Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: Fox Chase Cancer Center
- Tumour development due to stroma permissivenessEdna Cukierman
Basic Science Tumor Cell Biology, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, PA 19111, USA
J Biosci 30:551-2. 2005
- Differential expressions of adhesive molecules and proteases define mechanisms of ovarian tumor cell matrix penetration/invasionYoungjoo Kwon
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, Kansas, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e18872. 2011....
- Controlled breast cancer microarrays for the deconvolution of cellular multilayering and density effects upon drug responsesMaria Håkanson
BioInterface Group, Laboratory for Surface Science and Technology, ETH Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
PLoS ONE 7:e40141. 2012..However, 3D models that reflect characteristics of the in vivo environment are typically too complex and do not allow the separation of discrete extrinsic parameters...
- The mesenchymal tumor microenvironment: a drug-resistant nicheEdna Cukierman
Cancer Biology Program, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Cell Adh Migr 6:285-96. 2012..Special emphasis is given to environment-mediated drug resistance in general and to cell adhesion-mediated drug resistance in particular...
- The benefits and challenges associated with the use of drug delivery systems in cancer therapyEdna Cukierman
Cancer Biology Program, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, PA 19111 2497, USA
Biochem Pharmacol 80:762-70. 2010....
- Physico-mechanical aspects of extracellular matrix influences on tumorigenic behaviorsEdna Cukierman
Fox Chase Cancer Center, Cancer Biology, 333 Cottman Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19111 2497, USA
Semin Cancer Biol 20:139-45. 2010..In this review we describe some of the physico-mechanical characteristics of tumor-associated ECMs believed to play important roles in regulating epithelial tumorigenic behaviors...
- Staged stromal extracellular 3D matrices differentially regulate breast cancer cell responses through PI3K and beta1-integrinsRemedios Castelló-Cros
Cancer Genetics and Signaling Program, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, PA 19111 2497, USA
BMC Cancer 9:94. 2009..The goal of this study was to analyze the direct effects of staged stroma-derived extracellular matrices on breast cancer cell behavior...
- Proprotein convertase inhibition results in decreased skin cell proliferation, tumorigenesis, and metastasisDaniel E Bassi
Department of Pathology, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, PA 19111, USA
Neoplasia 12:516-26. 2010..These results identify PACE4, together with other PCs, as suitable targets to slow down or block tumor progression, suggesting that PC inhibition is a potential approach for therapy for solid tumors...
- FAP-overexpressing fibroblasts produce an extracellular matrix that enhances invasive velocity and directionality of pancreatic cancer cellsHyung Ok Lee
Department of Medical Oncology, Fox Chase Cancer Center, 333 Cottman Avenue, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19111, USA
BMC Cancer 11:245. 2011..We tested the hypothesis that FAP enzymatic activity locally modifies stromal ECM (extracellular matrix) components thus facilitating the formation of a permissive microenvironment promoting tumor invasion in human pancreatic cancer...
- Stromagenesis: the changing face of fibroblastic microenvironments during tumor progressionDorothy A Beacham
Fox Chase Cancer Center, Basic Science Tumor Cell Biology, 333 Cottman Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19111 2497, USA
Semin Cancer Biol 15:329-41. 2005..These systems provide unique experimental tools to identify early alterations in stromagenesis that are supportive of tumor progression with the ultimate goal of blocking neoplastic permissiveness and restoring normal phenotypes...
- Preparation of extracellular matrices produced by cultured and primary fibroblastsDorothy A Beacham
Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Curr Protoc Cell Biol . 2007..Cell adhesion and spreading are normal on these matrices. This matrix can also be compressed into a two-dimensional matrix and solubilized to study the matrix biochemically...
- Enhanced aggressiveness of benzopyrene-induced squamous carcinomas in transgenic mice overexpressing the proprotein convertase PACE4 (PCSK6)Daniel E Bassi
Department of Pathology, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Mol Carcinog 54:1122-31. 2015..Thus, mice overexpressing PACE4 exhibited tumors of increased growth rate and invasive potential when exposed to the human carcinogen B(a)P, further supporting the significance of PCs in tumor growth and progression...
