R L Brunner
Affiliation: Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
- Evaluation of the impact and acceptance of a nutrition program in an HIV community clinicR L Brunner
Department of Family and Community Medicine, The University of Nevada School of Medicine, Reno, Nevada 89557, USA
AIDS Patient Care STDS 15:533-43. 2001..Favorable feedback about the program gave impetus to continue nutrition services in the clinic after the project period ended and supports its application in other sites and settings...
- Effects of conjugated equine estrogen on health-related quality of life in postmenopausal women with hysterectomy: results from the Women's Health Initiative Randomized Clinical TrialRobert L Brunner
Department of Family and Community Medicine, University of Nevada School of Medicine, Reno 89557, USA
Arch Intern Med 165:1976-86. 2005..Because CEE is still prescribed for treatment of menopausal symptoms and prevention of osteoporosis, it is important to understand the overall impact of this therapy on health-related quality of life (HRQOL)...
- Low-fat dietary pattern and risk of invasive breast cancer: the Women's Health Initiative Randomized Controlled Dietary Modification TrialRoss L Prentice
Division of Public Health Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Wash 98109, USA
JAMA 295:629-42. 2006..The hypothesis that a low-fat dietary pattern can reduce breast cancer risk has existed for decades but has never been tested in a controlled intervention trial...
- Calcium, vitamin D supplementation, and physical function in the Women's Health InitiativeRobert L Brunner
University of Nevada School of Medicine, PMB 251, MS 145, Reno, NV 89557, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 108:1472-9. 2008..Now we examine whether the treatment affected self-reported physical functioning and objective measures of physical functioning...
- Effect of estrogen plus progestin on global cognitive function in postmenopausal women: the Women's Health Initiative Memory Study: a randomized controlled trialStephen R Rapp
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Medicine, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, NC 27157, USA
JAMA 289:2663-72. 2003..On July 8, 2002, the estrogen plus progestin therapy in the WHI trial was discontinued because of certain increased health risks for women...
- Low-fat dietary pattern and risk of cardiovascular disease: the Women's Health Initiative Randomized Controlled Dietary Modification TrialBarbara V Howard
MedStar Research Institute Howard University, Washington, DC, USA
JAMA 295:655-66. 2006..Multiple epidemiologic studies and some trials have linked diet with cardiovascular disease (CVD) prevention, but long-term intervention data are needed...
- Calcium plus vitamin D supplementation and the risk of fracturesRebecca D Jackson
Division of Endocrinology, Ohio State University, 485 McCampbell, 1581 Dodd Dr, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
N Engl J Med 354:669-83. 2006..The efficacy of calcium with vitamin D supplementation for preventing hip and other fractures in healthy postmenopausal women remains equivocal...
- Calcium plus vitamin D supplementation and the risk of colorectal cancerJean Wactawski-Wende
Department of Social and Preventive Medicine, University at Buffalo, 270 Farber Hall, Buffalo, NY 14214, USA
N Engl J Med 354:684-96. 2006..However, randomized-trial evidence that calcium with vitamin D supplementation is beneficial in the primary prevention of colorectal cancer is lacking...
- Low-fat dietary pattern and risk of colorectal cancer: the Women's Health Initiative Randomized Controlled Dietary Modification TrialShirley A A Beresford
Department of Epidemiology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195 7236, USA
JAMA 295:643-54. 2006..Observational studies and polyp recurrence trials are not conclusive regarding the effects of a low-fat dietary pattern on risk of colorectal cancer, necessitating a primary prevention trial...
- Estrogen-plus-progestin use and mammographic density in postmenopausal women: Women's Health Initiative randomized trialAnne McTiernan
Division of Public Health Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98019, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 97:1366-76. 2005..Increased mammographic density reduces the sensitivity of screening mammography, is associated with increased breast cancer risk, and may be hormone related. We assessed the effect of estrogen-plus-progestin therapy on mammographic density...
- Effects of estrogen plus progestin on health-related quality of lifeJennifer Hays
Center for Women s Health, Department of Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston 77025, USA
N Engl J Med 348:1839-54. 2003..The Women's Health Initiative (WHI) and other clinical trials indicate that significant health risks are associated with combination hormone use. Less is known about the effect of hormone therapy on health-related quality of life...
- Understanding gender factors affecting self-rated healthRobert L Brunner
Gend Med 3:292-4. 2006
- Depressive symptoms, bone loss, and fractures in postmenopausal womenLeslie Spangler
Group Health Center for Health Studies, Seattle, WA, USA
J Gen Intern Med 23:567-74. 2008..Osteoporosis and depression may be associated through common physiologic systems or risk factors...