- Joint pain in children: an algorithmic approachAbraham Gedalia
Division of Pediatric Rheumatology, LSU Health Sciences Center, Children s Hospital of New Orleans, LA, USA
Isr Med Assoc J 4:837-42. 2002
- Henoch-Schönlein purpuraAbraham Gedalia
Department of Pediatrics, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center and Children s Hospital, 1542 Tulane Avenue, T8 1, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
Curr Rheumatol Rep 6:195-202. 2004..One third to one half of these patients will have one or more recurrences of symptoms, usually within 6 weeks, but may occur as late as 3 to 7 years later...
- Systemic vasculitis in childhoodAbraham Gedalia
Department of Pediatrics, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, Children s Hospital, 200 Henry Clay Avenue, New Orleans, LA 70118, USA
Curr Rheumatol Rep 11:402-9. 2009..Therefore, the outcome in general is more favorable in children. This article offers an overview of the epidemiologic, etiologic, pathophysiologic, and clinical features of vasculitis in children, with emphasis on common conditions...
- Fibromyalgia syndrome: experience in a pediatric rheumatology clinicA Gedalia
Division of Pediatric Rheumatology, LSU Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, USA
Clin Exp Rheumatol 18:415-9. 2000..To report our experience of fibromyalgia syndrome (FMS) in pediatric rheumatology clinic settings...
- Childhood sarcoidosis: A rare but fascinating disorderAvinash K Shetty
Division of Pediatric Rheumatology, Louisiana State University Medical Center and Children s Hospital of New Orleans, LA, USA
Pediatr Rheumatol Online J 6:16. 2008..The long-term course and prognosis is not well established in childhood sarcoidosis, but it appears to be poorer in early-onset disease...
- Kawasaki disease: 40 years after the original reportAbraham Gedalia
Department of Pediatrics Rheumatology, Children s Hospital, New Orleans, LA 70118, USA
Curr Rheumatol Rep 9:336-41. 2007..It remains to be seen whether other anti-inflammatory agents such as immunosuppressive therapies or new biologics will play a role in the management of patients with KD...
- Kawasaki disease: an updateAbraham Gedalia
Departments of Pediatrics, LSU Health Sciences Center and Children s Hospital, 1542 Tulane Avenue, T8 1, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
Curr Rheumatol Rep 4:25-9. 2002..Further research studies are needed to identify the possible cause, define the treatment, and predict the long-term outcome of this enigmatic disease...
- Renal involvement in juvenile rheumatoid arthritis: report of two casesA Gedalia
Department of Pediatrics, LSU Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, Louisiana 70112 2822, USA
Clin Rheumatol 20:153-6. 2001..Although the association may be just coincidental, further studies are needed to define the role of JRA in these renal conditions. In patients with JRA, urinalysis and renal function should be routinely monitored...
- Successful emergent coronary thrombolysis in a neonate with Kawasaki's diseaseVijay R Karia
Department of Rheumatology, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, LA 70118, USA
Pediatr Cardiol 31:1239-42. 2010..The infant successfully underwent emergent coronary thrombolysis with tissue plasminogen activator...
- Kawasaki disease: clinical spectrum of 88 patients in a high-prevalence African-American populationJavier Marquez
Department of Pediatrics, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center and Children s Hospital, New Orleans, LA 70118, USA
J Natl Med Assoc 100:28-32. 2008..Hemoglobin (Hb) levels of <10 g/dl and presence of polymorphic rash were significantly correlated with development of CAAs. No deaths were observed...
- Management of septic arthritisAvinash K Shetty
Department of Pediatrics, Wake Forest University School of Medicine and Brenner Children s Hospital, Winston Salem, North Carolina 27157, USA
Indian J Pediatr 71:819-24. 2004..A minimum of 3-4 weeks of therapy is recommended. Close follow-up is warranted to monitor the growth of the affected limb until skeletal maturity...