- Estrogen and cytochrome P450 1B1 contribute to both early- and late-stage head and neck carcinogenesisEkaterina G Shatalova
Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19111, USA
Cancer Prev Res (Phila) 4:107-15. 2011..024 and 0.008, respectively). These data provide novel insight into the mechanisms underlying head and neck carcinogenesis and facilitate the identification of new targets for chemopreventive intervention...
- Stromagenesis during tumorigenesis: characterization of tumor-associated fibroblasts and stroma-derived 3D matricesRemedios Castelló-Cros
Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Methods Mol Biol 522:275-305. 2009..It describes how to produce and characterize fibroblast-derived 3D matrices. Finally, it describes how to test matrix permissiveness by analyzing the morphology of cancer cells cultured within various 3D matrices...
- Stroma-derived three-dimensional matrices are necessary and sufficient to promote desmoplastic differentiation of normal fibroblastsMichael D Amatangelo
Basic Science Tumor Cell Biology, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, PA 19111 2497, USA
Am J Pathol 167:475-88. 2005..In this study, we demonstrate that in vivo-like three-dimensional matrices appear to have the necessary topographical and molecular information sufficient to induce desmoplastic stroma differentiation of normal fibroblasts...
- Ovarian normal and tumor-associated fibroblasts retain in vivo stromal characteristics in a 3-D matrix-dependent mannerRoderick M Quiros
Basic Science, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, PA 19111 2497, USA
Gynecol Oncol 110:99-109. 2008..Here, we introduce an in vivo-like 3-D system of mesenchymal stromal progression during ovarian tumorigenesis to support the study of stroma permissiveness in human ovarian neoplasias...
- The functional interplay between EGFR overexpression, hTERT activation, and p53 mutation in esophageal epithelial cells with activation of stromal fibroblasts induces tumor development, invasion, and differentiationTakaomi Okawa
Division of Gastroenterology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Genes Dev 21:2788-803. 2007....
- Fibroblast-derived 3D matrix differentially regulates the growth and drug-responsiveness of human cancer cellsIlya Serebriiskii
Division of Basic Science Tumor Cell Biology, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, PA 19111, United States
Matrix Biol 27:573-85. 2008..Based on these results, we propose that these matrices potentially have value as in vitro drug screening platforms...
- PACE4 expression in mouse basal keratinocytes results in basement membrane disruption and acceleration of tumor progressionDaniel E Bassi
Department of Pathology, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19111, USA
Cancer Res 65:7310-9. 2005..PACE4 overexpression resulted in enhanced susceptibility to carcinogenesis and tumor progression pointing to a new target for blocking tumor cell invasiveness...
- A visual-quantitative analysis of fibroblastic stromagenesis in breast cancer progressionEdna Cukierman
Division of Basic Science Tumor Cell Biology, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19111 2497, USA
J Mammary Gland Biol Neoplasia 9:311-24. 2004..Here we review stromagenic stages, experimental 3D systems, and discuss digital imaging analyses suitable for uncovering the mechanisms behind fibroblastic breast stromagenesis...
- Preparation of Extracellular Matrices Produced by Cultured and Primary FibroblastsJanusz Franco-Barraza
Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Curr Protoc Cell Biol 71:10.9.1-10.9.34. 2016..Cell adhesion and spreading are normal on these matrices. This matrix can also be compressed into a two-dimensional matrix and solubilized to study the matrix biochemically. © 2016 by John Wiley & Sons, Inc. ..
- Elevated expression of stromal palladin predicts poor clinical outcome in renal cell carcinomaVivekanand Gupta
Cancer Biology Program, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e21494. 2011..The clinical value of assessing RCC stromal activation merits further study...
