Scott B Halstead
- More dengue, more questionsScott B Halstead
Pediatric Dengue Vaccine Initiative, Rockville, Maryland 20852, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 11:740-1. 2005
- Dengue virus-mosquito interactionsScott B Halstead
Pediatric Dengue Vaccine Initiative, Bethesda, MD 20852, USA
Annu Rev Entomol 53:273-91. 2008..Also described is the crucial role of monotypic and heterotypic herd immunity in shaping dengue epidemic behavior...
- Measuring dengue enhancing antibodies: caveatsScott B Halstead
J Infect Dis 193:601. 2006
- Interview with Scott B. Halstead, M.DScott B Halstead
Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 7:99-105. 2007
- The burden of dengue infectionScott B Halstead
Pediatric Dengue Vaccine Initiative, Rockville, MD 20852, USA
Lancet 369:1410-1. 2007
- Licensed Dengue Vaccine: Public Health Conundrum and Scientific ChallengeScott B Halstead
Department of Preventive Medicine and Biometrics, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, Maryland
Am J Trop Med Hyg 95:741-745. 2016..To achieve a safe and protective dengue vaccine, careful studies of monotypic CYD vaccines in humans should precede field trials of tetravalent formulations...
- Dengue vaccines: Are they safe for travelers?Scott B Halstead
Department of Preventive Medicine and Biometrics, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, MD, 20814, USA Electronic address
Travel Med Infect Dis 14:378-83. 2016..The NIAID vaccine is promising as a travel vaccine as a single dose fully protected susceptible adults against live dengue 2 virus challenge. The protective efficacy and safety of the Takeda vaccine remain to be demonstrated. ..
- Protective and immunological behavior of chimeric yellow fever dengue vaccineScott B Halstead
Private Consultant, 5824 Edson Lane, North Bethesda, MD 20852, USA Electronic address
Vaccine 34:1643-7. 2016..The implications of the observed mixture of DENV protection and enhanced disease in CYD vaccinees are discussed. ..
- Epidemiology of bladder stone of children: precipitating eventsScott B Halstead
Department of Preventive Medicine and Biometrics, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, 5824 Edson Lane, N Bethesda, MD, 20852, USA
Urolithiasis 44:101-8. 2016..The role of early introduction of carbohydrate foods and reduced milk intake of neonates has not been incorporated into recommendations for feeding newborns in endemic countries nor comprehensively modeled in animals. ..
- Comment on "Dengue virus NS1 protein activates cells via Toll-like receptor 4 and disrupts endothelial cell monolayer integrity" and "Dengue virus NS1 triggers endothelial permeability and vascular leak that is prevented by NS1 vaccination"Scott B Halstead
Uniformed University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, MD 20814, USA E mail
Sci Transl Med 7:318le4. 2015..New insights into toxicity of dengue virus protein NS1 provide context to previous work and prompt further questions. ..
- Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever at 60 Years: Early Evolution of Concepts of Causation and TreatmentScott B Halstead
Department of Preventive Medicine and Biometrics, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Microbiol Mol Biol Rev 79:281-91. 2015..Most epidemiological observations made during the decade of the 1960s have been confirmed in the succeeding 45 years. Much contemporary research on pathogenesis fails to address the two distinct immunological antecedents of DHF/DSS. ..
- Identifying protective dengue vaccines: guide to mastering an empirical processScott B Halstead
Department of Preventive Medicine and Biometrics, Uniformed University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, MD, USA Electronic address
Vaccine 31:4501-7. 2013..Finally, it will be important to learn if DENV non-structural protein 1 (NS1) contributes to pathogenesis of the vascular permeability syndrome in humans. If so, immunity to dengue 1-4 NS1 may be crucial to prevent severe disease. ..
- Controversies in dengue pathogenesisScott B Halstead
Dengue Vaccine Initiative, International Vaccine Institute, Seoul, Korea
Paediatr Int Child Health 32:5-9. 2012....
- DengueScott B Halstead
Supportive Research and Development, Pediatric Dengue Vaccine Initiative, Internal Vaccine Institute, Seoul, South Korea
Lancet 370:1644-52. 2007..Here, I review and discuss data on clinical diagnosis and pathophysiology of vascular permeability and coagulopathy, parenteral treatment of DHF/DSS, and new laboratory tests...
- Intrinsic antibody-dependent enhancement of microbial infection in macrophages: disease regulation by immune complexesScott B Halstead
International Vaccine Institute, Seoul, Korea
Lancet Infect Dis 10:712-22. 2010..We review insights into intracellular mechanisms and implications of enhanced pathogenesis after ligation of macrophage Fcγ receptors by infectious immune complexes...
- Antibodies determine virulence in dengueScott B Halstead
Supportive Research and Development Program, Pediatric Dengue Vaccine Initiative, Bethesda, Maryland 20852, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1171:E48-56. 2009....
