MAP kinaseSanghamitra Bandyopadhyay
Neurochemistry Laboratory, Department of Psychiatry and Genetics and Aging Research Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Charlestown, Massachusetts 02129, USA
J Neurosci Res 84:106-18. 2006..Our data show a complex mechanism of sAPPalpha regulation by IL-1alpha that involves ADAM-10, ADAM-17 and p38 MAPK upstream of MEK and PI3K...
- The anticholinesterase phenserine and its enantiomer posiphen as 5'untranslated-region-directed translation blockers of the Parkinson's alpha synuclein expressionSohan Mikkilineni
Neurochemistry Laboratory, Massachusetts General Hospital East, CNY2, 149, 13th Street, Charlestown, MA 02129, USA
Parkinsons Dis 2012:142372. 2012..Primary metabolic analogs of posiphen were, likewise, characterized using primary fetal neurons grown ex vivo from the brains of Parkinson's transgenic mice expressing the human SNCA gene...
- Alzheimer's disease drug discovery targeted to the APP mRNA 5'untranslated regionJack T Rogers
Genetics and Aging Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital Harvard Medical School, Charlestown 02129 4404, USA
J Mol Neurosci 19:77-82. 2002..These APP 5'UTR directed drugs exemplify a new strategy to identify RNA-directed agents to lower APP translation and A beta peptide output for Alzheimer's disease therapeutics...
- Differential Expression of the Activator Protein 1 Transcription Factor Regulates Interleukin-1ß Induction of Interleukin 6 in the Developing EnterocyteCatherine M Cahill
Neurochemistry Laboratory, Department of Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital, and Harvard Medical School, Charlestown, Massachusetts, United States of America
PLoS ONE 11:e0145184. 2016....
- The acute box cis-element in human heavy ferritin mRNA 5'-untranslated region is a unique translation enhancer that binds poly(C)-binding proteinsAndrew M Thomson
Laboratory for Cancer Medicine, School of Medicine and Pharmacology, UWA Centre for Medical Research, Western Australian Institute for Medical Research and University of Western Australia, Royal Perth Hospital
J Biol Chem 280:30032-45. 2005..The regulated association of H-ferritin mRNA with the poly(C)-binding proteins suggests a novel role for these proteins in ferritin translation and iron homeostasis in human liver...
- Internalization and trafficking of opioid receptor ligands in rat cortical neuronsMao Cheng Lee
Department of Neurology and Neurosurgery, Montreal Neurological Institute, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Synapse 43:102-11. 2002..It is proposed that their retrograde transport into target cells might be involved in mediating some of the long-term, transcriptional effects of opioids...