H R Alpert
Affiliation: Harvard University
- A statewide public health approach to improving organ donation: the Massachusetts Organ Donation InitiativeHoward K Koh
Division of Public Health Practice, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Mass 02115, USA
Am J Public Health 97:30-6. 2007..Lessons from this initiative have contributed to growing national efforts for increasing organ supply and have provided insights for addressing this continuing public health challenge...
- Recent Advances in Cigarette Ignition Propensity Research and DevelopmentHillel R Alpert
Harvard School of Public Health, Landmark Building, Floor 3E, 401 Park Drive, Boston, MA 02135, Email, Telephone 617 998 1086
Fire Technol 46:275-289. 2010..While the implications of manufacturers' non-safety related aims are of concern, this research indicates possible alternative designs should experience with fire loss and existing technologies on the market suggest need for improvement...
- A prospective cohort study challenging the effectiveness of population-based medical intervention for smoking cessationHillel R Alpert
Center for Global Tobacco Control, Department of Society, Human Development, and Health, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
Tob Control 22:32-7. 2013..To examine the population effectiveness of nicotine replacement therapies (NRTs), either with or without professional counselling, and provide evidence needed to better inform healthcare coverage decisions...
- Prevalence and social environment of cigarette smoking in Cyprus youthCostas A Christophi
Cyprus International Institute for the Environment and Public Health in association with Harvard School of Public Health, Nicosia, Cyprus
BMC Public Health 8:190. 2008..We use the Global Youth Tobacco Survey to assess the prevalence of cigarette smoking among middle and high school students as well as the social environment in which this is taking place...
- Male tobacco smoke load and non-lung cancer mortality associations in MassachusettsBruce N Leistikow
Department of Public Health Sciences, University of California, Davis, Davis, CA 95616 8638, USA
BMC Cancer 8:341. 2008..This study assessed cumulative tobacco smoke damage (smoke load)/non-lung cancer mortality associations across time from 1979 to 2003 among all Massachusetts males and ages 30-74 years, using this novel methodology...
- Secondhand smoke exposure and neurobehavioral disorders among children in the United StatesZubair Kabir
Tobacco Free Research Institute, Dublin, Ireland
Pediatrics 128:263-70. 2011..Excess neurobehavioral disorders attributable to secondhand smoke (SHS) exposure in the home in 2007 were further investigated...
- Smoke-free households with children and decreasing rates of paediatric clinical encounters for otitis media in the United StatesHillel R Alpert
Harvard School of Public Health, Center for Global Tobacco Control, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Tob Control 20:207-11. 2011..The present study uses an ecological design to quantify trends in paediatric encounters for OM concurrent with a period of decline of an important risk factor, secondhand smoke (SHS) exposure among children...
- After the master settlement agreement: targeting and exposure of youth to magazine tobacco advertisingHillel R Alpert
Harvard School of Public Health in Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 27:w503-12. 2008....
- Free nicotine content and strategic marketing of moist snuff tobacco products in the United States: 2000-2006H R Alpert
Harvard School of Public Health, Division of Public Health Practice, Landmark Building, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Tob Control 17:332-8. 2008..Previous research has shown that major manufacturers of smokeless tobacco products manipulated free nicotine, the form most readily absorbed, to promote tolerance and addiction...
- Environmental and economic evaluation of the Massachusetts Smoke-Free Workplace LawHillel R Alpert
Harvard School of Public Health, Division of Public Health Practice, Tobacco Research Program, 401 Park Drive, Landmark Building, Floor 3E, Boston, MA 02215, USA
J Community Health 32:269-81. 2007..This evaluation demonstrates that the state-wide Massachusetts law has effectively improved indoor air quality in a sample of Massachusetts venues and has not negatively affected several economic indicators...
- Trends in nicotine yield in smoke and its relationship with design characteristics among popular US cigarette brands, 1997-2005Gregory N Connolly
Harvard School of Public Health, Division of Public Health Practice, Landmark Building, 677 Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Tob Control 16:e5. 2007....
- Ignition strength of 25 international cigarette brandsAndrew B Seidenberg
Center for Global Tobacco Control, Department of Society, Human Development, and Health, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Tob Control 20:77-80. 2011..It is not known if cigarette manufacturers are voluntarily introducing RIP cigarettes in other countries to help save lives...
- Effect of the New York State cigarette fire safety standard on ignition propensity, smoke constituents, and the consumer marketG N Connolly
Harvard School of Public Health, Division of Public Health Practice, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Tob Control 14:321-7. 2005..This study examines empirical evidence from the New York experience testing tobacco industry arguments made in opposition to fire safety standards for cigarettes...
- Adolescent occupational toxic exposures: a national studyA Woolf
IC Smith Building, Children s Hospital, Regional Poison Control and Prevention Center, 300 Longwood Ave, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 155:704-10. 2001..Such incidents are unlikely to be reported to either federal or state agencies. However, poison control centers often get called about these poisonings and might serve as a resource for monitoring their occurrence...
- Tobacco industry control of menthol in cigarettes and targeting of adolescents and young adultsJennifer M Kreslake
Tobacco Control Research Program, Division of Public Health Practice, Harvard School of Public Health, 401 Park Dr, Boston, MA 02215, USA harvard edu
Am J Public Health 98:1685-92. 2008..We examined whether tobacco manufacturers manipulate the menthol content of cigarettes in an effort to target adolescents and young adults...
- Comparing utilization of life-sustaining treatments with patient and public preferencesH R Alpert
Division of Medical Ethics, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Mass 02115, USA
J Gen Intern Med 13:175-81. 1998..Progress in end-of-life care should focus on shared decision making at the patient-proxy-physician level rather than on overall life-sustaining treatments utilization...
- Unintentional child poisonings through ingestion of conventional and novel tobacco productsGregory N Connolly
Division of Public Health Practice, School of Public Health, Harvard University, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Pediatrics 125:896-9. 2010....
- Understanding worldwide youth attitudes towards smoke-free policies: an analysis of the Global Youth Tobacco SurveyHoward K Koh
Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Tob Control 20:219-25. 2011..Smoke-free policies (SFPs) in public places are increasing globally, but developing countries are lagging behind. Understanding youth attitudes towards SFPs can inform SFP initiatives...
- Trends in the use of cigarettes and other tobacco products, 2000-2007Gregory N Connolly
JAMA 299:2629-30. 2008