- Familial Mediterranean fever presenting as anti-cyclic citrullinated peptide antibody negative palindromic rheumatismNirupa J Patel
Section of Rheumatology, Department of Medicine, LSU Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
J Clin Rheumatol 16:290-2. 2010..He was found to have heterozygous 694I gene mutation during MEFV analysis. He also met Liveneh 1 major and 1 minor criteria for the diagnosis of familial Mediterranean fever...
- Childhood sarcoidosis: Louisiana experienceAbraham Gedalia
Division of Pediatric Rheumatology, Children s Hospital and Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, 200 Henry Clay Ave, New Orleans, LA, 70118, USA
Clin Rheumatol 35:1879-84. 2016..Low-dose MTX seems to be effective, steroid sparing, and safe adjunct to treat sarcoidosis with multiorgan involvement. Early-onset disease is less common and associated with increased morbidity, flares, and poor prognosis. ..
- Pathophysiology and clinical spectrum of infections in systemic lupus erythematosusRaquel Cuchacovich
Section of Rheumatology, Department of Internal Medicine, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, 1542 Tulane Avenue, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
Rheum Dis Clin North Am 35:75-93. 2009..This article discusses bacterial, viral, and opportunistic microorganism infections in SLE, and the role of immunosuppressive therapy and immunodeficiencies in the disease...
- Recurrence of granulomatous interstitial nephritis in transplanted kidneyFederico Vargas
Departments of Pediatrics and Pathology, Children s Hospital and Louisiana Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, LA 70118, USA
Pediatr Transplant 14:e54-7. 2010..The recurrent disease appeared to respond to increased immunosuppression, which included infliximab. However, the patient died of disseminated histoplasmosis three yr post-transplant...
- Chronic steroid and immunosuppressant therapy in childrenAbraham Gedalia
Division of Pediatric Rheumatology, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center and Children s Hospital, New Orleans, USA
Pediatr Rev 25:425-34. 2004
- Visual diagnosis: a child who has a worsening rashGeorge C Hescock
LSU Pediatrics Children s Hospital, New Orleans, LA, USA
Pediatr Rev 28:e1-5. 2007
- Simultaneous occurrence of diabetes mellitus and juvenile dermatomyositis: report of two casesRanju Singh
Department of Pediatrics and Medicine, LSU Health Sciences Center and Children s Hospital, New Orleans, Louisiana 70112, USA
Clin Pediatr (Phila) 42:459-62. 2003..We hypothesize that a common environmental trigger possibly a viral infection might have been responsible in causing 2 different autoimmune pathologies in these genetically predisposed individuals...
- Macrophage activation syndrome and etanercept in children with systemic juvenile rheumatoid arthritisHaroon Sawar
J Rheumatol 31:623; author reply 623-4. 2004
- Clinical case of the month. 3-year-old boy presenting with a hand rash. Juvenile dermatomyositisChristina G Kendrick
Harvard Medical Faculty Physicians Group, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J La State Med Soc 156:235-9; quiz 240. 2004..An understanding of these early clinical findings will enable physicians to make a timely diagnosis and commence therapy promptly in order to prevent life-threatening sequelae of the disease...
- Long-term efficacy and safety of etanercept in children with polyarticular-course juvenile rheumatoid arthritis: interim results from an ongoing multicenter, open-label, extended-treatment trialDaniel J Lovell
Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, Ohio 45229 3039, USA
Arthritis Rheum 48:218-26. 2003..All patients had been participants in an initial randomized efficacy and safety trial of etanercept...
- Pediatric sarcoidosisAvinash K Shetty
J Am Acad Dermatol 48:150-1. 2003
- Methotrexate as a possible trigger of macrophage activation syndrome in systemic juvenile idiopathic arthritisRuth Eraso
J Rheumatol 29:1104; author reply 1104-5. 2002
- Long-term safety and efficacy of etanercept in children with polyarticular-course juvenile rheumatoid arthritisDaniel J Lovell
Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, Ohio 45229, USA
Arthritis Rheum 54:1987-94. 2006..The goal of our study was to provide data on safety and efficacy after 4 years of etanercept treatment in patients with JRA...