- Multiple mechanisms of telomere maintenance exist in liposarcomasJay E Johnson
Department of Medical Oncology, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19111, USA
Clin Cancer Res 11:5347-55. 2005..Recent data suggest that constitutive telomere maintenance may not be required in all tumor types. Here we assess the role and requirement of telomere maintenance in liposarcoma...
- Structural and mechanistic insights into the recruitment of talin by RIAM in integrin signalingYu Chung Chang
Developmental Therapeutics Program, Fox Chase Cancer Center, 333 Cottman Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19111, USA
Structure 22:1810-20. 2014....
- The wound healing, chronic fibrosis, and cancer progression triadBrad Rybinski
Cancer Biology Program, Fox Chase Cancer Center Temple Health, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Physiol Genomics 46:223-44. 2014..Hence, here we review the relationship between fibrosis and cancer through the lens of wound healing. ..
- Cell migration analyses within fibroblast-derived 3-D matricesEdna Cukierman
Tumor Cell Biology, Basic Science, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Methods Mol Biol 294:79-93. 2005..Here we show how to measure the rates and directionality of fibroblasts motility within physiologically relevant in vivo-like cell-derived three-dimensional matrices...
- Human enhancer of invasion-cluster, a coiled-coil protein required for passage through mitosisMargret B Einarson
Division of Basic Science, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19111, USA
Mol Cell Biol 24:3957-71. 2004..These results place HEI-C as a novel regulator of spindle function and integrity during the metaphase-anaphase transition...
- A Rac switch regulates random versus directionally persistent cell migrationRoumen Pankov
Craniofacial Developmental Biology and Regeneration Branch, National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Cell Biol 170:793-802. 2005..Total Rac1 activity can therefore provide a regulatory switch between patterns of cell migration by a mechanism distinct from chemotaxis...
- uPARAP/Endo180 is essential for cellular uptake of collagen and promotes fibroblast collagen adhesionLars H Engelholm
Oral and Pharyngeal Cancer Branch, National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Cell Biol 160:1009-15. 2003..These studies identify a central function of uPARAP/Endo180 in cellular collagen interactions...
- Targeting membrane-localized focal adhesion kinase to focal adhesions: roles of tyrosine phosphorylation and SRC family kinasesBen Zion Katz
Craniofacial Developmental Biology and Regeneration Branch, NIDCR, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Biol Chem 278:29115-20. 2003..We propose here a molecular model for the tyrosine phosphorylation-dependent regulation of focal adhesion kinase organization involving Src kinases and an inhibitory phosphorylation of the C-terminal (Tyr-925) tyrosine residue...
- Cell-matrix adhesions on poly(vinyl alcohol) hydrogelsMiles B Zajaczkowski
Craniofacial Developmental Biology and Regeneration Branch, National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Tissue Eng 9:525-33. 2003..Furthermore, they imply that bioactive polymers can selectively induce specific cell-matrix adhesions, a characteristic that may have consequences in various tissue-engineering applications...
- Three-dimensional matrix induces sustained activation of ERK1/2 via Src/Ras/Raf signaling pathwayRalica Damianova
Department of Cytology, Histology and Embryology, Biological Faculty, Sofia University St Kliment Ohridski, 1164 Sofia, Bulgaria
Cell Biol Int 32:229-34. 2008..These observations suggest that within in vivo-like conditions Src may have a leading role in the induction of sustained ERK1/2 activation...
- Cell interactions with three-dimensional matricesEdna Cukierman
Craniofacial Developmental Biology and Regeneration Branch, National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 4370, USA
Curr Opin Cell Biol 14:633-9. 2002..These three-dimensional systems are illuminating mechanisms of cell-matrix interactions in living organisms...
- Primed Stroma: A Tumor Permissive MicroenvironmentEdna Cukierman; Fiscal Year: 2005..Developing therapeutic approaches focusing on containing cancer as a chronic and innocuous disease is our ultimate goal. ..