- Japanese encephalitis: new options for active immunizationScott B Halstead
Research Program, Pediatric Dengue Vaccine Initiative, Rockville, Maryland 20852, USA
Clin Infect Dis 50:1155-64. 2010..JE is a vaccine-preventable disease with numerous options now available for active immunization. Aggressive and responsible vaccination programs should greatly diminish the burden of disease...
- New vaccines for Japanese encephalitisScott B Halstead
Research Program, Pediatric Dengue Vaccine Initiative, 5824 Edson Lane, Rockville, MD, 20852, USA
Curr Infect Dis Rep 12:174-80. 2010..Safe and effective JE vaccines are now available to the entire at-risk population and should greatly diminish the burden of disease...
- New Japanese encephalitis vaccines: alternatives to production in mouse brainScott B Halstead
Research Program, Pediatric Dengue Vaccine Initiative, 5824 Edson Lane, Rockville, MD 20852, USA
Expert Rev Vaccines 10:355-64. 2011..A broad portfolio of safe and effective Japanese encephalitis vaccines has become available to meet the needs of at-risk populations; when appropriately delivered, these new vaccines should greatly diminish the burden of disease...
- Dengue virus: molecular basis of cell entry and pathogenesis, 25-27 June 2003, Vienna, AustriaScott B Halstead
Pediatric Dengue Vaccine Initiative, 5824 Edson Lane, Rockville, MD 20852, USA
Vaccine 23:849-56. 2005..Achievement of this aim will require a better understanding of the basic mechanisms by which dengue viruses recognize, attach, enter and infect relevant human cells and how antibodies protect against dengue infections...
- Biologic properties of dengue viruses following serial passage in primary dog kidney cells: studies at the University of HawaiiScott B Halstead
Department of Tropical Medicine and Medical Microbiology, John A Burns School of Medicine, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 69:5-11. 2003..Candidate human vaccines have been prepared from five of the studied strains: DEN-1 (16007) at PDK 13, DEN-2 (16681 and S-16803) at PDK 50 or above, and DEN-4 (1036 and 341750) at PDK 48 and 20, respectively...
- DengueScott B Halstead
Department of Preventive Medicine and Biometrics, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, Maryland 20852, USA
Curr Opin Infect Dis 15:471-6. 2002..Because efforts to control dengue are flagging, this review focuses on the mechanisms underlying severe disease and on treatment options, good and bad...
- Dengue hemorrhagic fever in infants: research opportunities ignoredScott B Halstead
Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 8:1474-9. 2002..Research challenges presented by infant DHF/DSS are discussed...
- The future of dengue vaccinesScott B Halstead
Department of Preventive Medicine, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, MD, USA
Lancet 360:1243-5. 2002
- How innate immune mechanisms contribute to antibody-enhanced viral infectionsSukathida Ubol
Microbiology Department, Faculty of Science, Mahidol University, 272 Rama 6 Road, Bangkok 10400, Thailand
Clin Vaccine Immunol 17:1829-35. 2010..Safe and effective vaccines against RSV/measles virus and dengue virus may benefit from a better understanding of how innate immune responses can promote production of protective antibodies...
- The wages of original antigenic sinDavid M Morens
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 16:1023-4. 2010
- Effect of single dose of SA 14-14-2 vaccine 1 year after immunisation in Nepalese children with Japanese encephalitis: a case-control studyHeechoul Ohrr
Department of Preventive Medicine, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul 120 752, Korea
Lancet 366:1375-8. 2005..Cases of natural infection occurred almost immediately. Our aim was to assess the long-term protective effect of this vaccination...
- Best practices in dengue surveillance: a report from the Asia-Pacific and Americas Dengue Prevention BoardsMark E Beatty
Pediatric Dengue Vaccine Initiative, International Vaccine Institute, Seoul, Republic of Korea
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 4:e890. 2010..Dengue fever is a virus infection that is spread by the Aedes aegypti mosquito and can cause severe disease especially in children. Dengue fever is a major problem in tropical and sub-tropical regions of the world...
- Japanese encephalitisScott B Halstead
Department of Preventive Medicine and Biometrics, Uniformed University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, Maryland 20814, USA
Adv Virus Res 61:103-38. 2003
- Neutralization and antibody-dependent enhancement of dengue virusesScott B Halstead
Department of Preventive Medicine and Biometrics, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, Maryland 20814, USA
Adv Virus Res 60:421-67. 2003
- Dengue in the Americas and Southeast Asia: do they differ?Scott B Halstead
Pediatric Dengue Vaccine Initiative Research, 5824 Edson Lane, Rockville, Maryland 20852, United States of America
Rev Panam Salud Publica 20:407-15. 2006..Understanding the nature and distribution of these genes holds promise for containing severe dengue. Future research on dengue infections should emphasize population-based designs...
- Neutralizing antibodies after infection with dengue 1 virusMaria G Guzman
Pedro Kouri Tropical Medicine Institute, Havana, Cuba
Emerg Infect Dis 13:282-6. 2007..This finding may be related to the time-dependent changes in severity of disease found with secondary dengue infection...
- Enhanced severity of secondary dengue-2 infections: death rates in 1981 and 1997 Cuban outbreaksMaria G Guzman
Institute of Tropical Medicine Pedro Kouri, Department of Virology, Tropical Medicine Institute, Autopista Novia del Mediodía Km 6, P O Box 601, Marianao 13, Havana, Cuba
Rev Panam Salud Publica 11:223-7. 2002..To understand the possible effect that length of time has on disease severity with sequential dengue infections...
- Natural history of dengue virus (DENV)-1 and DENV-4 infections: reanalysis of classic studiesHiroshi Nishiura
Department of Medical Biometry, University of Tubingen, Tubingen, D 72070, Germany
J Infect Dis 195:1007-13. 2007..The natural history of wild-type dengue virus (DENV) infections of humans, including incubation and infectious periods, requires further study...
- Dengue hemorrhagic Fever caused by sequential dengue 1-3 virus infections over a long time interval: Havana epidemic, 2001-2002Mayling Alvarez
Department of Virology, Pan American Health Organization World Health Organization Collaborating Center for the Study of Dengue and its Vector, Pedro Kouri Tropical Medicine Institute, Havana, Cuba
Am J Trop Med Hyg 75:1113-7. 2006..However definitive categorization of a tertiary infection was not possible because of broadly reactive antibodies, which could have been raised by infections in the sequence DENV-1 then DENV-3...
- Volume replacement in infants with dengue hemorrhagic fever/dengue shock syndromeThanh Hung Nguyen
Department of Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever, Children s Hospital No 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Am J Trop Med Hyg 74:684-91. 2006..To improve case fatality rates, special efforts need to be directed to infants with DHF/DSS accompanied by severe complications...
- Cost-effectiveness of a pediatric dengue vaccineDonald S Shepard
Schneider Institute for Health Policy, Heller School, Room G19, Mail Stop 035, Brandeis University, Waltham, MA 02454 9110, USA
Vaccine 22:1275-80. 2004..Eventually, vaccination may be able to replace environmental control as a strategy for dengue prevention and be cost saving...
- Vaccines aplentyScott B Halstead
Curr Opin Infect Dis 15:461-3. 2002
- Effect of dengue-1 antibodies on American dengue-2 viral infection and dengue haemorrhagic feverTadeusz J Kochel
Department of Virology, Naval Medical Research Centre Detachment, Lima, Peru
Lancet 360:310-2. 2002....
- Effect of age on outcome of secondary dengue 2 infectionsMaria G Guzman
Department of Virology, PAHO WHO Collaborating Center for Viral Diseases, Tropical Medicine Institute of Havana, Cuba
Int J Infect Dis 6:118-24. 2002..Involved were individuals, 3-40 year old, whose only lifetime dengue exposure was to DEN-1 in 1977 and DEN-2 in 1981. In this report we calculate age-specific DHF/DSS hospitalization and death rates based on secondary DEN 2 infections...
- Single dose of SA 14-14-2 vaccine provides long-term protection against Japanese encephalitis: a case-control study in Nepalese children 5 years after immunization. firstname.lastname@example.orgJ B Tandan
Council for Technical Education and Vocational Training, P O Box 3546, Sanothimi, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Nepal
Vaccine 25:5041-5. 2007..1%) while only one of 20 JE cases had received live-attenuated JE vaccine. Five years after administration of a single dose, SA 14-14-2 provided a protective efficacy of 96.2% (CI 73.1-99.9%)...
- Dengue hemorrhagic fever: two infections and antibody dependent enhancement, a brief history and personal memoirScott B Halstead
Department of Molecular Microbiology and Immunology, School of Hygiene and Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Rev Cubana Med Trop 54:171-9. 2002
- Association between sex, nutritional status, severity of dengue hemorrhagic fever, and immune status in infants with dengue hemorrhagic feverThanh Hung Nguyen
Department of Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever, Children s Hospital No 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Am J Trop Med Hyg 72:370-4. 2005....
- Recombination and flavivirus vaccines: a commentaryThomas P Monath
Acambis Inc, 38 Sidney Street, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Vaccine 23:2956-8. 2005
- Dengue hemorrhagic fever in infants: a study of clinical and cytokine profilesThanh Hung Nguyen
Department of Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever, Children s Hospital No 1 Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
J Infect Dis 189:221-32. 2004..Overproduction of both proinflammatory cytokines (interferon-gamma and tumor necrosis factor-alpha) and anti-inflammatory cytokines (interleukin-10 and -6) may play a role in the pathogenesis of DHF/DSS in infants...